Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Should I hunt???

ducks&bucks

I have a 40 acre woodlot that I bowhunt. This 40 acres butts up to additional acres of timber/pasture that I can't hunt. Decent enough spot and I am lucky enough to have sole permission to hunt it. Unfortunately, it is the only private land I have to hunt.

The land owner just told me that he would be out there most of the day Saturday clearing brush with a chainsaw, repairing fences, etc.

I have a couple of days off next week to hunt and this has kind of puts a damper on things. I am going to hunt either way, but how much impact do you think this will have. Am I better off going duck hunting, or is it a normal "rural" activity that the deer will watch from a distance and not get too aggitated about? I appreciate the help.

If he will be there Saturday and your going to hunt a few days later, I would say "no big deal".

Farmers are always out fixing fence, and working in the fields and it doesn't run all the deer out of the country. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

id be out there! get on a consistent travel corridor as far from him as possible and ill bet you see the deer!

years ago, i was helping my dad and brother hang a stand, it got to be about prime time, (bad time to hang a stand, but thats how we did it back then) so i left my dad and bro and went and climbed up in my stand. i was only about 60 yards off and could see them plain as day. shortly after i got in the stand a very respectable 8 pointer came sneaking through! i was shocked, i didnt plan on seeing anything..... long story short, i missed at 10 yards..... dont ask.... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

but he had to have passed them at about 50 yards at some point, and knew they were there making all sorts of noise, but he sneaked by and i wiffed it....

moral of the story is, they will be out there, but will avoid the human intrusion. when your land owner is done clearing, ill bet they come out of the woodwork! its the rut, there is not a bad time to be in the stand

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
good luck
/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

I burn wood and have been out cutting and have had deer come to the saws so i dont think it would bother them much. Not unless he is cutting real close to you, mite drive you nuts listening to the saw run though. Give it a shot. Its going to be pretty warm on saturday, maybe to warm. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Absolutely hunt if you got the right wind. It is prime time. The resident deer know this guys scent and his habits and watch him work year round and have probably seen this routine before. Seeing him do things around the farm is "normal" for them and unalarming. I would bet that even the big guys disregard his scent as non threatening if they haven't been pressured too much.

I would give it a shot, just hunt the opposite side as him.
Last night my neighbor came in on his side and was dinking around with his splitter and started a pile of brush on fire, was throwing stuff in the back of his truck. The whole time I had deer around me and they didn't even flinch. He was probably 200 yards away. He is back there all the time cutting wood and burning brush piles so I guess they are just use to him being around. Give it a whirl it can't hurt to try.

Top Bottom