Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Shed Bucks

Slinger

My stepdad and a few of his friends did a push with muzzys last Sunday. The saw 24 deer on the push and no antlers. One of his friends shot a shed buck. He was completely scabbed over. Any idea on how long that would take to heal up? I have also been having problems finding bucks. I had 19 does in a field the other night. No bucks, at least none carrying. I am not giving up though. I wasn't really anticipating all this snow this year.

My stepdad and a few of his friends did a push with muzzys last Sunday. The saw 24 deer on the push and no antlers. One of his friends shot a shed buck. He was completely scabbed over. Any idea on how long that would take to heal up? I have also been having problems finding bucks. I had 19 does in a field the other night. No bucks, at least none carrying. I am not giving up though. I wasn't really anticipating all this snow this year.

I have been taking pictures of shed bucks but most are still packin' and I have been watching as many as 15 bucks at a time in my food plots every evening.

Right across the fence my neighbors are seeing only does because of the open field areas so it depends on where you hunt. Personally I would not even consider driving deer this time of year because it is nearly impossible to pick out a shed buck on the run.

Sitting... I can carefully observe deer and easily pick out the shed bucks and avoid killing an animal I may have let walk earlier....;)

Last two weekends I have had a big ole pot belly slob in my plot
that would always feed by itself at the far corner.
I am pretty sure it is a shed buck.
Have also seen smaller deer still packin.

Luckily I was there two weeks ago when I took a buddy hunting.
That poor shed buck would definitely be table fare by now.

Just be careful and identify for sure what you shoot.

Good Luck.

I am glad you still have bucks hitting your plot. That is good for you. You are located in SE Iowa? How much snow do you have? I think the deer in NE Iowa, where I am hunting, are under a lot more stress than your deer down there. My parents farm has at least 2' of snow everywhere and some drifts are 3x as high. I had 21 antlerless deer run by me today on the same drive they did on Sunday. I didn't even raise my gun to my shoulder. I have been sitting a lot and I am positive that I have had shed bucks feeding in front of me. Frustrating to say the least. Terrible year to be an out of state hunter. With my gas and preference point I am already in for over $900. I am not giving up though.

I am not giving up though.

Good luck! Hope a good one comes your way!

It's 54 degrees here in SE Iowa today...snow is gone now so no worries about stressing deer here! ;)

I am glad you still have bucks hitting your plot. That is good for you. You are located in SE Iowa? How much snow do you have? I think the deer in NE Iowa, where I am hunting, are under a lot more stress than your deer down there.

Hopefully some of that snow melts for you.

We have 2 - 3 feet like you also.

Have to wear snowshoes to get anywhere.

I love those thigh high drifts.

Dbl tree is in SE Iowa. He never gets any snow. :moon:

I was surprised how much the snow shrunk. I would say around 10"(that's what she said) Now it is cold again.

PLEASE make the next few weeks with late antlerless season go fast! Please let these shed bucks be crafty as ever! :) These posts just get me thinking of how bad that season needs to go by-by!

PLEASE make the next few weeks with late antlerless season go fast! Please let these shed bucks be crafty as ever! :) These posts just get me thinking of how bad that season needs to go by-by!

Ditto. I just got done having serious convo with my dad since he hunts the late Jan. season.

I am going to be doing some pushes tomorrow again. I once again won't raise my gun unless it is a monster. I would feel absolutely terrible if I shot a shed buck. I have a few fields where I plan on filling my doe tag. I would prefer to shoot a buck this way, but I am not seeing any.

Top Bottom