Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Stolen stand issue, opinion

30pointbuck

See what you guys think........ Last year my buddy and I set up 4 stands on some private property that I have hunted for the past 20 years. We went to hunt them in November to find that someone stole every one of them. It was pretty much obvious to us that they didn't take them down to use them but only because it appeared that they wanted to hunt this themself. Reason being, one of the stands was a hang on with a set of ladder sticks and the highest section of stick was still attached to the tree with the lower sections being completely gone.
So this year I go back to the same area to put up a stand with the intention of locking it on, Which doesn't make it impossible to steal, only a little more difficult.
I went to the exact same area where one of my stands was stolen last year (all cleared out with nice shooting lanes)and what a coincidence, there is a stand not 10 feet from the same tree mine was stolen from. Even has a stand lock on it.
So, do you guys think this is merely a coincidence or do you think like I do that whoever's stand this is, is the person I need to talk to about my stans disapearing last year. Trouble is, no matter what my gutt feeling is, I have no proof.

Chances are you are right. They are likely the culprit. Chances are you are right about the proof as well. Tough call. I would at least try to identify who it is...and take it from there.

I would make sure the landowner didn't give someone else permission and told him no one else is suppose to be out there... Have you talked with him/her lately. Didn't really get many details. I would say if the guy is that bold I can't imagine he doesn't have permission to be in there and may even been told that he has exclusive permission. Just a thought. Not much background was given.

send a message, take his stand and replace it with a skull and cross bones flag.

just kiddin, i'm with limb get the low down from the land owner, that is always the place to start on someone else's property.

I have had some serious problems with people like that. Another guy hunts on the farm that I hunt and we have had a few run-ins. First I would check with the landowner, as stated before, to see if they even have permission to be in there. If they don't that makes it really easy, just take em down. But if they do, thats when it gets a little hairy. You don't want the land owner to think that people are fighting over his land, then he may not let anyone on it. It can be a very difficult situation.

Just a thought. Good luck to ya.

[ QUOTE ]
You don't want the land owner to think that people are fighting over his land, then he may not let anyone on it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would press the owner once more to see if he knows of anyone who else might think they could hunt there, this same situation happen right around me and now no one can hunt there. Don't make it sound like a big deal to the owner. You know the guy will never admit to stealing you stands, even if he did, I would bet most thieves are also liars. If no one else should be on the property, place your stand and wait him out. You might want to use a climber so you don't lose another one. I use a python cable lock on all my stands and make metal boxes for my trail cams and lock with the same, and I only hunt private land where I have exclusive permission, I guess I don't trust anyone after read about lost equipment so often.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You don't want the land owner to think that people are fighting over his land, then he may not let anyone on it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't make it sound like a big deal to the owner.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been in this boat before; Not with the losing stands, but just with multiples having access to the same properties...We worked it out between ourselves with out the owner.

I would defintaly talk to the owner and make mention of the stands missing. But just mention it casually.

Dean

I would definitely check with the landowner to see if anyone has been given permission first. and then proceed from there. Had similar thing happen many years ago in a similar situation. I went and removed the stands(ladder) and hid them. Later found out they were the landowners shoestring relation. This happened at the same time that I had various stands removed and stolen from me. I would do what has been the consensus on this post and try to find out who the perpatrator is and proceed from there.

Good advice above.

My question is this, Do you ask the landowner permission every year or did you only ask 20 years ago and have taken it for granted since?

I don't come in direct contact with the landowner hardly at all any more because he is getting older now, but my mom sees him every year and makes sure it is still OK for us to hunt his property. I will be talking to him though in the near future just to sorta see if anyone else has direct permission as well.

I think the bigger issue here is that you don't directly know the landowner.

If it were me I'd be on a semi-regular speaking habit with the guy. You never now when a new son-in-law or smooth talking neighbor could swoop and in and take over your hunting access. Build that relationship and these kinds of problems will not happen.

Top Bottom