Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The Future of Iowa Hunting - Rumors Flying

What about an "earn a buck" type of deal for NR Landowners? i.e. A NR landowner can get a doe tag every year, but only every 3rd year would they be eligible for an Any Sex tag.

Obviously this would only apply in counties where the herd needs such management. This could raise revenue, help manage the herd, allow NR landowners to hunt here every year while managing the property responsibly, but not create a huge increase in demand for land.

Just an idea. What do you guys think?

As for hunting giant bulls in AZ, if you ever do decide its worth it, Antlerfreak, give me a shout. :way:[/QUOTE]

Dont get me wrong, I would love to elk hunt down there, Ive just always thaught it would take 10+ years to get drawn or cost me a small fortune to go quickly. Im a do it yourself type of guy anyhow and going out west on public ground, camping, and everything els that goes with it is what its all about for me, athough actually having a chance at a 350+ bull someday would be a dream of mine.
On another note..........................Hows the shed hunting down there:D
Id take you up on that any time you need some company!

As for hunting giant bulls in AZ, if you ever do decide its worth it, Antlerfreak, give me a shout. :way:

Dont get me wrong, I would love to elk hunt down there, Ive just always thaught it would take 10+ years to get drawn or cost me a small fortune to go quickly. Im a do it yourself type of guy anyhow and going out west on public ground, camping, and everything els that goes with it is what its all about for me, athough actually having a chance at a 350+ bull someday would be a dream of mine.
On another note..........................Hows the shed hunting down there:D
Id take you up on that any time you need some company!

That's all part of my beef with our "Bonus Point" and lottery system. It could take you 10 years to get drawn (I'm on 5 or 6 years now, but I've also skipped years of apply and buying bonus points to keep current) and you could get drawn right away. I had a buddy (got me into archery) that got drawn 3 consecutive years for a low-tag, high trophy bull unit archery hunt (and then went 8 years before getting drawn again). I'm on track to actually have a good chance at getting my 1st archery bull tag in 2012, but then I'm skipping next yere in AZ to come to IA and hunt all those 170" deer! ;) A small fortune wouldn't do you any good in this state! Like you, I'm a DIY public land guy. There are certainly other states that are much more conducive for your dreams. But, one of the last stats I read (a year or so ago) had AZ as producing the most 400"+ bulls in the country (most within 2-3 hours of Flagstaff).

The shed hunting can be great, although with 2 kids its been tough for me to get out. I made one half-hearted attempt last spring and found nothing. With the kids getting older, I'm going to try harder this spring and drag them with me! I could always use company, though! :way:

What about an "earn a buck" type of deal for NR Landowners? i.e. A NR landowner can get a doe tag every year, but only every 3rd year would they be eligible for an Any Sex tag.

Obviously this would only apply in counties where the herd needs such management. This could raise revenue, help manage the herd, allow NR landowners to hunt here every year while managing the property responsibly, but not create a huge increase in demand for land.

Just an idea. What do you guys think?
Why give the NR landowner any rights at all? Why start an earn a buck sytem in Iowa at all? A doe tag every year for any NR just gives them the oppurtunity to party hunt. And i think several people already mentioned how well that system works. If a NR landowner needs management; they can allow hunting or get in the dreperdation program that is in place for just such an ocassion.

Ya, I have a good friend that moved to AZ after college and went to work for Wietz down there, His boss at the time had been applying for a riffle tag for 10+years and the first year my buddy was a resident he drew a tag. go figure, His boss was good enough to take him around though and he ended up shooting a 300 class bull for his first big game animal ever:rolleyes:

As far as shed hunting, I have 2-3 sheddng trips ined up for next spring already as well as miles and miles here in Iowa, but if something falls through or maby in 2012 Id like to give it a try if you could help out in pointing me in the right direction. Im going to try out west this year but with the restrictions on dates and zones and the locals knowing all the wintering hot spots and being very serious about there shed hunting Im not sure how much luck Ill have. Maby AZ is the same way I dont know. Even though Im a big do it yourselfer, a little local knolege goes a long way when shed hunting out of state.

Ill keep in touch.

Why give the NR landowner any rights at all? Why start an earn a buck sytem in Iowa at all? A doe tag every year for any NR just gives them the oppurtunity to party hunt. And i think several people already mentioned how well that system works. If a NR landowner needs management; they can allow hunting or get in the dreperdation program that is in place for just such an ocassion.

I dont understand what the big deal is about NR using doe tags to party hunt and shoot a buck in Iowa. Yes I know it makes it easier for some to break the law and such, but you act like evey NR that does it is breaking the law. I think If a NR wanted to illegally take a deer from Iowa, why not hust come up and kill one and take there chances. If its legal its legal, and the same number of bucks are going to die weather farmer John shoots the buck or oil man Mike from Texas shoots it and Farmer john puts his tag on it. If you ask me that brings alot of NR here to hunt which brings in revenue but at the same time a big $ guy that doesnt know anyone wont buy or lease up alot of land knowing he doesnt have a party to hunt with.
Unless Im missing something?

Antlerfreak...what other state in the country can you buy a doe or cow tag and be legal to shoot a buck or bull.Do you think Iowa is the only state that has it right?Do you think Iowa is right to be the only state to allow party hunting?
A NR puts in for the draw and don't draw but he is still able to buy a doe tag and come here anyway and kill a buck? That is insane IMO
NR hunters don't spend much in the communities in a week or 2.Most places don't even notice an increase in buisness except hotels and most of those are chain hotels so the money goes to the corporate office anyway.
No ones comes out ahead from NR hunting besides the DNR.

Why give the NR landowner any rights at all? Why start an earn a buck sytem in Iowa at all?

Yeah, why should the person that bought the land and owns the land and pays property taxes get any rights, they shouldn't be able to lease the land to a farmer either, they should allow locals to farm it for free.

Local non-landowning hunters should have more rights to hunt that property than the person that actually owns it. Wouldn't ya'll agree?

These people that think someone buys land and actually gets to use the land :D

I talked to a local dnr officer today while my brother turned in a bobcat. He said that the dnr turns away millions of dollars every year by not allowing all the nr in the state. However he made a lot of points that all of you are, that if we allow every nr that owns land to buy a tag you wont be able to buy a piece of timber ever again. The only thing we could hope is that land owners try not to sell for hunting purpose only, but when the price is right, its right. I farm and it makes me sick to see someone buy ground for hunting and turn it all to crp when the grounds CRS is 55 to 60. But I also love shooting bigger deer on the ground we farm than the ground absolutely nobody else but them goes on. I am sayin that I am aginst allowing more nr tags in the state I would rather pay more for my tag if that helps some.

There has been some mention about purchasing a doe tag and being able to party hunt and shoot a buck. There are many pro's and con's with this issue.

If you remember just a few years ago, if a NR archery hunter did not get drawn for an any-sex tag, he/she could purchase a doe tag. This led to a record number of poaching cases across the State. Finally the DNR stopped this program.

Now the big scam is for a NR to purchase a doe tag for any of the gun seasons. They find a local that isn't hunting and get them to purchase a license for the appropriate season. Now they have the ability to shoot a buck. Just another way of poaching while making it look legal.

There have also been some great comments and recommendations. No matter what happens and how many laws change, very few of them can be enforced due to the lack of CO's. I own a small piece of land and every year I have trespassers to contend with. I call the local CO and even the Sherriff however they are never close enough to get here within a reasonable amount of time. I know that they are busy during the gun seasons however they are way under staffed.

String gun Shooter, Do you have the facts to back up your claim? I would venture that far more violations occur during the shotgun seasons than the few non-resident archery season violations. Poachers will be poachers, whether they have a tag or not. I was one who was displaced when they eliminated the archery NR doe tags. Dumb as it may sound, I traveled thousands of miles and spent hundreds each year in Iowa to shoot a doe with my bow in Iowa. Crazy as it may seem, I didn't give a damn about horns, I just like to hunt whitetails with my bow. I could come down each year and shoot multiple bucks during shotgun season with my doe tag. ( all legal as I could use any number of resident relatives tags) , but that doesn't float my boat. I have no problem with the every other or every three years for a buck tag, it is worth it to me, just let me hunt with my bow every year. I hunt family owned land and am a threat to no one. I know a few big Iowa bucks would confirm that:grin:!

akcarv, that is a fact and the reason that a NR cannot purchase a doe tag. The other part that I left off was that NR's were buying the doe tags and then coming to Iowa and hiring a local to round up resident any sex tags. This was also happening with a few outfitters where they would sell a hunt that would include a resident any sex tag.

It's unfortunate that a fine, outstanding sportsman like you had to be punished because other were greedy. I welcome anyone that is willing to follow the rules, respect the land, and cherish the privelage to hunt. :way:

Why give the NR landowner any rights at all? Why start an earn a buck sytem in Iowa at all?

Yeah, why should the person that bought the land and owns the land and pays property taxes get any rights, they shouldn't be able to lease the land to a farmer either, they should allow locals to farm it for free.

Local non-landowning hunters should have more rights to hunt that property than the person that actually owns it. Wouldn't ya'll agree?

These people that think someone buys land and actually gets to use the land :D
Not earning enough money farming the Iowa land? Maybe Minnesota would be a better farming opportuntity for you. You could also hunt your land every year! I'm sure you knew the regulations before you bought Iowa ground. And if you're like most of the NR landowners i know; your land is off limits to hunting except for the neighboring landowners while the NR party hunts with them.

Not earning enough money farming the Iowa land? Maybe Minnesota would be a better farming opportuntity for you. You could also hunt your land every year! I'm sure you knew the regulations before you bought Iowa ground. And if you're like most of the NR landowners i know; your land is off limits to hunting except for the neighboring landowners while the NR party hunts with them.

Yes I knew the regulations/rules but now you and a few others on this site are trying to change the rules by eliminating the shotgun doe permit. Kind of hard to keep saying live with the rules, and then also try to change the rules.
My land is being hunted by a local Iowa family, they have passed on two nice bucks so far as they are hunting for a good one and they are keeping an eye on the property which had some trespassing in the past.

i hunt iowa as a non resident i was born there lived there 21yrs now i live in missouri i get a nr bow tag when i get drawn stay in a motel eat in local cafes spend a lot of money like a lot of other non residents :drink1:

Hardwood..I for one don't care if the DNR eliminates the NR does tag.But I would like to see all the NRs with doe tags haul a doe home in thier truck instead of a buck with someone else's tag on it.I am quite certain 99% of non-residents wouldn't come here from parts unknown just to shoot a doe.
I believe if it wasn't for party hunting,Shotgun hunting in Iowa wouldn't be that big of a deal.

If Iowa had more public land, we would have less issue with the land getting bought up. It used to be a lot easier (by easier I mean no $ needed) to acquire permission to hunt a private farm. Now, most of it is leased out. The commercialization of hunting didn't help anything, when people think 150" deer only live on private farms. I just wish a larger portion of our license fees went to acquiring more land for us to hunt.

With that said- I have it pretty good here where I'm at. I'm only about 10 miles from over 13,500 acres of public land. But there's a lot of counties that hardly have any. I love hunting public land, doesn't bother me at all. Just wish we had more of it.

Some of my best spots are on public land, just super hard to access. If I didn't have my private farms to hunt, I wouldn't really be all that concerned.

I'd also like to add that I'm not okay with the NR tags going up. However, we got out better with Branstad than Culver. Culver would have increased it by like 10,000. Just lesser of the two evils.

Yes I knew the regulations/rules but now you and a few others on this site are trying to change the rules by eliminating the shotgun doe permit. Kind of hard to keep saying live with the rules, and then also try to change the rules.
My land is being hunted by a local Iowa family, they have passed on two nice bucks so far as they are hunting for a good one and they are keeping an eye on the property which had some trespassing in the past.
So the only people that hunt your land is the neighbors! So they can keep an eye on the property! How far off is that from what i already said? Now why would you care to come to Iowa to shoot a doe; if you have Iowa hunters already to control the population? As far as leasing your land or whatever you want to do; i could care less. If you can't afford the taxes on your land; sell it. I'm sick of hearing the whining from the NR landowners. Why did you buy land in Iowa to begin with?

Top Bottom