Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Slug season.....

G

GunnerJon

Well, its almost here! I am going to be itching to get out in the woods this week! Even after 10 seasons....I still get pumped about opening day of slug season. Anyone else out there getting ready? Good luck and good hunting!

Yep, got everything ready to go and the muzzleloader sighted in. So far the extended forecasts don't sound too bad.

Ready to reach out and touch that 160" that kept making a fool out of me during the archery season. (my wife says that's not hard to do)
grin.gif

HARD CORE PREPARATIONS UNDER WAY!

Sunday sited in my new rifled slug barrel, the first one I have ever owned of my own. Helped TWO first time deer hunters site in there guns. (One a boy, 12, and his mom! She does Camo justice! Don't know where she buy hers, but they come with great bumps!)

Sunday evening spent by the fire with Holiday music on as my lovely spousal unit (her camo has awesome bumps in the front too!) made our list, checked it twice. We are usually so prepared for hunting that if others we are with forget something, we got it covered. (extra gloves? here ya go. Asprin? Yep!, Knife? I brought 7!)

Last evening I taught my sister how to take down and clean her 870, she just bought her first one this summer. No more borrowing one of mine! The wife made up a bunch of kick ass holiday baskets to provide to the incredible land owners that we have taken SO many deer on over the years. Got a little more shopping to do for various needed items and we are rocking and rolling.

leaving Council Tucky around noon on Friday to stay in Red Oak. Take the land owner out for supper down in Corning and it's all good.

No snow here in central Iowa, and don't see any through the weekend, only temps in the forties. I've got landowners and second season tags. Third year of slug hunting and can't wait to bag my second deer!

As a bowhunter, I call this the season of paybacks. All those bucks that hung up at 50 yards or rocketed past my stand chasing does can now be reached out and touched by my slug gun.

can't wait 'til Saturday morning! Just abused the hell out of myself sighting in three shotguns this week. I am praying for snow Friday.... has it snowed in Central Iowa yet.

RUN DEER RUN!!!
Hide from the mass sworms of ORANGE.
Sorry just a bow hunter venting because I have not been able to fill my tag after endless hours of sitting in my stands. Now the orange will probably take the deer I've hunted all season, and they will only spend two days "hunting" I think thats what they call it.

Bundy,I feel your pain,I also have not filled my tag yet but when your hunting for the big boy's it take's a little longer.I lost a brute on the 12th of Nov and have not seen another shooter in range since.I was out tonight and I'll say this,there still chasing does,I watched 3 buck's chasing about 7 or8 does around for about 15 minute's and had several deer within 10 yard's of me but nothing I wanted to shoot,2 of the buck's were basket rack's and the other will be a very nice deer next year if he make's it through the year.
Good luck to everyone and be safe and ethical out there,our future depend's on it.
Buckhunter

I saw a documentary on TV about how rattle snakes are rounded up out west by an annual event. I think it was in Texas. It reminded me of the Iowa shotgun methods. To much like ridding the land of vermin for me. I give the lowly coyote more respect than that.
I encourage everyone to shotgun hunt, it makes of great solitude during the late BP season.

Having a great time with fair weather to boot. Sitting in my stand with my muzzleloader watching the woods all day waiting for something to come by and listening to the others around me getting some excercise of the trigger finger.

Being fairly new to the gun side of things as life long bowhunter, I am very thankful for the bow season we have. WE HAVE IT MADE. And rather than run down some others methods of hunting because it is not my way, I'm fortunate that I do not only have 5 days to enjoy bowhunting for deer.

Best of luck to everyone and be safe.

[This message has been edited by BW (edited 12-04-2001).]

After hunting Slug season for 22 years, starting when I was 12 so you can do some math if'n ya want 2, We are seriously considering IF WE WILL EVER hunt it again.

SCREW THIS SHIT! I have yet to see the reports but STUPIDITY is WAY UP this year, TRESSPASSING VIOLATIONS at a perceived all time high!!!

In one field that NOBODY HAD PERMISSION TO BE IN OTHER THAN US!!! We felt like a Taliban in a cave with so many bullets zipping around.

Goes to show you, Stupid people should not breed.

May stick to bow hunting only in the future or go back to second season. Just need to figure out a way to still be able to include my wife, sister and my dad's current wife. All three would love to bow hunt but each check in at about a buck ten soaking wet. Having trouble getting bows to work for them.

I'm starting to agree about shotgun season....this "Party Hunting" technique has produced the most unethical hunting behavior I've seen in my 37 years of hunting. I'd like to see it banned, it produces more slob hunters than deer hunting's reputation needs. Wish the DNR would ban "Party Hunting"...it's just turned into a party for slobs from what I've seen...

I too may just do archery and late season Blackpowder.

I am not going to put down anything that anyone says about slug hunters and party hunting......I am a slug hunter, but I hunt from treestands. I also love to hunt with my muzzleloader with my landowners tag, and my dad is an avid bowhunter. Before people go off and put down any kind of hunting and people....realize that alot of the "party-hunting" is responsible for keeping the deer herd in check. I have seen alot of slob hunters out there, and it disgusts me.....but I also know a lot of good, ethical hunters out there that are considered "party-hunters". I don't participate in that kind of hunting....but I see its place in controlling the deer population. Just my thoughts.....
Good hunting!

First of all, there are too many anti-hunters out there trying to stop us from what we love to do. We, as hunters, can not afford to have our own trying to creat more problems. There is such a thing as the domino effect where, for example, they ban party hunting. The next year they may ban shotgun hunting and following year ban hunting all together! This is an extreme example, but similar things have happened. There are "outlaws" out there, but there are many more people who do things by the book! The people that don't will get what they have coming to them one way or another.

Secondly, I have done both types of hunting and let me tell you I enjoy party hunting much more than stand hunting! When I party hunt it is with my family and friends. We do plenty of bullsh*tting between drives and people get a lot more action. I have better success with wallhangers from a stand, but not near the memories!

Finally, you people who only hunt stands would not have nearly the success if there were not people driving deer over the next hill.

A friend of mine works with a warden's wife. She told him this year was by far the worst in regards to calls/complaints. I have no problem with party hunting, but it just seems to bring out the worst in some people. I understand that it is necessary for the control of the herd, but I think no more than 5 other states even allow it. If we want to keep doing it we need to keep ourselves in check.

And we are stretching it when we call it 'hunting', in my opinion. I give kudos to the stand hunters, but when there are 20-30 in a group driving a property, there is just not very much hunting skill involved.

Swanny,

I'll agree with the skill part if you are a bow hunter! If not, give me a break! There is no way, with the advances in slug guns and ML's, that there is more skill involved in stand hunting. You can set a stand up on the edge of any corn field in Iowa and expect to see a deer with 150 yds! I will go as far as to say that stand hunting, if you have the patience, is probably easier than party hunting. If you want to talk about skill then let's talk to the still hunters! I don't even shotgun hunt anymore, but who am I to pass judgement on what people consider hunting! When I did, there were some of the 20-30 person groups that hunted the same land we did, but it never stopped us from getting deer! Tresspassing and all the other stuff will take place regardless of people party hunting. There are few things we all have to remember is that hunting is a priveledge, not a right! I will always say that a bad day of hunting is better than a good day at work!

Tell me if this is what you'd call "hunting"?

We chased off 5 different groups of "Party Hunters" 12 pickups loads with about 30 hunters, all claimed to have had permission, however; the majority didn't know who's land they were on....guys using high power rifles under the pretense they are coyote hunting, sophisticated radio's in their trucks similar to what is used by the military so the channels can't be monitored.....people chasing deer with pickups and shooting from their vehicle windows....people using tags under the names of their wives and kids....hunters riding in the back of pickups with loaded guns shooting at anything they can chase up....these are the "party hunters" I'm seeing.

For the most part, you don't see this kind of activity when people are hunting "one on one" for deer...granted there may be ethical party hunters, but we are not seeing them. It's mob mentality, one guy says he knows where they can hunt and the rest follow without finding out whether permission was obtained.

Adair county's conservation officer has been informed of this over the last few years....and it continues. We never saw a sign of any DNR last weekend....

I've been a Hunter Ed Instructor for over 15 years, trained my children and hundreds of others in the responsible and ethical way to hunt...but it does no good if there is no enforcement of the law. Examples need to be made of these slobs. Sending a loud and clear message concerning this behavior is what's needed. I'm told it's difficult to get the evidence for conviction....I suppose it is when your not around during opening weekend. If they are not going to be around to enforce the laws then do away with the root cause...."Party Hunting".

You can probably tell I'm just a little upset, I've never seen it as bad as it was last weekend. I'm almost ready to give up hunting...

smokepole....Yes, I am a bowhunter. And please, give ME a friggin' break!!!!!!! Explain to me the skill in pushing the deer to a group of drivers! I am not talking about ballistics or stuff like that. I am talking about what I call hunting. If a guy sets a stand up where he has scouted deer to be, and hunts that way, I believe alot more skill is involved in that than driving. I could give a rat's @@% less about how that is not hunting to you. Driving deer involves the least amount of skill hunting there is, for the most part.

This particular DNR officer informed him that this is the worst he has seen in regards to tresspassing and NRs hunting on res. tags. I did not say it didn't go on during bow season, as the poaching posts have shown. It is just rampant during gun season...read the posts on here of people who have put up with it year after year and are sick of it.

And lastly, party hunting promotes an individual to get their mother, grandmother, deceased grandmother, and dog a tag just so they can shoot more. Since party hunting is not allowed during bowseason, this is not nearly as bad a problem as gun season. These are my personal observations,feelings,facts,and experiences. You have your own, but don't attack me for mine.

Swanny

Isnt hunting supposed to pose a challenge? To hunt, you have to allow the game or species you are hunting a chance to escape. It seems to me that when your driving deer with thirty people, the game don't stand a chance. I think the most important part of this discussion is to eliminate those party hunters that have no respect for laws, rules, and regulations. I personally don't party hunt, but I can't argue against it because the purpose of hunting deer is to maintain the population. One thing I can say is the people that Rembrandt mentioned in his post, (slob hunters), are the one's that give "the party hunt" a bad name. I know that there are party hunters who are safe and obey the rules and I respect these people. Now those "other hunters," GOOD LUCK TO YA! I will agree 100% with swanny that people who get tags using other names or family members need to be shut down. I believe there should be stricter laws concerning this but I'll leave this up to the DNR. And as for tresspassers? You are not welcome on my land, nor are your friends. Every year I catch at least 100 people who think they know me or have had permission to hunt my land for years. Come on guys, Isnt that excuse getting old. Lets come up with something a little more intelligent. Since my timber adjoins a state park, you can imagine what I deal with every year. Hunting IS a privilege, not a right. But if I could take that privilege away from trespassers, you bet your ass that I would. Some people don't realize the trouble they would save themselves if they JUST ASKED PERMISSION. The land owner may say yes or no, but either way, you found out legally. All of us have our own opinions but we should remember one thing, the LAW is the LAW, and that.......we share.
BT

I know gunner pretty well and I seriously doubt he posted this thread with the intention of providing a ground for members to attack each other. Why don't the disagreeing parties start a new thread to settle this, and leave this one for its original purpose?

Loesshunter

Top Bottom