Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

trail camera advice?

IndianGrass

Any one have advice on some good trail cameras for a first time user on a budget? I've hunted for years without them but have been thinking I'd like to give them a try on the land that I hunt. Any thoughts?

My personal preference are the Wildgame cameras with AA batteries- I havent had a single issue with them anda single set of batteries last a LONG time and at $69.99 on sale at fleet farm- hard to beat IMO I have quite a few of them

I use stealth cam p18 I got 2 Wildgames and they die super fast and don't take pics but maybe I got a bad one but the p18 last forever and took really good pics and you can get them from Rual king for 89 bucks and they also use AA's

Last edited:
Midwayusa, has Browning strike force on sale for 109.99. Check out the reviews, and features on these cams! They appear to be great quality and have some of the same features as cameras in alot higher price range. I've personally ran coverts in that price range the last couple of years and like them.

I use stealth cam p18 I got 2 Wildgames and they die super fast and don't take pics but maybe I got a bad one but the p18 last forever and took really good pics and you can get them from Rual king for 89 bucks and they also use AA's

Thats too bad- maybe I got lucky on mine? I have 10 of them and they all have done great- I use Wildgame Innovations Blade 8X Lightsout 8MP Trail Camera

Thats too bad- maybe I got lucky on mine? I have 10 of them and they all have done great- I use Wildgame Innovations Blade 8X Lightsout 8MP Trail Camera

Blah, bought two of those and returned them. They were AWFUL. Took about 1,500 pictures and they were dead.

I personally have coverts but have heard nothing but good things about Brownings. Lot of friends running them.

I have to agree with staying away from wildgames. Nothing but problems with them. Moultrie makes some good cameras for cheap that will last a few years and sometimes longer.. That being said I'm switching from moultrie to covert this year.

Buy what you can afford with the best ratings for that price and the rest is up to the trail camera Gods. I just picked up some Moultrie 880s at fleet farm for $99.

x10 on the Wildgames, junk cameras and even worse customer service.

Bushnell trophy cam's have been my go to reliable camera. Have one going on 4 years and still takes great pictures, has great battery life and I can trust leaving it out in the field for months on end.

I'd stick with a camera that takes AA's as well. Have yet to run across a camera that takes C's or D's that can outlast one that runs on AA's. Simple budget sheet will show that had you spent the extra money that camera would have payed for itself just off the money you saved buying batteries.

Got a browning for christmas ran it all winter on one set of batteries I love it. Great picture only problem is sometimes night pics a bit blurry

Haha wow- I will honestly consider myself lucky. Mine lasted all season through feb on same set of batteries.

Wildgame= terrible night pictures if there is ANY movement. Deer tend to move so that is a problem. I only run them where I know there is a threat of theft because they are so cheap.

Sidenote: I had two cams stolen this year, both off private. There is nothing more maddening. I think I read somewhere that the new coverts have GPS locating devices. I would love to be able to knock on a camera thief's door with the sheriff by my side. :)

I have mostly Bushnell Trophy cams... Most of them are junk. They have great battery life, but, several of them randomly keep resetting themselves to 1/1/2012 dates and everyonce in a while they'll just take thousands of pictures of nothing on a perfectly calm day/night and burn through an expensive set of lithium batteries in a couple days. I have checked them all for updates also. I got one of the Browning Strike Force cameras this fall and it had been really good up until February it started going through 6 lithiums in about 3000 pics. Did that twice in a row. I also have have two of the Trophycam 35's from Walmart and I have less problems with them than any other cam so far... Sad but true.

Clearly everyone has their own choices, good stories/bad stories. I myself run 20, yes 20 wildgame innovations cameras. They all get one set of batteries and last all year (unless I switch them to video). I have yet to have any issue with them. I do however stay away from ones from the local walmart etc. A friend had an issue with a camera (bought from the local fleet farm) and called them up, had him a new one before he got the other one shipped back..

If you're on a budget, I'd suggest not to buy the cheapest camera out there. Obviously cheap for a reason. go to trailcampro.com or chasinggame.com and do a little research. Make sure you go with a camera that takes AA's batteries and use lithiums.

I have tried and returned stealth cams, moultrie, even tried a Leaf River back a few years. Always ran cuddebacks. Early ones were great, middle years not so much. Have all new e2 models and they can take a blurry night pic sometimes. Daytime are great and easy on batteries. Would go with the new Cuddeback in a white strobe flash if I get another. Ir is overrated IMO. Customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

Browning strike force from trail cam pro. Have a dozen that I used last season. Very happy with them and excellent battery life. A great camera for the $.

Top Bottom