STOP Shooting Does

The first thing we should all do is NOT hunt that late season. After Jan 11th, I am done. If I don't have my freezer full than I am SOOL. I will not take the chance of shooting a shed antler buck. I think that season does more damage than anything we have in the regulations.

Hardwood read the whole thread then ask your question again

Ok I read it now for the third time, now I am asking the same question are you 100% serious in saying that you think EVERYONE IN IOWA should quit shooting does?

Hardwood, some people are just hard headed. I get the point he is attempting to show, but its not pratical. And no matter what, the DNR attempts to manage accordingly, they cant plan extreme winter kills.. How about hail storms that drop baseball size hail or bigger, I have seen that kill deer... There are factors out there that cant be controlled. But deer are strong animals, and will survive. I remember my grandpa telling me stories of hunting deer in the very first Iowa deer season, guess how many deer were around then... Obviously, numbers are lower than the "glory" years we have had in the past...and maybe seeing only 3-4, and sometimes even none is dissapointing. But if I was to bet, in awhile we will end up with a surplus again, and be going through a different struggle...just my opinion I guess

The first thing we should all do is NOT hunt that late season. After Jan 11th, I am done. If I don't have my freezer full than I am SOOL. I will not take the chance of shooting a shed antler buck. I think that season does more damage than anything we have in the regulations.

:way::way::way::way::way:

Shooting does

Hardwood, some people are just hard headed. I get the point he is attempting to show, but its not pratical. And no matter what, the DNR attempts to manage accordingly, they cant plan extreme winter kills.. How about hail storms that drop baseball size hail or bigger, I have seen that kill deer... There are factors out there that cant be controlled. But deer are strong animals, and will survive. I remember my grandpa telling me stories of hunting deer in the very first Iowa deer season, guess how many deer were around then... Obviously, numbers are lower than the "glory" years we have had in the past...and maybe seeing only 3-4, and sometimes even none is dissapointing. But if I was to bet, in awhile we will end up with a surplus again, and be going through a different struggle...just my opinion I guess

That is exactly the point I am trying to get across, it is not practical. To say that everyone should quit shooting does because one guy in one part of one county doesn't see any, that is nonsense.

Some of the counties in Southern Iowa would have a serious problem in one or two years if not one doe was shot...? As a landowner I'll decide how many does are shot...your blanket statement makes no sense.

As a landowner I'll decide how many does are shot...your blanket statement makes no sense.
:way::way::way::way:

As an owner and manager of my ground, I will decide what to shoot and when within the legal juridiction of the law. Since I know what is in that area year round and manage it to have a good balance of wildlife. Do anterless tags need to be dropped in number? Maybe, but it is in some counties and not all of them.

I couldn't agree more with this. I think the late season is one of the biggest mistakes in this states history.

My farm is over run with does, in fact, it has me somewhat worried. Each area and farm is different etc. and the landowners have to do their best to educate themselves on management and make the best decisions they can...and in saying that, continue to adapt and make changes as new info comes in.

As a whole though, I can't for the life of me understand the late season...:mad:

A couple have mentioned the loss of habitat and while I didn't spend much time looking, I found at least one source that indicated that Iowa has lost a million acres of CRP in the last couple of years because of increased grain prices.

If you look at that kind of habitat loss statewide, but especially in areas that were already marginal at holding deer populations, it could have a much larger impact than taking some extra does. If you're not seeing deer in your area, check to see how much habitat has been lost; you may be surprised.

I don't think you can make blanket statements for the whole state. There are definitely areas where there are still too many does, so if you're lucky enough to live/hunt in those spots, have at it. If you aren't seeing as many deer where you hunt, then work to spread the word to hunters in your area to let them walk. If it's really bad, then take a year or two off and put the money you'd spend on licenses and new gear towards a local group like your Pheasants Forever chapter to help increase habitat.

It's easy to bitch about it here, but harder to actually do something that will make a difference. Call your state reps. or join IBA to work to get regulations changed.

Late season is one of the worst seasons, you have plenty of opportunities to shoot does early on with all the other seasons. I can understand not having the time but from the time bow season opens up til late muzzleloader closes thats a little over three months...

Take your tag and put it towards a different season where you don't have to judge deer and worry if its a buck or not that has shed. I'm not saying don't hunt late doe, but if ya do be 100% your shooting a doe. Its not worth it to take the chance IMO.

Excellent points KBGIBBY!!!
I am also in 100% agreement with getting rid of this disastrous late antlerless season that goes to like Feb or whatever. That season is a MESS. If you have too many does, if you can't get it done from Oct 1 through Jan 10 with bow seasons, 2 gun seasons, 1 Thanksgiving antlerless, 2 muzzleloader seasons- sorry- you are just a failure of a hunter and you and your family should be forced to starve, survival of the fittest! :) Seriously though, that season needs to go, is not needed and is a disaster to shed bucks, etc. In areas with too many does, I KNOW I could go out TOMORROW night and shoot a couple with my bow. You've never heard me rip on that late antlerless season before have you?!?! :) Disaster. If we had to TRADE, I'd rather a Sept doe season BUT really it just needs to go by-by period.

Antlerless season

Sligh: Totally agree, is it the bottom two tier counties in the late antlerless season?

Lot of great points made...but at the end of the day the point that many seem to be missing is that you have to see past the 100 acres and just the farms you hunt. This needs to be looked at from a larger perspective.... Hunters are the only tool the state has on how the herd is managed and we need to be heard and need to THINK about our own personal actions and what those actions will mean to the future of deer hunting in Iowa.

A LOT can be learned from other states mismanagement of deer numbers and we are headed down the wrong path. Honestly I know in some areas does will need to be thinned out...but we as the hunting community need to think about the ramifications to every animal we kill not only on our farms but in the large grand scheme of things.

I think that doe management has to be done on an area basis. In the same breath that area should not have hunters taking 4,5 doe out of the same area. If we have multiple hunters in the same area doing this then that is when the #s really start to decline drastically. Hunting is mostly an individual sport but it is as a group that we hunters are responsible for the future of that sport.

but what if the "100" acres i hunt is the only place that holds deer in the area.. am i then allowed to manage to how i see fit, or should i look at the state as a whole and say maybe next year?

Our area is definitely seeing a shortage, no doubt, while other areas have a surplus. This could be said for the entire state and there isn't a magic solution that can be made to satisfy the masses, period. Ultimately, it's going to be up to us as hunters to take care of our herds. Sure, the DNR has the stats and research to back up their stance but ultimately it's going to be up to us how we want to proceed and what WE WANT to harvest. As for the Governor, I don't think he wanted to ruffle any feathers (Farm Bureau) that early in his term. I'm certainly NOT defending him, but that's just my opinion. Hopefully some changes can be made at some point. And yes, definitely do away with the late antlerless season!

Bottom line: We need to make the choices that are right for our own areas and keep as many people informed on the issue as possible.

-Longspurs-

but what if the "100" acres i hunt is the only place that holds deer in the area.. am i then allowed to manage to how i see fit, or should i look at the state as a whole and say maybe next year?

You already know my answer....my reason for posting is to get hunters to think about it before they drop 10 more does this season...we are the only management tool and possibly are own worst enemy

Get Involved!

As we all know the issue of the deer population in Iowa is complex.

I urge each and everyone one of you who has voiced your opinions on this subject to not sit on the fence and do nothing.

Please contact your state representatives and let your voices be heard.

Also please register with http://www.iowawhitetailsforever.com and stay informed about the issues.

Here are some real numbers from the IDNR site.
1990 Season total licenses total harvest success percentage
192,551 98,002 51%

2005 season 391,864 211,451 54%

2009 season 405,547 136,504 33%

Can you see any kind of a trend here?
Here is another sad set of numbers. So far for this season, which does include the youth season, part of early ML and the first 19 days of the bow season, there have been 8024 deer reported harvested. Sadly only 2546 of them had more than spikes that made them considered antlered deer. So as of right now the harvest rate is still 68.3% does or button bucks or 4 shed bucks. So if we extrapolate that to a total harvest of perhaps less than 120,000 deer with an antlered harvest of 31.7 percent that means a total of around 38,000 antlered bucks harvested state wide. Again I ask if anyone can see a trend there.

Also while we are on this topic, I haven't purchased any deer licenses yet so I don't know, are we still being forced to participate in the HUSH program by charging us extra on our license fees? While this may have been a worth while program at one time, I don't believe that those of us who are truly against this excessive doe harvest should be forced to support those who are still over indulging in the slaughter of the Iowa deer herd. For those who actually choose to keep this program going, should my after tax dollars be used involuntarily to support your misdirected efforts? To me it would be like adding $2.00 a year to my drivers license to pay for cigarettes for those who can't afford them. Just doesn't seem right to me!

i disagree, I'm firmly against most welfare type programs that our government institues, but i believe the HUSH program does something great, i personally have no issue with the $1 extra on my tag.

I think we should end this thred by everyone agreeing that in some areas a lot of does should be shot. Some areas only a few and some, none at all.It's that simple. Each individual should be focusing on doing what is beneficial to their own area and not worry about what the neighbors are doing. Yea I know, this approach sucks but you just can't change people or try to argue with stupid. The end is usually the same. Sometimes we have to look for new places to hunt, like it or not. I'm just thankful I get to hunt in the greatest whitetail state in the nation..............ck

Back