Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Soybeans vs Peas {Fall Planting}

bowhuntr311

IowaWhitetail Addict
Im an active member of my local chapter of the Minnesota Deer Hunters Association. Last year I received several bags of free foodplot seed, clover and turnips. I could of signed up for bags of RR Corn and RR soybeans but I dont have the room nor the a row planter. Well, no one in my chapter wanted any so it was voted on for us NOT to get any. Well somehow my chapter ended up with some anyways and were giving it away at a small banquet/fund raiser we hold in late october. I was already asked by several attendees if they won it if I wanted it.

So heres my question.

Can I plant soybeans in place of fieldpeas with a mixture of oats/rye in a fall planting and get the same results?
Any dis/advantages? With the expection of first frost of end of Sept, what would be the ideal planting date for grains/peas(beans) mixture. I would think mid august?

I know peas/beans both require to be planted 1inch however after doing some reading in the Bean thread I see several IWmembers have broadcast and then drug the field then cultipacked it.

Any input on the subject I would love to hear it.

You can plant soybeans in the fall for a forage attraction only of course just as you would peas however unlike peas the soybeans are not cold tolerant and will freeze off at the first frost....up your way that's pretty early.

You don't need a row planter to spring plant soybeans or corn for that matter, simply till the soil, fertilize with a low or no N fertilizer, broadcast soybeans at roughly 120,000-160,000 seeds per acre, lightly till or disc them in and then cultipack.

In small hidden fields they most likely get decimated early on without fencing but that's another story altogether....;)

Top Bottom