Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Sorghum

[ QUOTE ]

Anybody know an online store where I could get a pound or two?

[/ QUOTE ]

You might call Welter Seed as they will often split a bag of just about anything.

Welter Seed

Your best bet though would be to check for a Pheasants Forever Chapter in your area. They will often give you the seed (especially if you are a member
waytogo.gif
)

Pheasants Forever

10' may be wide enough but how dense is the question. Welter will sell it that way, it's cheap seed so the shipping may cost you more than the seed. Either buy more and store it or even talk to local PF or NWTF members for a supply.

[ QUOTE ]
10' may be wide enough but how dense is the question.

[/ QUOTE ]

I want it so dense you cant walk through it let alone see through it. The thicker the better.

After re-measuring my future plot it appears I will have 1/8 of acre that will be Sorgrum.

Now the questions:

Can you plant it too thick? If you do does it stunt its growth? Hieght is a concern along with seeing through it. How much should I put on 1/8 of an acre. Welter says 25-30lbs per acre.

I was looking on the website at the different Millets/Sogrums and some of the other stuff gets 10feet tall
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
Also I saw Japenese millet that planted at 25/acre it gets 4 to 5 feet tall but planted at 40/acre it gets 7 to 8 feet tall. That makes me wonder why?

I plan on buying a 50lb bag so I can probably get it from my feedstore and will use the rest on a different food plot.

Dean

[ QUOTE ]
Now the questions:

Can you plant it too thick? If you do does it stunt its growth? Hieght is a concern along with seeing through it.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Can you plant it too thick? I am using it to help block vision of my plot. One for my exit and entrance to the stand and so the neighbors cant stop and gawk at any deer might be eating before dark. Looks like it really cant be too thick.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

You can plant it too thick. Even if you are just looking for cover, the seeding rate should be kept under 10 lbs/acre if it is drilled and maybe a few pounds more if broadcast seeding ... I have only no-till drilled sorghum. The thicker stands don't get quite as tall and the stalks tend to be thinner, this causes more windthrough in the winter. If it is planted at a lighter rate it stands much better thru the winter and provides better cover and the seed heads tend to be bigger as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Top Bottom