Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Sharpshooters

Can't believe how much money Iowa City is spending on this!!!
I can think of a better way & it will MAKE them some money.
26404-archer[1].gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
waytogo.gif
Great point

You are giving Iowa City to much credit by even thinking about that, too many liberals for a city limits hunt to ever happen, they would rather have them baited, shot and not pretend like they don't know what is happening rather than give hunters the opprotunity.

All they have to do is look at their neighbors in Coralville and Cedar Rapids and they can see the impact of the city limits hunt, I know CR was happy with the results thus far.

He contracted for 192 deer and they don't spend a lot of time deciding if it a doe or shed buck.Their % of buck to doe harvest isn't all that great.That came from a gentleman who knows Tony.

Bob Elliot, a councilman, is a friend of the family and is receptive to creative alternative ideas (bowhunting, etal). There a couple of people who sit on the council that will NEVER be swayed to other means. Unfortunately, they will hold office for some time in this liberal town.
frown.gif

A couple years ago I was on a team in one of my MBA classes that put together a paper comparing methods to reduce deer vehicle collisions. We looked at avoidance (high walls and fence, deer crossing tunnels, etc) and deer number reduction (sharpshooting, contraception, sterilization, and managed hunting).
Hands down, no contest, that fat lady sang- hunting is the only cost effective measure to reduce these collisions short of banning motor travel.

My in-laws lived in Coralville and had a wooded ravine out back of their house and there were always deer traveling through. One morning there was a very big 8 point bedded near their bird feeder, not 15 feet from the house! (some turkeys, too) But your probably right, way too many liberals in IC to let us hunters shoot a few.
smile.gif

I can't get the press citizen link to work. How many deer did they shoot in 04 and what was the fee?

Tracker,
It didn't appear to be straight forward in the article at a glance, as they blended numbers and fees togethor. Sent you a PM.

Thanks, I got it. So here's how I see it. Coralville bowhunters shot over 125 deer this year, and the city was PAID to do the hunting. White Buffalo is tyring to kill 150, and Iowa City is paying them to do it. So if you take the Coralville results and subtract them from the Iowa City proposed quota, then the difference is 25 deer. So the City of Iowa City is actually paying $50,000.00 for 25 deer that the bowhunters wouldn't have shot if they were allowed to hunt Iowa City. $2,000.00 a deer doesn't sound like much of a bargain.....
confused.gif

The "City of Iowa City" is actually the taxpayers getting ripped off by a couple of whacked elected officials. There are a couple of council members who are adament about NOT allowing hunting. They would like to relocate or have some type of birth control. Since neither of these is feasible at the time, they are under some delusional idea that sharpshooting is the preferred method. Maybe they think that bowhunters would derive pleasure where as the sharpshooters are mere assasins? I can't tell you what their thoughts are, only a guess.
confused.gif

In the long run, it is the taxpayers who get the shaft. If this was a big issue among the Iowa City voting populace, these council members shouldn't be in office long. I'm not holding my breath!

I doubt you'll ever see camo Birkenstocks at a city council meeting.
Why is this thread in the harvest section?

OH GREAT!! A Co. from OUT EAST!! $$ WELL SPENT!!! We did the same here in MI. years ago!! Spent $$ on Lawyers!!

[ QUOTE ]
But your probably right, way too many liberals in IC to let us hunters shoot a few.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Careful now. I live in Iowa City, I consider myself to be a liberal and I'm all for bow hunting. I hunted in Coralville this year. Rather than liberals I would prefer to call them delusionals. I'll tell you how crazy these delusionals are. The same people sit on the Animal Use committee at the University. In order for me to do a human study I have to fill out 7 pages of paerwork. In order for me to do a study on mice I have to fill out 23 pages of paperwork. I don't see them allowing a bow hunt any time soon.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
waytogo.gif
Great point

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree!!!!!!!

Top Bottom