Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Timing is everything

turkeyriver

PMA Member
I planted my corn-soybean plot the third week of June. It all grew beautifully but deer sightiings were just average. I suspected that once the surrounding corn and beans began to ripen way ahead of my plot, things would change. Now my plot is being hammered , especially the beans. I also planted some winter wheat and oats next to the corn and beans and that is just coming up. Will the deer switch to the wheat and oats now or wait till the beans start to turn in afew weeks? Any experience on this topic? Which would you target for opening day stands?

I suspect they will start to switch from beans to green feed (grains, clovers and alfalfa) and then key on the corn. Right now they have everything, but when fall harvest and fall plowing get underway, things change in a hurry.

If you have a funnel leading to your plots...that's where I would be!

[ QUOTE ]
Beans are a changin around here this week...the early planters anyways

[/ QUOTE ]

Corn is really drying down too! Crops might be off early and fall plowed by November.

Only thing left will be some little ole food plots...
cool.gif

when i hunted youth season, the best luck i had was in alfalfa fields. I think it also depends on the time of year with the weather and all. Once dad and i harvest the corn and beans thats when we really start to see the deer eating what they have left. Maybe i should of had a fall food plot. I will consider it next year though
smile.gif

Top Bottom