Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Successful Stalk!!!!!

Iowa1

I realize it is only a button buck but the story is what makes it remarkable. My 13-year-old son Dawson snuck up on this buck in his stocking feet and put an arrow though its heart from 25 yards tonight.

Dawson_button_buck.jpg

Here's the whole story. I picked him up from school and we were going to go sit in our ground blind along the edge of an alfalfa field. When we got to the field, this deer was already standing out in front of the ground blind and Dawson was dying to stalk it. He always wants to get out of his stand and try to sneak up on deer and I have really been discouraging him from doing that because it is such a longshot and I am trying to convince him it is better to stay in the stand. ANyway the wind was right and he REALLY wanted to take a try at this deer. I relented and watched with binoculars from the top of a hill about 125 yards away as he carefully sneaked through the edge of the woods towards the deer. With about 50 yards left I was suprised that he took off his shoes! Long story short, he gets to within 25 yard which is a stretch for his shooting range, but he isn't going to get any closer. He calmly puts an arrow through the deer's heart and both lungs. The whole thing took about 20 minutes. It ran about 80 yards and died right inside the trees. We wer ehome hanging the deer before dark.

It is going to be a long time before the smile goes off his face and it is going to be a lot harder to keep him in the tree stand from now on when there are deer out in front of him. The kid is turning into quite the predator.

Congrats to both of you on a fun hunt. Neat story - and maybe you can put a leash on him next time to keep him in the blind or stand.

great story!!

i dont care if it had spots, thats an awesome accomplishment!!

Congrats!!!!

That is one of the best photo's I have seen on here. Your story did hurt it any either. Way cool guys!

Some people just have it instilled in them Dad. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif Once ya start you can't stop. Awesome job Dawson!!!!Way to go Bud!

Your not going to keep him in the stand easy now, it's one deer he'll remember more fondly than some of the big ones he'll most likely kill in his hunting career. Congrats to Dawson the hunter!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is one of the best photo's I have seen on here </div></div>

I agree. That may be the best trophy photo we've seen this season.

This is one of my favorite stories so far this year.

I know how much I always wanted to try things "my-way" whenever I hunted with my dad...it was mostly with turkey hunting and how to call and how often. My dad's ways are proven affective, but I knew I could do it my way and be just as affective.

Long story short, I'm glad you allowed your son to think for himself and to try his method. Hopefully he still listens to you and understands different ways of hunting, because climbing out of a stand isn't always going to work.

I'm sure he's proud of himself.

Send him my congrats on a job well done.

Dawson...way to go buddy!

If you read this, tell your dad thanks for giving you the opportunity and taking you hunting.

Congrats to both of you, that is also a fantastic picture!

As they say, "One for the books boys"!!!!

Too Cool! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Top Bottom