Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tiller ??

shrek1

PMA Member
I'm looking into buying a 3pt tiller either 5 or 6ft wide. Anyone have a reccomendation on a brand, size, and price on them. Also how many horsepower is recquired for each size? Thanks in advance.

A friend of mine uses a 6' KK on a NH 33hp diesel tractor. He gets by with very low ground speed, but another 10hp would help.

I use a 6' with a D17 AC and it is a nice combination. I would guess the tractor at 50-55hp.

I'm going to try a 6' on a 30hp D14 gas for giggles in a couple weeks (if it ever drys up), I can report back. Have a feeling it's not going to like it... I would guess you would want about 6.5hp (min) per foot of tiller. What are you going to use for a tractor?

Hooked a large tree root last year and the slip clutch didn't slip. The pto u joint let go.... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shrek1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I'm looking into buying a 3pt tiller either 5 or 6ft wide. Anyone have a reccomendation on a brand, size, and price on them. Also how many horsepower is recquired for each size? Thanks in advance. </div></div>

Check this older thread for some previous discussion on the subject of tillers: Tiller Advice

I run a 60" Kubota tiller on my 790 JD which is under 30 PTO HP if I remember correctly. It doesn't even make it "breathe hard" /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

A tiller requires a fraction of the HP that pull type implements require so it just depends on how much work you will do with it and what type of ground?

I big heavy duty tiller is going to make a tractor work harder then a lighter duty one and quality is like everything...you usually get what you pay for.

A cheaper brand will most likely last most small food plotters a lifetime if you take care of it but if your planning on doing larger acreages and rough ground or sharing it with a friend then a better "name brand" tiller might be better for you.

I have worked my Kubota to death for close to 17 years now and some welds broke near the gear box (3 pt hitch area) and a chain tightner finger broke last spring. I had the welds re-welded and ordered a new tightner and it's still pluggin' away.

Make sure you can easily get parts for whatever you decide on and that you can get parts 15 years from now... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Shrek,

I use a 60" Kuhn tiller on a 35hp New Holland compact tractor. Works great, easy hook up, and very reliable. Give Kuhn implements a look.

Thanks guys,

I'l look into both types of tillers. I'm going to be using either a 33hp kubota or a 37hp kubota.

shreck,
I had a 37 and a 50hp kubota and bought the tractor supply 72 inch tiller.
it does the job just fine.

I have a 80hp john deere 5425 and am still using that tiller.

good deal for the money.

doug

I have a 37hp kubota and use a 60" King Kutter. Based on all the home work I did before buying I would say that 60" is as large as you should go, with that size tractor. I burned the clutch pads pretty fast in mine working in a cleared area in the trees but it was a simple fix(roots). I am also pretty sure KK are at the low end of pricing for a new tiller but they turns the dirt very well and creates a great seed bed. I would not get a six footer unless you get a bigger tractor.

How about a 6' King Kutter on a 48 hp 4320 JD compact utility?
Anyone use a 6' or 7' disk behind a tractor this size? Also would you rather have a drawn or 3 point if you were to use a disk?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Single Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about a 6' King Kutter on a 48 hp 4320 JD compact utility?
Anyone use a 6' or 7' disk behind a tractor this size? Also would you rather have a drawn or 3 point if you were to use a disk? </div></div>

That tractor should handle those implemenst like they aren't even there!

3 pt is easy to get around with and no need to hydraulic hoses/fittings/

Field Service, I have same concern- slip clutch doesn't slip! Should I stear away from KK or other cheaper tillers?

Who else has solid brands, sounds like dbltree is saying Kubota tillers are great, not sure where to find one.

Back40- where do I look into Kuhn? I'll try a search to start online. Available in IA?

My Tractor is JD 5103 4wd, 45 hp, 38 hp pto (540). If you have more input based on that and from your experiences of what you think TO get and what NOT TO get?!?!?

Just an FYI- did some looking. If you want a KK tiller (60") it's around $1,700 at Farm and Fleet.
If you want a JD it's AROUND $2,800 for same size. Did some pricing yesterday after I bought my rotary mower.

Still nervous to go with KK brand. Anybody confirm that I should be nervous and forget thinking about the cheaper way OR is there anybody out there that would say - NO WORRIES, go for it on the KK? I DON'T WANT PROBLEMS- probably the only time I EVER lose my temper is out in a field with broken equipment!!!!!!! ARRRRRR!!!!

My last thing I will for surely do is re-read all the previous threads, they had some GOLD in them- sounds like there's 3 more brands I need to look into really close. I think I am going to price out some other brands.

Top Bottom