Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Some advice for a young buck?

W

whiskeybent & hellbound

I've been sittin back for a while reading posts and trying to get some insight on what i'm up against and I must say that I'm really enthusiastic about the whole scene.

I'm a late bloomer when it comes to hunting. I grew up in Michigan and have non-hunting parents. I've always been intrigued about wilderness and hunting but never really had the chance to get out in the wild because of school and work and lack of accessability.

Well now I live in Iowa while I'm in chiropractic school and I figure theres no better time than now. I've been doing my homework and I'm working in to getting what I need for the hunt. I plan on bow hunting. But I need to know where to go or what to do to get started. I feel kind of silly making a post like this but the people on here sure seem to know their stuff and have a real respect for what they do, which is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm coming in to this with great respect for the wilderness and the wild and I want to learn the right way so I can pass what I know on to my own kids (when I have them.)

I'm like a sponge right now. Anything that anyone's willing to say, I'm willing to listen to. Of course I'm not planning on getting out till next season so I'm trying to prepare now.

P.S. don't let the user name fool ya, I just like good old Hank Jr.

Welcome # 1000!
Some people on here have been looking for you for quite a while.

About getting started bow hunting the first thing is to learn about some of the equipment so you can better decide latter on what you want. There are tons of choices to be made such as compound or traditional bows, wooden or alluinum or carbon arrows, and lots of other things. Start reading first and then visit sporting goods stores and ask questions. I don't know of a good archery shop there but I'm sure there are some there. You should also try to find a bow club to join.

The biggest thing is to take your time and make good decisions, then get started shooting. Learn to shoot good first then start gathering info on hunting. If you just ask most any bowhunter will be glad o help and advise.

Whiskey,

My advice to a newcomer would be to find a good archery/bowhunting club in your area to join. This will give you an opportunity to make friends and learn about different types of bows, arrows, shooting styles, hunting tips, etc. Attend lots of 3-D shoots, especially those that are emphasizing bowhunting. Also, there are lots of good shows to attend like the Iowa Deer Classic, Iowa Bowhunters Association Convention/Banquet, etc. Good luck and welcome!

Thanks alot bowmaker and John v

I really appreciate the advice. I been hanging around gander mountain here and there trying to pick up tips but the club thing sounds like a great idea. I'm 22 years old; am I going to stand out like a sore thumb in a club?

HOT DAMN WE FOUND YA!

WELCOME #1000, WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU FOR SOMETIME NOW, 1998 TO BE EXACT.

Ignore the counter on the main Conference page, it shows #955. Basically only 955 members are allowed to post the other 45+ have either been DELETED or aren't allowed to post for some reason or another.

Anyway, send us an e-mail and you get all the goodies, a book, cap, t-shirt, window decal, etc.

Advice: hmmm, the best we can give is to listen to your 999 fellow members.

Merry Christmas!

rockband.gif

forumlogo.jpg

Glad to see a new member to the sport. Just so you know, you made a lot of new friends today. You'll find that hunters can be a very tight knit group. You can meet someone for the first time, and when you find out the other person is also a hunter, you all of a sudden have a new friend. We seem to like to tell stories, and it's more fun with someone who understands firsthand what you're talking about.
You will, with out a doubt, get a ton of good advice and opinions on here, so here's mine. I feel the best way to get started is to go to a local bow shop and start playing. Most of these shops have a lot of equipment set up to for that. This will give you hands on experience, and you can get a feel for what you like. They will also be able to help you get equipment that fits, since the draw length will have to match you. It also doesn't hurt to start a relationship with one of these shops. If they see your face a lot, they tend to start treating you pretty good.
Once you have an idea of what things you like, get back on here and start asking for opinions and experiences with the things you have picked. Someone here will have used it, and will be able to offer some good feedback. At this point, I am shooting a Matthews Q2 and Gold Tip Hunter carbon arrows. Broadheads are Rocky Mountain Steelheads, 100 grain, for now.
Once you get your gear set up, start hitting the range and archery tournaments. this is, I feel, one of the best off season tune-ups you can do. This is also a good way to meet people in your area, and they may have some insight into a good place to hunt.
Sorry this was so long. Good luck,and good hunting to ya., and have a good Christmas.
JTB869

Sounds good to me! Do I send the email to "contact us" on the main site?

Good stuff Blue Buck. I'm on it
beerchug.gif

I'm definatley glad I joined this group.

I basically had non-hunting parents. I picked up the bowhunting bug from my best friend and his hunting dad. However, those two dudes were old school and it almost would have been better for me to not have learned anything from them.

Therefore, my advice is to pick some mentors that know their stuff. Think about the area where you'll likely be hunting. Think about the equipment you'll likely be using (modern or traditional, brand new or used, etc.). I'd try to find someone that's grown through that phase that you'll be in, but someone who's been very successful.

Whiskey,

get a subscription to Field&Stream magazine!!!!! And maybe a nother hunting magazine. Field&Stream is a very valuble resource, filled with any kind of hunting and fishing tips. And what ever you do, don't throw your old magazines away!!!!! Keep them, read through them again and again. I have some from 1997! Ever time I read it, I learn something new!

Jason V

Whiskey,

Welcome to the hunting fraternity! I think you will find a lot of great people who will be more than glad to help you out. As you can see many of them frequent this website.

My guess is you will love bowhunting. There is a lifetime of great experiences out there and always more you can learn so keep asking questions and keep an open mind.

Good Hunting!
Old Buck

Welcome to this group of nuts, many of whom enjoy sitting in a treestand in frigid temperatures waiting for a usually brief adreniline rush that will have you shaking like a leaf on a tree. That's what keeps us coming back and the friendships that develop from the shooting/hunting sports are great. Also remember that the "right way" and "right equipment" are the ones that work for you. Look at 100 bows and you'll see 100 different set-ups. Work with a good archery shop and experiment with what you feel comfortable with. Most importantly don't forget to enjoy the experience!

Hello and merry Christmas,

Love to see someone getting started in bowhunting! It is great fun!

I am like you. I come from a family in which no one hunts. I started bowhunting on my own at age 13 (21 years ago, ouch!) and learned via the school of hard knocks. I've hunted every minute of every season that I possibly could since then.

What I would tell you is this: stay away from the ideaology that indicates hunting success can be purchased....it cannot! Good equipment will help you in your pursuit -- and is a necessity if you plan to hunt often and hard -- but it will not make you a better hunter!

Others may disagree but I would be very careful who you listen to. I try to AVOID taking anything I hear at bowshops or hunting stores to heart: often what you hear is distorted info from salesmen tainted to get you to purchase this or that new gizmo. These folks are great for helping you get setup with a bow, arrows and other chosen equipment but I wouldn't let them talk you into stuff that you might not need. You need to tread carefully in these waters at times.

I would read everything I could find from Dwight Schuh, Mike Lapinski, Gene and Barry Wensel, Paul Brunner, Ted Nugent, etc., folks who know how to bowhunt and who aren't, usually, trying to sell you something! Great Internet message boards such as this one house lots of valuable insight from REAL hunters and are very valuable sources of info as well! Good information can definitely shorten your bowhunting learning curve! Read all you can and spend as much time in the field as you can to make it work!

The thing that helped my hunting the most was probably my 35 mm camera and 200 mm lens. With that, I had to get within 25 yards of whitetails to get publishable quality photos. And with that, I could "hunt" year-round and in parks. I learned a lot about whitetails doing that and I still do to this day!

The major key to becoming a good bowhunter, in my opinion? Hunt, hunt and hunt some more! Gene Wensel said it best, "if I were going to bet on who has the best chance of shooting a big buck, the excellent woodsman who seldom gets a chance to hunt or the average woodsman who hunts all the time -- I'll put my money on the guy who's out there all the time! I concur with that! The real key to becoming a good and successful bowhunter is to hunt often -- be perisistent no matter how tough the going gets!

Hunt often and try to learn something new each and every day. Try to figure the deer out; try to predict...to anticipate what they will do in the future. That will breed confidence. And confidence and persistence -- teamed with patience -- are the major ingredients to the recipe of becoming a good bowhunter, in my opinion.

As for equipment -- I wouldn't get too worked up about it. Get what feels best in your hands (shoot the bows before you buy) and practice until a paper-pie plate miss is a rare event at 20-25 yards. You can use anything from a top-of-the-line Mathews or Hoyt to a longbow to accomplish this! I would suggest a mid-price compound (such as a Mathews FX, Hoyt Magnatec, etc.) and good release such as a Scott as a great way to start! There are a number of good sights, rests, and peeps on the market, take your pick. Muzzy broadheads are tough to beat out of a compound! But other great choices are available as well. It's wise to do plenty of research before making decisions on equipment -- Internet message boards, again, are great for doing this because insight come from unbiased real hunters using the stuff.

Hey -- good luck and have fun!

Raven

Whiskey-

What trimester are you in at Palmer? I'm a D.C. in West Des Moines, but I grew up in Davenport. Welcome!

Welcome 1000!Wow!Without making it complicated,Raven had alot to say.Wisdom comes from exsperiance.I have people tell me I always get a nice buck.Of coarse there are always more and bigger deer to get as far as my thinking goes,but,they ask me about advice.I tell them you got to be out there.I like the word persistant.Study the deer and make your best move.I'm selfemployed so that helps.
Learn the bow you get,my last outfit cost 300.shoot often.Don't be scared shooting in front of people.Shoot somemore,I like finger shooting.Shoot somemore,as if you only get one chance.Shoot somemore,at differant distance every time.Shoot somemore,til ya know your going to nail it.Shoot somemore,even when you don't think you need to. shoot somemore,just before its dark.Shoot somemore,well you get the idea,because when its time to take the shot at the deer,Its life or death,for the deer.And a emotion ride for the hunter.Deer are not tough to find these days.Not like the 70's.

Theres something about the hunt that is awesome and its yours for the taking.Everybody is different on ideas.So,take some and leave some.I don't think it will ruffle any feathers here.

Good luck,and have fun getting ready for the time of your LIFE.

Well, since your the 1000th member you might as well have them change your handle to "1000". From the looks of the previous posts that's what you're going to be called anyway! So welcome aboard.........."1000"...!
grin.gif

welcome 1000 ......you need to start hanging out with us at B&B SHOOTING in bettendorf,,, we will be starting a winter league soon and like to help anyone. There is another winter league startin soon , it is sponsored by THE DAVENPORT VALLEY ARCHERS.....no membership is required ,but it helps cut down on costs..........feel free to introduce yourself down at b&b....my name is j.b. ....stop on by,,,bring your bow.....we all like Hank too......I'm always in need of an adjustment ,as these old bones hurt sometimes...lol............
beerchug.gif

hell yeah jaybee. I was just getting on here to try and find out where I can go to shoot. My uncle was kind enough to loan me his bow until next season so I can get some practice. My name is Jake so if I see ya i'll introduce myself.

And thanks again to all the other guys who put their two cents in. I really appreciate the advice and I'm anxious as hell to get started.

You'll get a lot of advice but the bit advice I like to give is learn to "PICK A SPOT". I would guess not picking a spot has caused more misses than everything else combined. If you "aim small you miss small."

I even have it tape on my bow's riser.

Most of all enjoy and have fun, when bowhunting you will cross paths with some good folks.

I agree with what jaybee said. B&B Shooting Supplies in Bettendorf is the place to hang out and shoot. They are very friendly and reasonably priced. I purchased my first bow there last August and not really knowing much about archery, they were very patient with me. They make sure that you're shooting good at 20 yards before you leave the store. They also gave me 12 hours of free shooting at their indoor range.

I too am a member of Davenport Valley Archers (DVA) and have met a few people that way as well. Last I heard, we're up over 150 members now. Everyone I have met so far have been extremely helpful in giving advice. It doesn't matter if you're just starting out or an expert archer, we all share the same interest. If you're interested in joining the club, talk to someone at B&B and they'll give information on the club and entry form. Good luck!!

Top Bottom