Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Thought of day- NR’s, lobbyists & politicians wanting to change our laws..

No way am I on board with our government tracking us by our phones. I don't care how "just" the reason. If they can use it on them, they can use it on all of us. You have no idea what they could use that power for next.
Agree..I think that’s over the top. I’m a nonresident and I don’t want guys to break the law, but cmon it’s a deer ?

A friend of mine said that to me once, remember it’s just a deer . There are more important things in life .

Agree..I think that’s over the top. I’m a nonresident and I don’t want guys to break the law, but cmon it’s a deer ?

A friend of mine said that to me once, remember it’s just a deer . There are more important things in life .
the thing is- if you carry a phone today, they are already tracking you. Ever notice your phone comes up with “x” minutes until a certain destination?

the thing is- if you carry a phone today, they are already tracking you. Ever notice your phone comes up with “x” minutes until a certain destination?

No I didn’t . The next thing will be drones watching the hunt or buzzing a boat on a lake ?? For dumb.

Tracking phones happens all the time but it requires a search warrant. I’d say the example you’re hearing about is an active investigation. There are much simpler ways, for example checking the post office for mail delivery. The postal inspectors will do a quick query and determine who and how long a person is receiving mail at a specific address. It’s not full proof but a dang good indicator.

Tracking phones happens all the time but it requires a search warrant. I’d say the example you’re hearing about is an active investigation. There are much simpler ways, for example checking the post office for mail delivery. The postal inspectors will do a quick query and determine who and how long a person is receiving mail at a specific address. It’s not full proof but a dang good indicator.
Gets tricky though- a lot of people put ground/houses in LLCs and trusts. One I heard about is they had their mail shipped to their uncles place and just picked it up monthly so they could claim iowa residency.

I think phone tracking might be a stretch, but I have been told by staff that DNR has tax experts who can start to make a case for, or flag, NRs claiming residency based off their purchases, tax history, etc.

Maybe the phone tracking is only for a few they're already building a case on and have gotten warrants?

I appreciate our DNR & overall I think our officers generally do a good job. Some more than others. Mistakes or poor judgment clearly happen like anything & especially in the law field. What “bothers me” is when I hear examples where folks are actively poaching…. As in: shooting deer out of vehicles. Sneaking into farms to poach. Shooting 10, 20, 30 bucks (which does happen). Egregious activities where the officer does not respond or doesn’t respond in timely manner. Or won’t put in the time to catch “the worst offenders”. I’ll be honest - if all the attention was put towards the worst offenders - hard core poaching, I personally could be ok nailing those guys in exchange for all other far more minor infractions being put on back burner until resolved or minimized.
Are offenses all bad- sure, but there’s a level of horrible poaching that often does not get the attention it needs. Analogy…. I lived in college town in “rough area”. Drugs, theft & crime was BAD…. The police spent more time going after college kids for noise violations & under age drinking. It was a real problem & this was a real example of poor focus of law.
FOCUS ON THE WORST POACHERS that every neighborhood has & branch out after they are widely nailed. Takes a lot of work & new approach to the job but IMO- that’s one issue I see across state too often.

Top Bottom