Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Transplants

JRadd33

Hi guys, new to the page and habitat work. My question is about transplanting cedar and spruce from one part of my property to more specific locations. Best timing? Best practices? Has anyone had luck with bare root conifers from state nurseries?

I have transplanted hundreds of cedars over about every season. At least a 95% success. I have purchased bare root cedars and had very poor results. Transplanting is the way to go IMO. I transplant when they are between 1-2' tall. They are a little stunted for the first year after transplant and then they start growing like crazy.

Can't speak to spruce.

Good Luck

Anytime the ground isn't frozen now until green up. Little cedars you can pull like weeds and transplant incredibly easy. I have done several hundred each of the last 5 years and I can legitimately say with 95%+ success. Cedars are HARDY, spruce and pine are a lot more weak wristed.

I have transplanted hundreds of cedars over about every season. At least a 95% success. I have purchased bare root cedars and had very poor results. Transplanting is the way to go IMO. I transplant when they are between 1-2' tall. They are a little stunted for the first year after transplant and then they start growing like crazy.

Can't speak to spruce.

Good Luck
Lucky, are you digging them up with a root ball or pulling them like a weed? I’ve heard both. What’s your favorite time of year?

Anytime the ground isn't frozen now until green up. Little cedars you can pull like weeds and transplant incredibly easy. I have done several hundred each of the last 5 years and I can legitimately say with 95%+ success. Cedars are HARDY, spruce and pine are a lot more weak wristed.
Good data. Thank you!

I dig them up with a rootball. Early spring or Fall is probably best for me but like Snail said they are very Hardy. Doing them bare root would probably make the job a lot easier but I haven't tried that.

Here is a pic of what I dig up

ceder transplant.jpg

There are a couple weeks in late Feb/early March where the ground is perfect and you can pull them like a weed. I shake the dirt off, that way I can pack a bunch in a bucket to wherever I'm taking them. Typically fine for a day or two that way, otherwise run some water in the bucket, they'll be fine. Those little Cedars are MEAN.

Some get a big taproot when they get around 3.5/4ft and then you can spade them out quick with a shovel like Lucky13 above. Here are a few old pics I have. Wish I had more but you get the idea.

I go around and ask some horse farm/lot's of fenced places around me where little volunteer ones will start under the fences from the birds. Everyone I've asked is STOKED when you ask. Cleans up their fences and saves them long term work. You'll be amazed at all the accessible places there are unwanted cedars once you start looking for them!

Attachments

• IMG_3622.jpg
    IMG_3622.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_3565.jpg
    IMG_3565.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 69
  • 66907916269__2EE1963B-F156-474B-A54C-B577FEB54540.jpg
    66907916269__2EE1963B-F156-474B-A54C-B577FEB54540.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_3556.jpg
    IMG_3556.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
There are a couple weeks in late Feb/early March where the ground is perfect and you can pull them like a weed. I shake the dirt off, that way I can pack a bunch in a bucket to wherever I'm taking them. Typically fine for a day or two that way, otherwise run some water in the bucket, they'll be fine. Those little Cedars are MEAN.

Some get a big taproot when they get around 3.5/4ft and then you can spade them out quick with a shovel like Lucky13 above. Here are a few old pics I have. Wish I had more but you get the idea.

I go around and ask some horse farm/lot's of fenced places around me where little volunteer ones will start under the fences from the birds. Everyone I've asked is STOKED when you ask. Cleans up their fences and saves them long term work. You'll be amazed at all the accessible places there are unwanted cedars once you start looking for them!
Really good stuff, Snail! Thank you!

When planting cedars for a screen how far apart do you guys recommend planting them? Also is there a need to protect them if planting bare root trees from a nursery?

When planting cedars for a screen how far apart do you guys recommend planting them? Also is there a need to protect them if planting bare root trees from a nursery?
Last year I planted 500 cedar plugs end of March to beginning of April. I had something dig a bunch of them back up. Not sure if it was squirrels or coons. Didnt look like the did anything to them other than pull them out of the ground.

Bare root cedar plugs are quick and easy to plant with a Dibble bar, but like said, their survival rate isn't as high as digging up and transplanting with rootball. The ones that make it don't grow as quickly either, at least not in the first few seasons. They may do better if you mow or mulch around them, but i don't have time for that.

Snail, I've never transplanted without root ball. Are the size you a pulling out and transplanting without root ball say knee height and smaller? I normally transplant waist height with small root ball but would like to try your method of pulling them out and transplanting.
What would you guess your success rate is on those?

Snail, I've never transplanted without root ball. Are the size you a pulling out and transplanting without root ball say knee height and smaller? I normally transplant waist height with small root ball but would like to try your method of pulling them out and transplanting.
What would you guess your success rate is on those?
When the ground is right I have pulled them all the way up to belly button high, but I'd say anything waist and lower shouldn't be a problem. All depends if the ground is soft enough or not. Now, through mid/end March (N IL) is typically prime time. No exaggeration when I say I've had nearly 95% success/survival rate.

Top Bottom