Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tree fertilizer

KSQ2

PMA Member
Is it worth the effort to fertilize mature oaks? I read on the fertilizer spikes packaging that you are to use three spikes for each inch of diameter of the tree trunk, two feet above ground. Good grief, I'd spend a couple hundred bucks per tree at that rate! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif Any advice out there?

Something like 13-13-13. You buy big bags (50 lbs), $10 a bag. Those spikes are for little trees you just planted, not mature trees. I won't put my input YEAH or NEAH on whether it's worth it because I don't know on mature oaks. Good luck!

I have read several places that fert, like triple 12 helps mature oaks, Never tried it myself, but it couldn't hurt. Try it!

Here is something to think about. Nitrogen plays the biggest role with vegetative growth i.e. leaves and shoots, Potassium's major role is with root development, and Phosphorous has the largest effect on flowering which in turn would result in fruit/nut production(this is not specific towards oaks, but relates to all plants/trees). If you have a selection of fertilizers to use I would go with low on N and high in P and K if you are looking for increased acorn production. In reality though acorn production is more closely related to crown size and environmental condidions when compared to any other factor. If you can reduce some competition for light and space you will get more benefit compared to applying fert. Here is a good article on increasing acorn production
http://www.whitetailstewards.com/articlesonsite/mainarticlepages/deerhabitatmanagementarticles.htm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you can reduce some competition for light and space you will get more benefit compared to applying fert </div></div>

That's where TSI comes in and I suspect that would increase acorn production more then fertilizer also.

They say it will make acorns sweeter but I tried one...yechhh /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I guess one would have to fertilize one and not the other and be able to observe deer activity, but generally they seem to devour all the acorns regardless.

When I have tried it i used triple 19 and used a spade in a circle around the drip line. I just poured the fertilizer in the holes and covered.

It didn't cause the oak to "rain" acorns or anything...I did have a sore back from lugging fertlizer though... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Thanks fellas, Kurtish those were some very informative articles. Unfortunately, it's not my land, so I'm a little limited on what I can do. The soil is pretty poor (shallow and rocky), so thought perhaps a "jump start" this year might do some good, I'm beginning to see that is easier said than done. The area is mostly blackjack and post oak, with some white oaks in some of the lower areas. I was going to focus on some of these white oaks. If we have a good year, and don't get a late frost like last year, I 'magine the whites and posts will produce pretty well.

Top Bottom