Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Trapping 2023-2024

My main goal this year was to trap this guy. 3 days in and checked off the list.

5d6c743ebb200af9d0959117d2efa183.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You gonna tan that? Super cool.

This guy's been around for the last year. This morning was the first time I've seen him in our yard though. Would you try to catch it or just enjoy it being around?

View attachment 126320
Haven't trapped seriously for a couple of years, but if I were would still have a hard time convincing myself to target that one. Have a soft spot for fox and that's a pretty one to keep around and enjoy watching.

2ca50d249838d52a75c8500bafef7f41.jpg

Pulled some cards yesterday and saw this guy. Is he shedding out his dark winter coat?

Last year was my first year snaring. I was after coyotes specifically. A well seasoned trapper gave me the advice I used. He said after a good snow storm, the next day or two, walk the property one is going to trap and locate spots that the coyotes walked that one can set a snare 12" off the ground, with a 12" loop, Make sure to anchor it high up so its a quick kill. I started snaring in Feb and quit in March. I snared 10 coyotes. I set some lower ones and caught several coons too. This was on 130 acres. Based on cams I have a target rich environment again. My fawn recruitment was quite noticeably higher this year. I attribute that to dead coyotes. I know I still had predation as I caught one on cam carrying a fawn. This will be an annual endeavor as I don't think one can ever eradicate them, nor would I want to.

Current numbers off the place near home:
8 coyotes
4 raccoons
3 skunks
3 otters
2 beavers
1 opossum
1 badger

Did a small run on a farm last week and we caught around 20 raccoons, 1 coyote, 3 opossum, 1 skunk, and a bobcat. Couldn’t ask for better weather to trap this year.

8 coyotes
4 raccoons
3 skunks
3 otters
2 beavers
1 opossum
1 badger

Did a small run on a farm last week and we caught around 20 raccoons, 1 coyote, 3 opossum, 1 skunk, and a bobcat. Couldn’t ask for better weather to trap this year.
Can a guy hire a person to trap coyotes I live in south central iowa lovilia area ?
8 coyotes
4 raccoons
3 skunks
3 otters
2 beavers
1 opossum
1 badger

Last year was my first year snaring. I was after coyotes specifically. A well seasoned trapper gave me the advice I used. He said after a good snow storm, the next day or two, walk the property one is going to trap and locate spots that the coyotes walked that one can set a snare 12" off the ground, with a 12" loop, Make sure to anchor it high up so its a quick kill. I started snaring in Feb and quit in March. I snared 10 coyotes. I set some lower ones and caught several coons too. This was on 130 acres. Based on cams I have a target rich environment again. My fawn recruitment was quite noticeably higher this year. I attribute that to dead coyotes. I know I still had predation as I caught one on cam carrying a fawn. This will be an annual endeavor as I don't think one can ever eradicate them, nor would I want to.
For hard-core deer managers or guys who simply want quality hunting, so critical. I love hearing this. It’s same thing as the guys who are killing the raccoons & possum and seeing tons more birds. 99% of average Joe’s have no clue what lack of trapping has done to coyote populations. Or coons, etc. “Epidemic” levels.
Couple myths I’ve looked into… “killing coyotes creates more coyotes”…. I read through that data…. It would take years for this to happen. Recalling some coyote population studies, About 80% of coyotes anyone traps or kills are “local” & 20% are “transients” (loose recollection here). If folks stay on “steady killing” u absolutely can reduce the populations.
Coyote populations in iowa are not like they were 25 years ago- there’s WAY MORE!!!! People say coyotes are “natural” & to some extent - clearly we can agree to that. But in some regions, their #’s have exploded & gone unchecked for a decade. A bit of trapping, some predator hunting but not enough to keep the #’s in check. In areas hit by EHD or aggressive doe killing- when the coyotes fill in, guys can quit shooting does & the population will stay low as the coyotes kill off any chance of an increase.
Anyways - sorry on the rant. These photos bring me joy and happiness!! ;) :). Keep em coming!!!

Great year Curtis, love it! Don't have the variety of furbearers you have but miss trapping. I plan on targeting mink starting tomorrow, seems to be a lot around. Tried yotes last year and struck out.

Great year Curtis, love it! Don't have the variety of furbearers you have but miss trapping. I plan on targeting mink starting tomorrow, seems to be a lot around. Tried yotes last year and struck out.
Looking for a person to trap coyotes here in southern Iowa lovilia area will pay some.

Top Bottom