Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Too much land to hunt???

Never too many places to hunt. Different spot for a different day, wind, climate, etc...
With that said though, I would trade every single farm I hunt just to have a little piece (lets say...30acres) of land to call my own.

[ QUOTE ]
Never too many places to hunt. Different spot for a different day, wind, climate, etc...
With that said though, I would trade every single farm I hunt just to have a little piece (lets say...30acres) of land to call my own.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am with you there, that is the only way to ensure that your best hunting ground will be yours forever. I am fortunate enough to have some land in the family and know that some day this will probably be the only land that myself and my kids will be able to hunt without having to pay for it.

Kratz

I a agree, that should be a hunter's dream come true 30-50 acres well managed will produce hunting opportunities for a lifetime. I am originally from Monroe County Iowa. and I am here to tell you, that since I grew-up there things have changed dramatically, neighbors whose land I hunted for 2 decades have now been bought up by "management" companies and they are using that land to sell "guided" hunts to NR. Now I have no problem with anyone using their own land for whatever ethical purpose they see fit. But to say that land access is the same as it was 10-20-30 years ago is not true. It used to be all you had to do is ride in your truck in any S.E. Iowa county and stop at a farmers house and ask permission to hunt, pheasants, rabbits, deer, they didn't care. Now access like that is still there, but you have to work a lot harder to get it. Now to gain access, i am usually getting referrals to the land-owner from other hunters, or friends and family. I can't say however though that NR have eliminated all of my hunting opportunities, I still hunt public lands, and I take quite a few deer, maybe not big deer, but the fact is so true, that if you are willing to travel 1000 yards further from your truck than the average weekend hunter, you will still have better opportunities than most NR hunters. I am not a gun hunter so I can't speak for the shot-gun season. But Iowa is blessed with a LOT of public land to hunt. I grew-up hunting Rathbun area hunting grounds and I still hunt there. I switched to bowhunting so I could have longer season, and I usually have whatever patch of woods I pick to myself.

For those of you who are finding a hard time getting places to hunt. you can also try to access new opportunities in the "Urban" hunting zones throughout the states. Last year Urban zones yielded 9 does for me. And this year allowed me an extra buck tag for the early season starting in September. in one of the zones I hunt.

Top Bottom