Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Throat punched tom!

wapsiguy

PMA Member
Throat punched Tom! (Story/Pics added)

I gave one the bullhead throat punch this morning and happened to have the trail cam catch them before 2 became 1. :D

I will post story later today. Note that my camera time hasnt "sprung" ahead yet.

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
After filling my first archery tag Monday morning I was undecided on whether I should wait to buy a 4th season tag or go get another bow tag. Since 4th season doesn’t start until May 2nd I opted for the bow tag.
I slipped into a piece of property that borders the river and popped up the blind yesterday on my lunch hour. This morning the weather was far from what you want as a turkey hunter but I was fairly confident there were birds roosting on my side and I have had awesome luck there the last couple years.

I made my way in the dark and had the decoys set and ready to roll by 5:20.

picture.php

The wind was really whipping and I knew I wouldn’t be able to hear any gobbles outside of 100 yards or so. The first and only gobble came at 6:01. Being in a blind really hinders your hearing so I wasn’t sure where it came from. I made a couple fly down calls and some soft yelps and sat back to read up on IW. a short 5 or so minutes later out of the corner of my eye I catch movement and no more than 3-4 steps from my blind a tom is racing to my Jake decoy followed by another. I slowly reached for my bow and hooked up waiting for them to take a break from flogging my decoy. I drew back and strained to find my top pin, once I got everything settled I let the arrow eat. The bigger bird lay next to the decoy as the second tom spent nearly 15 minutes beating his downed partner.

picture.php

What a season! Short but very rewarding as this is the first time I have tagged two birds with a bow in Iowa. I plan on going out with friends here in Iowa until the second annual Kansas trip in May.:grin: :drink1:

Specs: 21 pounds, 7/8" spurs and thick 10" beard

Good luck and stay safe out there guys ;)

picture.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom