Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

small clover plot help

KSQ2

PMA Member
After one more season of observation, I've finally decided to put in a small clover plot. The plot will be planted this spring. This is what we're looking for: high pallitability (sp?), keeps drawing deer as late into season as possible, long life with proper mantinence, and as good as possible drought tolerance. This will be hunting plot, we have other destination fields. The chosen area has adequate sun. Thanks in advance for any advice. By the way, the ground is unprepared right now.

I have small clover plots and Alsike, or Alice White Clovers are good. The deer seem to like them Summer and Fall. Welter Seed is a good place to get seed from too.

Mix chicory in with it. The deer in my area seem to prefer the chicory later into the year than the clover.

The ground is unprepared. Meaning you have never broke it up before?

Are going to just kill the vegitation and sow in or are you going to work it up, and prepare the seed bed? If you are going to work it up I would think about doing it now, with a plow or chisel. The ground will frezze and thaw and lossen up over winter and work down nice this spring.

You also said you were looking for high pallitability, that means you want your PH at the correct level. I would go a head and send a soil test in to see what your PH is. I had a clover plot one year that was fertilzed but turned kind of yellow, I limed it the next year and it really improved the looks of the plot. Although the deer ate it when it was yellow, but it sure made it look better.

Ladino is my favorite. As KSHUNTER mentioned, check your PH. Nutrients can be in the soil but unavailable due to improper PH.

I have compared dozens of white clovers and Alice white clover is hands down one of the best for nearly year long attractiveness to whitetails and easy to maintain.

Remember to soil test, apply P&K and lime as needed and kill sod with glyphosate beforehand. Check the clover thread in Dbltree's corner for everything imaginable about planting, growing and maintaining clovers...:way:

Top Bottom