Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The Future of Iowa Hunting - Rumors Flying

Effigy Mounds should stay off-limits. End of story.

Why may I ask should it? There is no reason that it could not be open to bowhunting at least, I'll take my chances with the ghosts there. :D I don't think we stole it from the Indians like most everything else did we?

We need more public land for the residents and NR to enjoy. I think some of us forget about Iowans travelling out of state to hunt. I wonder what the numbers are, but our public lands pale in comparison to CO or WY for example. If we had more land to hunt, the leasing up of land wouldn't be as big of a deal.

I hunt mostly public and enjoy it. Granted, I don't see as many deer as some people do, but I still enjoy my hunts.

I used to get worked up about these posts, but now I don't let them bug me. We aren't going to sway anyones opinion on this issue by arguing about it on the internet. Let your voice be heard to those who matter when the time is right. Until then, get in the treestand or spend some time with the family.

Public Ground is under alot of pressure already. I am against more NR hunters for this reason and land prices for the other reason. If they did allow more NR tags, maybe they could make them a separate category of tag that did not allow you to hunt public ground. The money that Iowa earned from these NR tags could go to fund that new ammendment.

I would rather shoot does, I dont care about antlers. I hate paying $27 to shot a doe and then anther $27 to shoot one during muzzle. How about turning the resident anysex tag into a Buck only tag. Charge $100 or whatever for it, but dont require us resident doe hunters to purchase one. Also, why is it a statewide tag, that doesnt give you any control over buck populations in any counties. I think resident hunters that want to hunt bucks, should fork over more to prevent the increase of NR.

Make a buck worth more than a doe. The way it is currently, Im going to fill my anysex tag with the first deer that I can, buck or doe doesnt matter to me, and alot of other hunters are the same way. Make it matter, by changing the cost of that buck.

In linn county raising the anysex tag from $27 to $100 would generate at least $138,700. How many acres could you buy for that!

Last edited:
Effigy Mounds is sacred ground! What are you talking about? Even the government workers that work there got in trouble for disturbing a mound this year putting a board walk in. If it wasn't Indian sacred ground; it would be corn fields like most of Iowa. We're talking about raising money for the DNR, and you're talking about spending more money. And if the DNR could come up with this extra money; where besides Indian burial ground would you suggest? As for kids inheriting land. What kind of land are you talking about? 10 or 20 acre parcels? I haven't heard of anybody inheriting a farm in this day and age! If they did; i would hope they would move back to their roots and farmed the land. Please you guys from out of state that buy 40 or 80 acres and want to be treated like a resident farmer really get my goat! Next you'll be lobbying to hunt other land also, because your land doesn't have enough bucks on it. Now lastly i hate to rain on everybodys parade, but everybody can't buy a piece of land in Iowa to hunt. For one thing there isn't that much recreational land for sale. That is why the land prices have raised so much. If it gets any higher; it'll be competing with cropland prices. That does remind me though; i may have 20 acres of ravines for sale.

Most of the mounds in Effigy Mounds are concentrated in a very small area along the Mississippi. The majority of Effigy Mounds is the Yellow River bottoms and surrounding ridges. They want to create an "oak savanna" but that will never happen as they will never get any natural oak regeneration because of too many deer. We're letting out tax dollars go for that place to sit empty and nobody can enjoy it, why not open it up?

Most of the mounds in Effigy Mounds are concentrated in a very small area along the Mississippi. The majority of Effigy Mounds is the Yellow River bottoms and surrounding ridges. They want to create an "oak savanna" but that will never happen as they will never get any natural oak regeneration because of too many deer. We're letting out tax dollars go for that place to sit empty and nobody can enjoy it, why not open it up?
Once the tree huggers and every other special interest group gets their claws into something it will never be changed to being able to use it like it was meant to be. I don't know why Iowa doesn't charge nonresidents to use our parks like Wisconsin does to us did they ever hear of reciprical <sp>? You can't even drive through a park without paying there. Iowa tried to make us pay for park stickers 20 years ago and usage went down the toilet instead of making nonresidents pay for using them.

Last edited:
I would rather shoot does, I dont care about antlers. I hate paying $27 to shot a doe and then anther $27 to shoot one during muzzle. How about turning the resident anysex tag into a Buck only tag. Charge $100 or whatever for it, but dont require us resident doe hunters to purchase one. Also, why is it a statewide tag, that doesnt give you any control over buck populations in any counties. I think resident hunters that want to hunt bucks, should fork over more to prevent the increase of NR.

You don't care about antlers?

You sure look happy holding that rack in your avatar though. :D

If you don't like paying the $27 for another seasons tag, then tag another one during slug season and pay $13 and save the $14.

Unfortunately no matter what the IA resident is willing to do, the NR increase is not going to go away forever - it's called politics and no matter how much you kick and scream, it's never going to be just one sided - that side being the resident never wanting any NR increases. Not that I'm for it, it's just the way it is.

Here is another way to look at this....

If you don't like not having ground to hunt, then just move to central MN - I can just about get permission on any piece of ground I want; now, there isn't jack didly for deer on most of them, but at least I have a place to go. The pain of not seeing mature bucks lessens and lessens every year...now I can joke about it.

If the IA deer populations continue to trend the way they are as stated in other posts on this forum maybe you too will be able to access all the ground you want too when the population gets too low from years and years of pounding does just to HUSH them so you can shoot more deer and stay in the woods. In the early 2000s, MN had the "overpopulation" problem that much of IA has or "did" have - a few years of people shooting 5 a piece took care of that so maybe if IA keeps offering all the antlerless tags it will be a state that reverts to a "lottery" doe tag and you can shoot ONE deer PERIOD all year like what we have here and no more NRs will even want to hunt IA so the tag increases won't even matter will they?

I can assure you that MN doesn't have this NR problem so it's at least something to consider when shooting your slickheads that you have to pay an extra $27 for Greg, so keep shooting your does, maybe with enough time and people shooting them you won't have to worry about the NR anyway. I'd be lobbying for a decrease in antlerless tags vs making the IA resident pay more before IA becomes MN. Don't laugh.....my neighbors never thought they'd see the deer numbers they do today when they shot 4 limits of deer at 5 a piece in 2 days in 2001.

We try to shoot a doe a piece on my farm and there are three of us that hunt it. If one guy shoots two, the only one of us shoots the other. In saying that, I am not sure what "science" goes behind truly knowing how many to take, but it was interesting to note that Bill Winke on a recent episode of MW stated he was considering the notion that MAYBE he was taking too many does off his farm.

I worried about that also but again, take 2-3 each year, with the surrounding farms taking their share in shotgun etc, our numbers are staying consistent and I hope that continues.

In my area of Central IA, the only expanding populations are in areas immediately surrounding city limits. The bigger timber tracts around the river corridors are down. I have heard the same consistent opinions of "where are all the deer". Even the farmers are saying they didn't see much for deer while harvesting !! Well, I agree that 5+ yrs of harvesting extra does at whatever your county's quota was is making a BIG dent in population levels (coupled with the last two harsh winters, poaching pressure, etc). Any additional pressure (I don't care if it's NR tag increases or continued anterless quotas) is something I hope does not happen in my area.

The only population that seems to be expanding in my area is yotes!!

What are you talking about? First of all the Effigy Mounds area is open year round to all public. Secondly the mounds are not concentrated in one small area like you suggest. If you believe it's ok to hunt the Effigy Mounds area; how would you feel if i erected a tower stand over your mothers tomb stone? I for one believe there are places in the United States (such as our national parks) that should be left to enjoy as they are; not trumped on by anybody that desires to. How would you feel if the next time you went to a national park you saw empty shotgun casings, and beer cans. That's what i see on our few public acres here in eastern Iowa.

The only population that seems to be expanding in my area is yotes!!

It's funny you say that because the other part of the equation that has affected the deer population around where I live and hunt is the yotes. In 2005 the year before I moved into my place in the country a different neighbor and his crew shot right at 80 yotes in one season chasing them with dogs and they saw at least that many that they did not get. That was their 3rd year killing coyotes because they said the population exploded when the fur market totally went to crap (not that it's been great for a long time) right around the same time that the MN DNR let people shoot 5 deer a piece. Add those 2 things together and it is easy to see why our population tanked - so get out and kill some coyotes!

I agree with Cedar Creek.Effigy Mounts is a monument.It represents Iowa's history and you guys that think you should be allowed to hunt in that monument should do a little reading on history so you understand that.
Also Greg Bickal....If you just want to just shoot does I don't think you HAVE to buy an any-sex tag.I may be wrong because I never considered it but I think you can just by your first doe tag for $27 and buy more for $13 without having to buy and any-sex tag.But I doubt many would even think of doing that.

What are you talking about? First of all the Effigy Mounds area is open year round to all public. Secondly the mounds are not concentrated in one small area like you suggest. If you believe it's ok to hunt the Effigy Mounds area; how would you feel if i erected a tower stand over your mothers tomb stone? I for one believe there are places in the United States (such as our national parks) that should be left to enjoy as they are; not trumped on by anybody that desires to. How would you feel if the next time you went to a national park you saw empty shotgun casings, and beer cans. That's what i see on our few public acres here in eastern Iowa.

No, it's not a big 2,000 acre cemetery as you would have it. Especially the most recent 1,000 acre addition to it. Do you feel mounds on private land should be undisturbed? If you knew about mounds you'd know that most of them were not in fact burial mounds. I mean, what do I know about Effigy Mounds, neighboring the park on two sides and growing up across the river isn't much

It is true, as has been stated here. If Iowa deer hunting goes the way of the other mid-west states, the worry about NonResidents wanting to hunt Iowa will go away. Too bad it has to go that way, but seems it is.

You're being extreme with the tower stand statement. I don't think it would hurt to be able to bowhunt ANYWHERE including the National Parks, the Parks are so trampled down from all the tourists now, bowhunting isn't going to hurt a thing. When was the last time you were at Yellowstone, I was there almost 40 years ago and a couple years ago and it is nothing like it was then and I don't plan on going back again. Oh and the public land that you must be talking about may be Big Mill in Bellevue, people shoot trap from the parking lot and kids/adults drink beer there and throw out their cans ect., it's a case of slobs and you're always going to have that.

The mounds are ceremonial and representative of a lot of things but from what I understand, they are rarely (if ever) burial sites. I'm sure there are parts of that park where bowhunters could get in without disturbing the history that is present... I'd just hate to see the place get pounded and disrespected because you know not every hunter that goes in there will follow the rules.

No, it's not a big 2,000 acre cemetery as you would have it. Especially the most recent 1,000 acre addition to it. Do you feel mounds on private land should be undisturbed? If you knew about mounds you'd know that most of them were not in fact burial mounds. I mean, what do I know about Effigy Mounds, neighboring the park on two sides and growing up across the river isn't much
Oh well now; growing up next to the park. That explains why you have no respect for the Effigy Mounds Park. I say if you guys need to hunt an Indian cerimonial site so bad; lobby to do so. I will say i have always been proud to be a hunter, but i would be ashamed to be associated in the same pathetic group as anyone who needs to hunt park ground. The simple fact of the matter is the majority of Iowa hunting is private land. Now we need to deal with NR's wanting in on the equation also. Hell lets just open up the state for everybody. Then we can all look to hunt somewhere else in the near future.

Hell lets just open up the state for everybody. Then we can all look to hunt somewhere else in the near future.
I thought that's what this is all about in the first place? I'll let Kelly comment on your other comments. That is you isn't it Kelly?

This is just for fun since you guys are sooo worked up over this mound thing. My mom is 89, and I asked her what she would think about a "tower stand erected over her tombstone". She said if he was big enough I sure better put a stand up!!! She's also the same one that got me started trapping when I was 13, and told me..."You can't catch fur with the traps in the garage...'get those things set!'

You Iowa boys better get yourself a $20 membership with the Iowa Bowhunters Assn. They are the group that fights this battle EVERY year. They have kept Iowa from becoming what we all hate.
You can argue on this forum til you are red in the face. Getting a membership, getting informed and making your legislative contacts is the only thing that'll ever make a difference.

......and leave the damn indians memorial alone....they were true deer hunters!;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom