Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Slug season.....

Big Country, I have bought 2 bow tags for the last couple years, and to be honest, I have never shot a buck with my bow, only does. I had a shot at a good size buck this year at 20 yards, but passed it up because of a bunch of twigs in the way. I would rather shoot a doe right off the bat and get meat in the frezzer, and hope a mature buck comes along later. I just wish I could get it through the head of my hunting buddy that if he would pass up on that small racked buck and shoot a doe, that buck will get bigger next year. JMO

[This message has been edited by iabowhunter (edited 12-05-2001).]

Acrum, regarding the radios...one of the guys doing this claims the DNR can't monitor their radios. The group had some radio repair guy add features that allows the frequencies to constantly change....thus making it almost impossible to monitor or pin point the source of transmission. I'm not that up on radios, but I understand the military uses similar technology to keep from being monitored.

How many tags are sold each year 150,000 +. Of the hunters buying tags how many are causing us to argue amoung ourselves? A very small, small percent. We all are unique individuals and having slighly different views and values (small deer- big deer, doe -buck, quiet solitude- family friend fellowship, a never ending challenge - meat for the table.) the list is endless.

I love the outdoors and at times I love the fellowship. I don't like fences but there's plenty of public ground.

Safety. Its safer to hunt from the ground than up a tree. But that doesn't stop most bow hunters (including myself from climbing a tree). You're more likley to be shot during shotgun season than bow. But if I were to put odds on getting shot or falling from a tree, the tree would win. ( how many hunters shot this season so far: 3) How many have fallen from a tree? I would also say that tree hunters are in the minority.

Bottom line we all love hunting. Even the ya-hoos. There are things we can do that are constructive and there are things that we do that are destructive. ( I feel this post has become some what destructive)

Laws are laws. They are put in place for our health and to protect us and our family.
How many of us drive over the speed limit?
How many of us had a drink before it was legal? How many have died or suffered because these laws were broken?

I thank God for this great earth, the animals, people and the challenges He lays before me.

I respect all the people who have posted replies on this wonderful sight, even though we may not see eye to eye.

Good luck to all.
Pray for me and wish me luck !
My wife and I are about to bring our first child into this world of GOD.

(I hope She/He will follow and appreciate this great sport of hunting)
Deer and more.

VERY good post Tineseeker! Hopefully you put some things in the right perspective for some guys.Good luck to you and your wife and everyone else.Be Safe

Very interesting thread.

I've seen bowhunters, shotgunners, muzzleloader hunters, stand hunters, deer drivers and party hunters who were great sportsmen, hunted ethically, hunted safely, respect landowners, other hunters and the wildlife.

I've also run across each of above types of hunters who have no respect for the animals they hunt, the land they hunt on or the people who own it. They threaten the great sport of hunting that so many of us love. Unfortunately the slob hunter, the trespasser, the poacher are the ones who get the press and the ones who hunters and nonhunters alike keep talking about. They are distorting the image of the majority of hunters who I think are good sportsmen and women.

If hunting is going to continue in the long run we, as hunters, need to clean up our act. Those who can not play by the rules need to be turned in and gotten out of the sport. Get on your cell phone and call your warden or sheriff when needed. Insist on results. In some states there is a $2,000 fine and loss of hunting privileges for several years for trespass.

Hunting is a very important part of my life. How much does the opportunity to hunt mean to you?

Old buck

150 class,
When I was talking about using other names for tags I was including all hunting types. Bow, shotgun, party hunting, black powder, It doesn't matter what kind of hunting it is, it happens. I know the laws and I am fully aware of them.
When I was talking about 30 party hunts? All I know is that when I shoot a deer (buck or doe) there aren’t 30 people to help me. Yes you are right that a deer can get away from 30 people but think of the odds. 30:1 (party) or 1:1)? Would you call these fair odds? I would probably bet on 30:1. I like to get away from the daily grind, that is why I bow hunt AND shotgun hunt. There is skill in all types of hunts, party, driving or whatever. You have to be a good shot with all weapons. If not, everyone would hunt. I am not targeting a single group but in my experiences the bigger party (20+) hunters have been to blame.
As far as illegal accusations? I have put around 100 people in legal predicaments. I'm not complaining or whining, I'm addressing the problem. Since I can't be in my timber all day, I have a damn good reason to be upset about trespassers. Do you not agree? If you own your own land I'm sure you would agree that trespassers make you mad. Explain to me how you turn in trespassers who run away when you confront them. On my land the timber stretches for miles, even if you call the sheriff (which I do) who's to say they will be caught? I do everything in my power to eliminate these people but it still doesn't solve the problem.
The reason I joined this site was to share experiences and learn of others experiences. I enjoy all of your posts/replies whether I agree or not. We all are entitled to our own opinion which makes this site so great. I also realize that Gunner Jon did not intend on starting this disagreement, but argument is an aspect of life.
Once again I will say that I enjoy all of your posts and replies. Disagreements of all kinds have occurred and some never resolved. This is one of those issues that will probably never be resolved and that’s just fine. Anyway, since the rut ended this site has slowed down a bit and this gives us something to talk about.
BT

I wholeheartedly agree with swanny that you should take your own deer. The DNR kind of opened this up by allowing people to continue to hunt even after they have used their tag. In the "old" days when you tagged out, you were done for the year. Also, the new ELS system allows everybody and their brother to get a license at the last minute.I'm glad their jacking up the fines on violators. I just wish more people had the stones to turn in the locals who do just as much damage as the NR's but just not as obvious. More ramblings to come. Late.

A lot of the groups in the slug season are landowners & family that provide our hunting opportunities for us during the bow and muzzleloader seasons. They are not all are irresponsible hunters.

I have really noticed a holier than thou and selfish attitude specifically among us bowhunters in the last few years. We have it made and we still want more. What are many of us going to do when all the land is leased or bought up by the folks that think this way?

Slobs are out there during bow & Mzldr seasons also, they are just spread out more. I know good and well so called ethics and other things go out the door often when the big one gets in front of us. I have seen it. Share what you can when you can in the field.

I took a former group hunter with me this year and sat on stand. It was a little boring for him at times but he seemed to appreciate it and I offered it as another way to hunt, not the only way.

One on one is great for me and you, but in all my years of hunting, I do not recall any cut in stone method to pursue the quarry. Driving, standing, stalking, etc...Bow, gun, or whatever.

Someone mentioned comaraderie, that is very much a part of the gun season besides herd management which us trophy hunters do not do very well quite often. Our hunting friends will likely attend our funerals before our big buck mounts.

Hunters need to stick together.

[This message has been edited by BW (edited 12-06-2001).]

SmokePole: Our situations are very similar it would appear.

We have 6 that always hunt together. 5 are family, My wife, sister, Dad his current wife one of my best friends (Dad likes him to or he wouldn't be around) and myself. We have been invited to hunt the same ground for 5 years and ALWAYS have a meeting the night prior to plan it out. How long will you stay in your spot, who will walk where, ect.

To me, the most enjoyable part is just being with the friends and family. Not filling the tags. This is the first year that we didn't get them all filled. Partly due the fact that where we did hunt after being invaded my the 20 asswipes from Des Moines the deer where so spooked once you stepped into a draw or tree line, they friggin bolted.

Shit happens. I still had an awesome time. The ladies all shot deer, two really nice does and my wife took her biggest buck!!!!! She kicks ass with her 1100 12gauge. Even though I have to buy her Youth camo clothes! Classic. To us, a deer is a deer. It is about the hunt first. the kill is way down on the list.

We love to take big does, some of the best damn eating on the planet. I will search for does again during anterless time. Also have a doe tag for my bow, as does pappy.

The spousal unit and I were able to get out for a couple of hours this week each day. We finished up the season last night by seeing 9 deer total, 5 bucks, one INCREDIBLE bad boy. I had a shot at about 125 yards that didn't connect so for the first time since in years, I didn't fill my tag.

Big deal! last night, we grilled the tenderloins from my wifes buck, enjoyed a fire and Merlot and couldn't believe what a great time we had.

Then, we started talking about going out again, after more does.

I can't wait.

Sludge
It sounds like you at least salvaged part of your season and enjoyed yourself, glad to hear it. I stopped hunting shotgun season about 14 years ago when I figured there were too many folks out there then to compete with. I went to the late muzzleloader season so I could enjoy some solitude again like I USED TO bowhunting and now it looks like that is starting to go the same route. I enjoy the hunt and the peace and quiet and when I have to fight off others to try to enjoy it then it just frustrates me to the point of quiting all together. There is one thing about the late muzzleloader season that will keep it reasonable though and that's the cold will keep most of the slobs on the couch in front of the TV. ;-)
G6

I have not cut down gun hunters. I cut down the METHOD used to gun hunt. I could care less if someone gun hunts, just shoot your own deer! If you actually read my posts you would understand that.

Hello this is my first time posting here but I have been following this board pretty regular. I live in Minnesota, but only about 30 miles from the Iowa border, I have also bowhunted Iowa a few years back.
I am an avid bowhunter and I also shotgun hunt.
First of all in my hunting group we make drives and small pushes. We have had pretty good success in the 9 years that I have been hunting, we have only lost 2 bucks ever. We usually have between 8 and 12 people in our group and we ONLY go on land we can hunt. Just because we do drives doesn't mean we stomp all over everybody elses hunting grounds.
Second of all, swanny make a coment about "he didn't see the point of driving deer out of a woods so they can be unloaded on by a bunch of standers". Well in my area that is far from the case, everybody makes sure that when they shoot they are shooting in a safe area and at an animal they wish to harvest. Our group pasted up dozens of smaller bucks this year, because they weren't anything anybody wanted. In our group people don't blaze at deer when they come out and rarely have I ever heard of somebody shooting at a deer over 100 yards.
Third, swanny states that he doesn't see the point of standers shooting deer to fill other peoples tags. Around here I have only known one group to shoot a deer they didn't have a tag for. In our group we only shoot deer that we have tags for. It might be a son shooting a deer to fill his dads tag, but whats the problem with that; if his father is out there participating in the drive?
Another point I would like to make is, of course there are more deer wounded and more hunters injured because there are 5 times the amount of people in the field. What can you expect? If there were 5 times as many bowhunters as shotgun hunters there would be more deer wounded by bowhunters. Its all common sense people, we most learn to use our heads and to try to get along. What may not be your style of hunting doesn't mean it should be banned. Everybody will always do things differently its just human nature and we must learn to except it, as long as people are following the rules and laws.
I hope I didn't offend anybody I was just trying to give my point of view.

OK, I have to add my 2 cents.

I am a bowhunter, muzzleloader hunter and used to be a slug hunter. If done responsibly and according to the law they can all be safe and enjoyable.

I also know people in each group of hunters who are poachers. They shoot early or late, use illegal weapons or fill tags for other people. Usually these other people with tags are not even hunters, such as land owners, relatives etc. And I'll bet most of you also know hunters that fill tags for other people. I know of several bowhunters that fill tags for the farmers who let them hunt.

My point is that a poacher is a poacher and we should be pissed at all of them. I wonder how many of the responses I read on this topic came from poachers, who are thinking that they way they do it is ok???

Sorry, I got carried away.

IaCraig.

Hey everybody, i think that there are a couple of people on here trying to cut down shotgun hunters. Does everybody forget about how you get together with your buddies, 1 weekend a year, and get to hunt together. And have the chance to shoot some big bucks. I bow hunt also, and i would rather shoot a big buck with my bow, but if i do get a big 1 with my gun, i will be just as proud...
Just because some of us dont shotgun hunt, that doesent give you guys the right to try to cut shotgunners down, and try to make them feel like they are not "true hunters."

Sludge,

You and I have common interests and views and both of us are in CB. Send me an email (profile) and maybe we'll meet for lunch some time.

Now for the lighter side of things.

Opening morning I was in my stand well before light to get settled in and drink coffee. Poured a cup and kicked back. Just before light I stood up and set my cup down on my seat to get a cap on my Mzldr and turned a bit and my Bun Saver bumped my heavy ceramic cup and it not only spilled coffee on me but bounced off everything it could on the way down.
smile.gif

The warm temps made it a little more of a challenge this year. Me and my partner were walking about a 1/2 mile to get to our stands each morning carrying most of our sitting clothes,gun,back pack, etc... Even then we were right at boiling when we got to the stands. I was settled in drinking my coffee Monday morning before light when my partner comes walking back and mumbles something about shells being in the truck. I almost laughed out loud,he returned about 30 minutes later with little more than his orange vest on trying to keep from sweating too heavily.

These memories with last longer than those of anything we harvested.

Top Bottom