Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Shed wars

Personally, I think it has got ridiculous the last couple years. Everyone wants to do it, but majority don't have permission to walk on the ground and they don't care.

I don't mind the people that have permission that's all fine and dandy, just don't trespass and make all of us look bad. I got so many people on camera this year its sad.

I just feel fortunate they leave the cameras alone!!

Greedy people these days.
I want the shed hunting and hunting for me me me.

IMO you are one of the exceptions here. Not everyone has thousands of acres to hunt and can go out and stumble over sheds all day. From personal experience, walking private land with boot tracks all over is not fun at all.

Honesty since this is on the sportsman's channel I really doubt it's gonna raise awareness too much about shed hunting. A specific niche watches that channel so I wouldn't make a big deal out of it. Guys posting stuff on Facebook probably does more damage.

Last edited:
Has nothing to do with me me me!!! I would love to brag about all the antlers i find but dont dare do it because of them reasons. i enjoy the sport to much to have tons of people looking for sheds. its not about greed. Im just not a big fan of coming across some guy looking for sheds that r only in it for the money. ruins the sport of it. Iv already been turned down by farmers because they found out the previous guys they let on there land sold the sheds for money. Its gonna lead to having seasons on it, having to pay for a liscence and all that good stuff. And believe me im from mn and they'll be the first to enforce it.

Thinking I should just bite the bullet and go into debt for life and buy the $800k hunting preserve that I have been eyeing. I can charge for hunts and then charge people to come look for antlers and charge them by the inch to keep the antlers they find. The crappy reality of the future of hunting in the US.

'In the wild, stress and natural factors cause deer and elk to shed antlers from time to time.'

This writer really knows his stuff:rolleyes:

'In the wild, stress and natural factors cause deer and elk to shed antlers from time to time.' This writer really knows his stuff:rolleyes:

That statement was framed around guys running the animals with quads trying to force them to drop the antlers or literally run them to death.

Personally, I think it has got ridiculous the last couple years. Everyone wants to do it, but majority don't have permission to walk on the ground and they don't care.

I don't mind the people that have permission that's all fine and dandy, just don't trespass and make all of us look bad. I got so many people on camera this year its sad.

I just feel fortunate they leave the cameras alone!!

Exactly!! I could post pics of shed horn trespassers from the last three years in a row. Some start already the first week of January!! Last year I kicked a guy off my land from 30 miles away. I will never figure out why someone would want a shed horn from land they can't hunt; unless they intend to sell it.

I've gotten pics of guys walking past my camera with an antler in their hand 2 years in a row in Illinois.....It is ridiculous. Only thing worse imo is mushroom hunters

Exactly!! I could post pics of shed horn trespassers from the last three years in a row. Some start already the first week of January!! Last year I kicked a guy off my land from 30 miles away. I will never figure out why someone would want a shed horn from land they can't hunt; unless they intend to sell it.

There are people, and not one or two, that come to Iowa from other states and stay for a few days just to shed hunt in prime areas of the state. I will not throw a blanket over all of them, but at least some of them are known not to respect property lines too much, shall we say.

At least some of these guys are hard core and pretty well educated about where food plots are and who owns what land, etc, and can often be caught on trail cam with disguises, face masks or head nets...presumably to keep the deer from recognizing them. :rolleyes:

I would have never believed such a thing, had you told me this say 20 years ago...now, it is not uncommon...at least in some areas.

Top Bottom