Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tree Planting

Old carpet does work for this also. We had used a light colored carpet which also makes small seedlings like oaks really easy to see.
11gd.jpg
10dh.jpg
09ht.jpg
09ax.jpg
09jh.jpg
09bh.jpg

Last edited:
I read this topic and want to say that am very found of agriculture and I've been really thinking of starting a tree planting organization in my town.
We don't actually have one here, and we really need one.
I'm a big fan of the environment, but as I'm only young, does anyone have any ideas of how i could start one, or get one going???????????

I read this topic and want to say that am very found of agriculture and I've been really thinking of starting a tree planting organization in my town.
I'm a big fan of the environment, but as I'm only young, does anyone have any ideas of how i could start one, or get one going???????????

You might contact the The Arbor Day organization and ask them if there is a similar organization in Canada or ask for ideas on how you can get something started in your area. The idea originated in Nebraska and spread nationwide.

Arbor Day

Canada

In Canada, Maple Leaf Day falls on the last Wednesday in September during National Forest Week. Ontario celebrates Arbor Week from the last Friday in April to the first Sunday in May. Nova Scotia celebrates Arbour Day on the Thursday during National Forest Week, which is the first full week in May. Prince Edward Island celebrates Arbour Day on the 3rd Friday in May during Arbour Week
Good luck with your tree plantings! :way:

My wife does this kind of thing for a company called Trees Forever. Let me know if your interested, she can get you set up.

I am thinking of planting a 100-200 norway spruce on my property for thermal cover and additional bedding. Is it necessary to use tree tubes with spruces? How far should they be apart? Due to the apple trees on the property I do not want to plant red cedar and norway spruce grow pretty fast for a conifer.

Dbltree,
In using cedars as a two row screen, what is the spacing and row width that you are using? Hope to add a few new plantings again this year. Thanks again for all the help!

Dbltree,
In using cedars as a two row screen, what is the spacing and row width that you are using? Hope to add a few new plantings again this year. Thanks again for all the help!

For a screen I use 2 rows 8' feet apart with trees planted 4' apart in each row. If possible stagger the trees in the second row to fill spaces from the first, once mature it won't matter but while growing it certainly will e to your benefit.

Many previously listed sources for red cedars will not be carrying them this year but Chief River Nursery will be

6-12" red cedar seedlings

12-18" red cedar transplants

If you have wild cedars in your area, and are game for it, one can dig them up and transplant them with very good success. Red cedars make awesome bedding and screening trees and even more so when combined with some shrub plantings....:way:

What shrubs would you choose if you where creating a beading area with cedars and oaks..

I am planting some Norway Spruce and Chestnuts this spring along with planting RR soybeans. The vast majority of the soybeans will be harvested. What herbicide combination would you recommend?
I was thinking Glyphosate 41% and Oust Xp (Spyder) in early April on the field and area where the trees will be planted.

The farm I recently purchased was put into a buffer riparian program in 2001. The program called for White oak, Red oak, Bur oak, Green Ash, White ash and Black Walnut.(4500 of each) The Black walnut were a total loss..The Green and White Ash are developing extremly slow. The bur are getting murdered by the bucks. The red oak are doing good and the White oak are kicking butt. :D

What can I do at this point to increase growth in the trees. I was thinking about pruning them this winter and spraying around the smaller ones in early April:rolleyes:

Yes gly and Oust would work but simazine and Prowl might give you more season long control. I use Oust for initial control of grasses but it's not always effective against weeds like pigweed.

Control weeds/grasses in your other trees to help growth, normally pruning is not recommended except on walnuts. Tubes are the best bet to encourage growth and protect trees if you can get any put on them....;)

Tree tubes

Dbletree, what do you think of tree tubes or shelters? Are they worth the money? I haven't made it through all the posts on this forum, maybe you have already mentioned them. thanks

Dbletree, what do you think of tree tubes or shelters? Are they worth the money? I haven't made it through all the posts on this forum, maybe you have already mentioned them. thanks

For oaks, chestnuts and walnuts, 5' tree tubes are the only way to go! Plant fewer trees, tube and stake them and you'll be rewarded with faster growth and little or no damage to the trees from bucks in the fall.

I prefer Miracle tubes and 1/2 conduit cut in 5' lengths have been the best combo I have found :way:

Top Bottom