Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Should I clean Muzzleloader?

b0huntr147

Last weekend I sighted in my muzzleloader which is a Knight Revolution 2 with the a stainless steel barrel. It took me 8 shots to get it where I wanted it, as just put the scope on it a few weeks ago.

I have read some conflicting things about whether I should clean it before taking it out hunting this weekend. What do you guys think?

I always clean mine. Also between each shot I go with two wet and one dry patch. Even with cleaning and oiling my ss barrel it has some rust which doesn't make me happy.

yes clean it, then fire a primer thru it to dissolve any left over cleaner or oil that may be in the breech.

I would definitely clean it then. If you were not swabbing between shots during site in, I would suggest cleaning it and possibly shooting another round out of a clean barrel just to make sure it shoots the same on a clean barrel as a dirty barrel. You sighted in dirty then the first shot out (the one that counts) is out of a clean barrel, using triple 7 or pyrodex can make a big difference between dirty and clean. Just a suggestion.

Okay thanks everyone for the insight, I will get it out tonight and clean it out. So from what I understand pyrodex is a much cleaner burning powder? I may have to get some for next year.

Maybe a little, but not much cleaner. Do some research and see if that gun can shoot Blackhorn 209 powder. It will depend on the breech plug as to whether it can or can't. Blackhorn 209 is extremely consistent shooting and much less corrosive than either triple 7 or pyrodex. It cleans very easily as well.
With either 777 or pyrodex, be sure to always clean after you shoot. There may be times where you don't necessarily have to, but why risk it?

Not to hijack but lots of you are using blackhorn, and I have wanted to switch but have not yet and am using triple7 pellets as well. Do you measure with a scale to get consistent loads? Or does a measuring stick work? I use the stick for my .54 cal Hawken and it works but there isn't a ton of longer shots with that.

Not to hijack but lots of you are using blackhorn, and I have wanted to switch but have not yet and am using triple7 pellets as well. Do you measure with a scale to get consistent loads? Or does a measuring stick work? I use the stick for my .54 cal Hawken and it works but there isn't a ton of longer shots with that.

I use a scale just to get them dialed in more consistently.

You can measure both methods. The grains are more consistent compared to 777 but i prefer to measure. The OP, when you said fired 8 times and using 777, then clean the barrel and like stated shoot a couple primers before loading. Were you cleaning between shots when sighting in? Only reason I ask is because my ml shot different with dirty barrel meaning after 1st shot compared to a clean barrel. I had it sighted in with a dirty barrel and always shot a load either the day before or so before hunting. I was good for 6 or 7 more shots before the grud ring left behind by 777 made it almost impossible to seat the bullet.

I went from triple7 powder to blackhorn, and went back to triple7. I hunt late season and never had a hang fire with triple7. It happened several seasons for me with blackhorn. I'm not one for firing my gun off at the end of each day. I don't like to clean the gun every evening, and just want to hunt. Blackhorn is prone to moisture after several days of going from a heated vehicle to sub freezing temps.

I went from triple7 powder to blackhorn, and went back to triple7. I hunt late season and never had a hang fire with triple7. It happened several seasons for me with blackhorn. I'm not one for firing my gun off at the end of each day. I don't like to clean the gun every evening, and just want to hunt. Blackhorn is prone to moisture after several days of going from a heated vehicle to sub freezing temps.
Not to question your intelligence or knowledge, but were you using an approved BH 209 breech plug AND a hot primer? From what I've read, powders such as pyrodex and triple 7 are more susceptible to taking on moisture than BH209. Also, for what it's worth, I wouldn't suggest taking a loaded muzzleloader from freezing to hot and back and forth. This WILL create condensation in the barrel which can wreak havoc on any powder. Wet powder = misfires and or hangfires.

Do yourself a favor and leave the gun in the trunk or in the pickup bed. Letting it warm up after freezing temps is a recipe for heartbreak.

Use Blackhorn 209, measure by volume, 90 grains.

Shot my Encore yesterday after loading it November 15th (21 days), went off without an issue and it's been in and out of the house 7 times. I've been doing this for 25 years and never a sign hangfire.

Top Bottom