Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tillers

bjkpharmd

Tiller question for those of you who already own one.
What depth are you working at and what is the maximum working depth for your unit?
Found an importer in Missouri that is offering ones that work 5-7 inches deep. Looks like they are built pretty heavy and price is right but that didn't seem very deep for tilling up sod.

Is this place down by Kirksville? I wanted to take a trip down there and see what he had and how well they were built but I couldn't get my neighbor talked in to a road trip.
grin.gif

I have it as a Milan, Missouri address. I called on this from a Hawkeye Trader ad and they sent me a spec sheet with a couple pictures. All the tillers (6, 6.5, 7, & 8 footers) are over 900 pounds so it seems to me like they must be built fairly solid. I just asked as for some reason 5-7 inches doesn't seem like much of a working depth.

Pharmer...don't you have way to many cool toys already??
crazy.gif
grin.gif

I'm not sure about the heavier tillers but 5-7" sounds pretty decent to me. Not compared to plowing but it doesn't create the hardpan that a moldboard does either.

I've never checked but I doubt if mine goes more then 5" deep even after a couple passes in sod...but I always end up with great seed beds.

Even corn is only planted a couple inches deep so depth isn't a big deal. A tiller mixes the soil while a plow has to turn it over and bury it.

If you have a lot of heavy trash or unmowed sod to till under your going to prefer your plow, otherwise the tiller is pretty slick
cool.gif

Maybe some comparisons in the links in this post also.

Tiller post

[ QUOTE ]
Pharmer...don't you have way to many cool toys already??

[/ QUOTE ]

Well today I spent $44 on a bearing for the disk- almost doubled what it is worth.
frown.gif
Second bearing I've put in her, just replaced the old dry rotted tires a couple weeks ago.

As far as having too many toys- you could say that I'm a bottomless pit of needs and wants.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
you could say that I'm a bottomless pit of needs and wants.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Gee...kinda sounds like my wife...
smirk.gif

My tiller is close to 15 years old and I've never done anything besides grease it.

I hear ya on the disc...great tool but they are hard on bearings, tires and wheel bearings. Disc's break as well and then one is pulling the whole gang off to get at anything
crazy.gif

Tiller would sure work nice in that beautiful soil on your place...and they are the cat's meow for little spots like the one in Dave's post
waytogo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you could say that I'm a bottomless pit of needs and wants.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Gee...kinda sounds like my wife...
smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, that sounds familiar....
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Tiller would sure work nice in that beautiful soil on your place...and they are the cat's meow for little spots like the one in Dave's post
waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That was my thinking too. My 5' KK tiller seems to run about 3"-4" on the first pass and 4"-6" on the second pass, though I haven't had much chance to experiment yet. From the research that I did the KK tillers are some of the heaviest. A friend of mine does alot of garden tilling for extra cash and I noticed that he has piled tractor weights on his (dont know the brand) so I believe that weight is a factor in the performance of a tiller. My KK is set at maximum depth which is advertised at 8". I am not sure that 8" is really possible but this might give you some comparison. Whatever you buy, I dont think you will be dissapointed in the results you get from a tiller.

I found this KK tiller locally and plan on buying it. $1289, also could get the 72 inch model for 1399. That beats Northerners advertised price by a bunch and there is no shipping($270). I was going to post yesterday and ask for other input on this unit. Today I see TP's reply and figure if he has one I gotta have one.
grin.gif

King Kutter

I got the price list- a 6' for $1300, 6.5' $1400, 7' $1500, & 8' for $1700. Dealer said he wants to get a few more out & around and was knocking off an extra $50 from the special pricing. They list weights from 902 up to 979 pounds. I think I'm going to go check one out.

If you're a Farm Bureau member you can get 10% off at TSC. When I checked into it I think it was $1150 for the 5' model. Take 10% off and you've got a pretty sweet tiller
grin.gif

mole

pharmer, what brand are you talking and where is the dealer? Your post encouraged me to call around some more and so far the best price I can find on a 60" KK II is $1199 in Perry, Iowa.

Top Bottom