Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

STOP Shooting Does

My experience has been in the last 5-6 years.. seeing 20-30 deer a night with 4 or 5 big bucks.. now its more like an average of 4-5 a night and many more bucks that are broken up by mid november.. I shot 2 does this year and thats all I will shoot
I am wondering why you would shoot any. If I were only seeing 4 deer a sit the last thing I would do would be to take any of them out. Not trying to be a smartass or tell you what to do with your tags but shooting two does possibly takes out four young deer this spring.

On top of the insurance company issue, I think the state is really missing their money from out of state pheasant hunters. That was a lot of coin that is now going to S. Dakota and elsewhere. Gotta get it back somehow.

Overall, the deer population is down. Period. But I'm here to tell you, its still way better than it was 25 years ago people. (For those of you that remember that far back!) Hunters in alot of counties have already let their voice be heard. I think there were quite a few unpurchased doe tags last year from a bunch of counties. Simply because we (as hunters) are slowly learning that it was getting difficult to fill the tags we were purchasing, so why waste the money. I don't think the NR's are going to pony up the kind of cash the state is asking just to shoot a doe either. Something would have to change there for that to happen.

Between my wife and I last year we purchased 5 tags (archery and shotgun). We filled 1 with a doe. Not a big deal to me. If I get hungry I'll go to the store and buy a steak. I'm not gonna starve. I do have an issue with those hunters that have the "Kill, Kill, Kill" attitude. You all know the ones. "If it didn't drop, I must have missed it" mentality. Never following up on a shot they take. Those "hunters" make me sick. They are the ones that want to rape the resource and give nothing back. THOSE people are your problem, and someone on here said those are the people that are not on this site, and that is 100% correct.

Agree with everyone that says population is way down. It is. I hunt/helpmanage about 550 acres of prime iowa timber and have been for about 12 years now. Last couple years the number of deer has noticeably dropped and this year according to all the trail cam pics its down from last year. We always try to take a handful of does off the farm but the landowner decided he only wants a couple taken. I did not disagree with him one bit. We need the numbers to go up period. With what we are doing today its interesting to see what the population will be in 10-15 years. I am 21 years old and can't think of anything else to do in the fall for the rest of my life but chase iowa whitetails. I can honestly say I'm a little scared.

I strongly agree that people need to lay off the does. I know where I hunt the numbers are getting so low that its starting to take a lot of the fun out of the hunts. I use to never go out and get skunked, now I can go out and it doesn't suprise me to go a few sits without seeing a thing. There's to many ingnorant hunters out there that are not informed on the subject, they see that there's a bunch of doe tags for sale(thanks to our biologist governor) so they think there are plenty of deer and try to kill a bunch of does. Someone else posted earlier that if we as residents don't buy the extra antlerless tags that the number of NR tags issued will be increased, I think thats a very realistic possibility.

The only thing I hate to see, is that everyone gets worked up at each other on this site...We all have the same opinions, and some people have different...I think about 99% of us here know which direction the deer herd is going, but we are only a small number of hunters as compared to the whole state. And most farmers I know, shoot them year round because of "crop damage"...theres a lot more going on that just doe tags, so dont let that fool you either...

Sorry for the length but here is some info from first hand experience on this very subject. I'm Split_G3 if y'all remember me or not, not sure why 5465 is showing up.

Been awhile since I've posted on here but this particular subjuect I am very passionate about and feel I need to speak up. THEBAD and some others is right. I know my post this is long but this is a personal and very extensive study that I put together on my own for a hunting website here in Ohio last season. When they bumped our legal bag limit from 3 up to 6, it took just a few years and many acrossed the state of Ohio, like myself were seeing the detrimental affects....and in Iowa, I believe y'alls regs allow for even more deer than us. Yes, I know I'm from Ohio and these are Ohio's statistics and my personal numbers but we are comparable to Iowa and I assure you that you're heading in the same direction if y'all don't stop killing so many does. Numbers don't lie and these are just hunting numbers, predator killed deer and auto killed deer are not included in the figures. Farm Bureau and Insurance Companies are what is running the show on herd management in many states.

I am a numbers guy, especially when it comes to whitetails. Numbers are very important in the whitetail world. The future of this sport is is hinged on numbers. I hope ya'll take the time to atleast read over this as I strongly believe that the state of Ohio is on the verge of a deer number crisis. First thing I'm gonna do is throw some numbers at you. If there is any numbers/statistics you would like to know that I have not provided, feel free to ask and I will try to provide. This is something I have been working on for quite awhile now and the numbers provided are just a tip of the iceberg of what I will have compiled. I plan to plead my case to the DNR as soon as I have the chance.

1999-2000 Season --- estimated herd size 500,000, 3 deer could be taken legally, Archery season, 1 shotgun season and 1 muzzleloader season....harvest total of all seasons combined 150,432 deer

2004-2005 Season --- estimated herd size 650,000, 3 deer could be taken legally, Archery season, 1 shotgun season and 1 muzzleloader season.....harvest total of all seasons combined 209,513 deer

2009-2010 Season --- estimated herd size 675,000, 6 deer could be taken legally(zone C), Archery Season, 3 different gun seasons and 1 muzzleloader season.....harvest total of all seasons combined 261,260 deer

Number of bucks killed to number of does killed by county.....using 2 counties fron Zones B & C as examples because they have the most deer density and highest deer numbers are in the NE and SE part of the state.. Leaving Zone A out because deer density is already low.
Meigs(Zone C) 2008-2009 Season --- Bucks 1,694....Does 2,907.....Difference of 1,213 more does killed than bucks
Meigs(Zone C) 2009-2010 Season --- Bucks 1,761....Does 3,060.....Difference of 1,295 more does killed than bucks

Guernsey(Zone C) 2008-2009 Season --- Bucks 1,514.....Does 2,643.....Difference of 1,129 more does killed than bucks
Guernsey(Zone C) 2009-1010 Season --- Bucks 1,545.....Does 2,840.....Difference of 1,295 more does killed than bucks

Mahoning(Zone B) 2008-2009 Season --- Bucks 2,694.....Does 4,551.....Difference of 1,857 more does killed than bucks
Mahoning(Zone B) 2009-2010 Season --- Bucks 2,802.....Does 5,061.....Difference of 2,259 more does killed than bucks

Trumbull(Zone B) 2008-2009 Season --- Bucks 1,298.....Does 2,678.....Difference of 1,380 more does killed than bucks
Trumbull(Zone B) 2009-2010 Season --- Bucks 1,190.....Does 2,394.....Difference of 1,204 more does killed than bucks

2008-2009 Season --- estimated herd size was 675,000. A total of 252,017 of those deer were harvested by hunters, therefore that would reduce the herd to lets just say an estimated 400,000. Winter of '08-'09 was tough, not many storms but much colder than normal and cold for an extended period of time from Mid October thru the end of January. Food was few and far between, especially the sustainable winter food sources. Honey suckle was just average and the vast majority of green briar had been picked thru by mid-December and the deer never really touched it beyone that. There were plenty of acorns on the ground but the deer were not touching them due to(IMO) being blown off the trees way too early for their liking in early September due to 2 big wind storms and constant, high, steady winds throughout the whole month of September. Therefore, I believe that a 15% winter kill off would be in the ballpark of the actual percentage. Given a 15% kill off, that is 97,500 deer. Add the 252,017 hunter killed deer to the winter kill off totals and you're looking at a total of 349,517 deer that never made it to the Spring of 2009. That is a little over 54% of the herd eliminated in just one season.....and that percentage does not include deer/car collision totals and Ohio is in the top 10 states in the country for deer/car collision totals. Also total do not include deer killed and not tagged.

2009-2010 Seaon --- estimated herd size was 675,000. A total of 261,260 of those deer were harvested by hunters, therefore that would reduce the herd to an estimated 414,000. Winter of 2009-2010 was another tough one on the deer. It was cold fro an extended period of time and at times it was bitter cold. There were several snow storms, with some snow totals in a lot of areas higher than they had seen in years. In a lot of areas in the southern part of the state, there was a steady 4-6"+ on the ground for more that a month. Sustainable winter food was once again pretty much non-existent. Honey suckle for many was lower than average, green briar had once again pretty much been eaten up by mid-December and there were absolutely no acorns throughout the vast majority of the state. Personally, no question I think 15% winter kill off is in the ballpark but I would guess that the winter of '09-'10 brought us to nearly a 20% kill off. If a 20% kill off is correct, that is a total of 135,000(15%=101,250) deer became victim of a hard winter. Add the 20% winter kill off to the 261,260 hunter killed deer and that brings a total of 396,260 deer never made it to the Spring of 2010. That is just a little less than 59% of the herd being eliminated in just 1 season.....and that percentage does not include deer/car collision totals and Ohio is in the top 10 states in the country for deer/car collision totals. Also totals do not include deer killed and not tagged.

This is just a little snid-bit of information that I figured up. Maybe not important to you but I was kind of suprised when I put the figures together. To me it kinda helped putting it into perspective. The state of Ohio consists of 41,328 square miles and that converts into 26,449,920 acres. One square mile converts ino 640 acres. I wouldn't begin to know just exactly how much of the state of Ohio deer actually live in, nor would I even know how to figure it but I think it would be fair to say half of that....20,664 square miles and 13,224,960. In the '08-'09 season with a herd size of 675,00 deer, that would be a total 32.66 deer per square mile/640acres. With the winter kill off and hunter killed totals subtracted from that, that total drops to just 15.75 deer per square mile/640 acres. As for 2009, the total would drop from 32.66 deer per square mile all the way down to 13.48 deer per square mile/640 acres. Even tho the deer are not spread evenly throughout the state, I want ya'll to think about just how many 13.48 deer per square mile/640 acres is.....that ain't very damn many!!! Thats cutting the herd by a little more than half each season.

Why am I making a big stink about this, 3 reasons.......1) I believe the herd is being desimated, not to the level of a crisis but well on it's way to a crisis if the DNR doesn't man-up, drop bag limits, drop one of the gun seasons and tell the Farm Bureau and Insurance Companies to keep their money and go stick their noses in someone elses buisness and 2) The recruiting of new hunters and youth into this great sport is gonna be tough as nails to pull off when deer sightings are few and far between. And 3) IMO, with the current regulations and bag limits we are killing more deer than we can replace and this will obviously have a HUGE affect over time!!!

I am a hunter who is very fortunate to hunt where I do and have access to the amount of property that I have access to, give or take 1400 acres of private. I have been fortunate enough to take some nice deer in my hunting career. I hunt in an area where there has always typically been big numbers of deer. I'm used to seeing a lot of deer, well over 300+ deer per year. In 2004, my does seen per hour onstand was 1.41 and over the last 6 years my does seen per hour average has dropped to just 0.39......that is a drastic, dramatic drop in just 6 years time. Another interetsing statistic, in the last 2 seasons, my buck to doe ratio has been 2.38 bucks to just 1 doe...yeah, you read that correctly, 2.38 bucks to 1 doe. Sounds great to a lot of you probably but I assure you that it makes for some very long hours onstand, only days here and there that are phenominal and many days of ZERO sightings....and this includes the rut. Hunting can be piss poor more often than not in these conditions. One might argue that, maybe your set-ups aren't good enough, possibly but your talking to a guy that typically sees loads of deer every year and has had several days of 50+ deer sightings in one day during several ruts. Not bragging on deer numbers or claiming to be a deer hunting god, as I said I am very fortunate to hunt where I do and location is everything when it comes to deer hunting.

One important note that I have documented over the past 2 seasons is damn near every buck over the last 2 years that i have seen and/or gotten pics of in the months of November and December are extremely run down, poor looking. The most important part of this is that even my mature bucks, my really mature bucks appear to be very run down. Sure there are many mature bucks that chase does and run all over gods creation during the rut but I assure you that the vast majority of 4 1/2+ year old deer typically don't and should have no reason to run, they know when the does come into heat, they don't have to battle for them and more often than not a doe will damn near come to them when she is ready. Also, last year, I had a 3 day stretch during the rut in which I seen 26 bucks and just 1 doe. Ontop of that, 2 experiences from this years rut, I seen 29 deer one day and out of those 29 deer 18 of them were bucks(not all different bucks). The other experience was on November 9th(I think) I seen 11 different bucks chase 4 does pass my stand. You bet your ass it made for some exciting hunting but for the next 5 days, hunting was piss poor at best with just a couple deer sightings. This was not just the case with me this year, I know many who had damn near similar experiences and have been experiencing it for a couple years now.

We're simply killing too many does and the does are our regenration source. The bucks can't find does to breed, so they run all over hell....even the big ones. It makes sits during the rut very hit and miss, to some it may seem that the rut never really even takes place or gets kicked up real good. The rut is there, it's there every year, the reason you aren't seeing it is because of the herd numbers, mainly the does. Again, this is all just my opinion. Those who are still seeing good numbers or maybe even more numbers than you did say 10 years ago are simply just lucky enough to be in the small pockets of this state that see little pressure or really don't have a lot of deer killed in the area. So yes, I do believe there are areas in the state that still hold decent numbers but it's just pockets here and pockets there.

I am not claiming to be right about killing too many does but I have personal logs and many very reputable resources across this whole state that put in just as much time in a tree as I do and hunt just as hard as I do and I get the same exact response from them. Its either "I just ain't seeing deer" or "I just ain't seeing deer like I used to and when i do see deer, I'm typically seeing far more bucks than does". Also, hop around on other hunting forums and take a look at responses on threads about how the hunting is going in Ohio, over the past 2 years. Out of say 20 posts you will likely read 2 posts where a hunter is having a great season and seeing good action but you will likely have 18 of them in which the hunter is just not seeing deer or few deer. These are people from all acrossed the state as well.

QDM is a good thing but you can't keep preaching QDM and practicing QDM and not eventually see detrimental affects to your herd. Not everyone understands QDM, not everyone understands that just because you need does eliminated on a piece of property doesn't mean all of them need to be killed and just because it is legal to kill 6 deer in Zone C doesn't mean you have to go out and do that every year. The herd in the state of Ohio is on the decrease and over the past 2 seasons it has really taken a big hit. And personally, if this winter keeps up I think we're headed for another big hit. Even tho the hunter killed numbers are down so far this year, I still think we have killed too many. Again, I personally believe that the killing of the does needs to stop. Drop the bag limit back where it was and drop atleast the extra 2 day shotgun season. Sure one could say that "well, yes Pete, we have taken more does than bucks over the years but the numbers aren't really that far apart"......I could agree with that to an extent but when you have numbers like these over and over, season after season, it's gonna have an affect......a HUGE affect!!! I'm affraid that if something is not done soon then our herd is in trouble. Not that I think that it will ever reach a state in which it is unrecoverable, I don't think it will but it could reach a level in which it could take years to rebound.

Last edited:
I strongly agree that people need to lay off the does. I know where I hunt the numbers are getting so low that its starting to take a lot of the fun out of the hunts. I use to never go out and get skunked, now I can go out and it doesn't suprise me to go a few sits without seeing a thing. There's to many ingnorant hunters out there that are not informed on the subject, they see that there's a bunch of doe tags for sale(thanks to our biologist governor) so they think there are plenty of deer and try to kill a bunch of does. Someone else posted earlier that if we as residents don't buy the extra antlerless tags that the number of NR tags issued will be increased, I think thats a very realistic possibility.

What we could do or try (would never be able to get everyone on the same page tho) is to make sure we buy all of the doe tags that were available and just not shoot any does ... atleast in the low populated doe areas. That way the government is still getting their money from the tags being bought, we keep the NR out and we as hunters are still trying to be part of the solution. Would never happen but...a thought

I am wondering why you would shoot any. If I were only seeing 4 deer a sit the last thing I would do would be to take any of them out. Not trying to be a smartass or tell you what to do with your tags but shooting two does possibly takes out four young deer this spring.
because the farm i shot them on has a rather large surplus.. and they both had two yearlings.. so I'm still +2 deer..

WIWhitetail ...thanks for your input...tell these guys how quick it can go from ok to really bad. You have lived it and seen it...some of these guys while there intentions are great still dont see the large picture. Share some of the storys...I heard guys of guys going to such extremes of poaching a doe so they could get a dang buck tag.

Someone in my area was arrested for poaching does over a 3yr period and selling them so guys could get earn a buck stickers... Sounds like he was being paid well 2! Sad but reality

Nothing good comes from forcing people 2 shoot does to have the opportunity 2 harvest bucks. In those yrs I also found a bunch of dead yearling bucks that were shot and left 2 waste Im guessing cause the shooter was not aware it was a small buck = small forks, spikes

If an earn a buck regulation is enforced the public grounds get hammered cause the private landowners did not want 2 shoot does on their private ground or they did not want 2 disturb their private farm does prior 2 the rut... Even though the private areas with better habitat and bigger food plots were the reason for higher deer # counts in that specific deer management unit. WI was a mess last yr after season with lots more than usual angry deer hunters. We know have appointed Dr Deer or Dr Kroll as our deer czar 2 fix our mess.

In my opinion things got really bad in WI when they started giving out 4+ free doe tags a yr as some hunters had no trigger management... It may take 3-4yrs but eventually it catches up and the population decline can be significant! The good news is deer repopulate quickly with proper food and habitat which IO definitely has...

The herd in my area got hammered last year. The lack of habitat is astounding. I can't remember a time when so many treelines have been erased & so much CRP has been planted. These held deer for travel routes & bedding areas. Even the pheasants are suffering too. Also if you think back to when you were a kid walking in the combined fields stepping on ears of corn every once in awhile . That was food for deer, pheasants & anything else that wanted to eat it. Now when you look at a combined field there is nothing but stalk & cob. Not even a kernel on a cob anywhere. There is nothing left for deer & pheasants to eat when all other resources are gone.

I have noticed that the well worn deer trails of last year are not worn at all this year. The public ground that always had plenty of deer now has very few. 32 hours on stand in 5 days - I've seen 2 does, no bucks. Gotta love those bow hunter surveys, reminds me every year that I need to find a new place to hunt.

I have been talking to several hunters when we meet in the public ground parking lot. They all ask the same thing "where did the deer go?" My county has 2500 antlerless tags again this year. Why? My camera has been taking pics of the same doe & 2 fawns for almost 2 months now.

When I look at the 3 deer I have on my wall I appreciate them even more after coming home from a day of no deer on the trails.

Last edited:
I think it depends on the area your hunting. where I shotgun hunt in delaware county we have sections where we use to run 40-50 deer out of a section.way to many ,does needed to be shot. here lately,the past couple of years we were lucky to run 5 deer out of the same section thus we didnt shoot any does. it all depends

Have any of you ever considered that the days of seeing 30 or 40 deer while on a three hour sitting watching a 10 arce field may have been the inbalance? Hey its fun, but look at the habbitat and the carrying cappacity. If we ended up with CWD and the herd numbers we had four years ago, the spread would be massive. Anyone remember mainge? I dont believe that happens to well balanced eco groups. When was that 20+ years ago and you still barely see a fox.

As much as I enjoyed seeing tons of deer on every outing, i am always glad to be out and see any.

I think everyone is looking the wrong way, the numbers arent down right now they just got to high in the past years.

Also, how many dead, frozen, starved deer have you guys found the last couple winter? Think thats cuz theres enough food for huge herds?

Rack Man great first post....so who do you work for the insurance company or the farm bureau.

None of the above.

Just a part time farmer, full time hunter, and tired of seeing dead deer laying every 200 feet on the side of the road, and ours and everyone elses corn feilds wiped out every fall.

Remember back 20 or 25 years ago. you would shotgun hunt the whole season, shoot at almost any deer you saw and still not fill the tags of everyone in the group? Back then it was OK to shoot does. Then alot of groups took the attitude that it was only cool to shoot bucks. for a while you would never see a doe hanging from a tree or the rafters of someones garage. Even our group went threw that faze. All of the sudden you would pass dozens of does every hunt. I believe all our doe blasting in the last few years has not decimated our herd, but put it back in focus--not to mention make hunting fun again.

Turn off the outdoor channel, put down the magazines, and hunt.

Last edited:
There are nowhere near enough deer in Iowa to eat all the food available to them. I agree numbers are way down from the past in some areas. Audubon county where I live and hunt is one of them. And I agree that less does should be taken from these areas. Lots of counties have no anterless tags available and some have 3000 plus. The dnr counts on a lot of hunters not getting a deer so they issue a few more than they really need. At one time years ago they figured only about 55/60 percent of archery tags were ever filled. I've hunted all over Iowa since 1977 and with the exception to guthrie county numbers are down. It's funny because when I started deer hunting numbers were about what they are now. Then we had a huge population explosion because enough fillable tags were not made available. I'm sure it won't be all that long when there wll be hardly any anterless tags available anywhere in the western half of the state. JMHO. Oh and my name is Rob, this site is awesome...............ck

Don't know what's fun about sitting for days on end and not seeing a single doe??? Also not sure where you are driving to see that much(or even close) roadkill??? Rackman, your mentality comes across to me as bordering old school farmer..........kill every last one of 'em................no offense

I think everyone is looking the wrong way, the numbers arent down right now they just got to high in the past years.

Rackman,
Do you think that is true for the entire state or just certain areas?

I do agree that they were to high in the past years though. Seeing 20 - 30 deer a sit IMO is a few to many.

I will call you on seeing a dead deer every 200 yards. I hunt in some of the best deer country and do not see that many. What highway are you seeing this many on?

Someone in my area was arrested for poaching does over a 3yr period and selling them so guys could get earn a buck stickers... Sounds like he was being paid well 2! Sad but reality

Nothing good comes from forcing people 2 shoot does to have the opportunity 2 harvest bucks. In those yrs I also found a bunch of dead yearling bucks that were shot and left 2 waste Im guessing cause the shooter was not aware it was a small buck = small forks, spikes

If an earn a buck regulation is enforced the public grounds get hammered cause the private landowners did not want 2 shoot does on their private ground or they did not want 2 disturb their private farm does prior 2 the rut... Even though the private areas with better habitat and bigger food plots were the reason for higher deer # counts in that specific deer management unit. WI was a mess last yr after season with lots more than usual angry deer hunters. We know have appointed Dr Deer or Dr Kroll as our deer czar 2 fix our mess.

In my opinion things got really bad in WI when they started giving out 4+ free doe tags a yr as some hunters had no trigger management... It may take 3-4yrs but eventually it catches up and the population decline can be significant! The good news is deer repopulate quickly with proper food and habitat which IO definitely has...

Good out of state insight, thanks.

Thebad: Come on are you 100% serious in saying that you think everyone should quit shooting does?

I mean what is your point here, Rack Man comes on makes a good point and you accuse him of working for farm bureau.

??

Top Bottom