Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tree Tubes:

loneranger

Thinking of getting some chinquapin oaks. Where is a good place, and what is a good brand of tree tubes? Some I see are more than just plastic tubes. Some let the light in some do not. Some are well vented some are not. What is vented enough mean,,how many holes?

Get in on the seed swapping that goes on every fall on the QDMA website and you can get a bunch free that way. I got several varieties that way last fall including some chinkapin and dwarf chinkapin oaks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: loneranger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thinking of getting some chinquapin oaks. Where is a good place, and what is a good brand of tree tubes? Some I see are more than just plastic tubes. Some let the light in some do not. Some are well vented some are not. What is vented enough mean,,how many holes? </div></div>

I have links, discussion and example in the tree planting thread for both tubes and sources for Dwarf Chinkapin Oak

Tree Planting

Dwarf Chinkapin Oak source and info

All about tree tubes

I get my chinqs from Advantage Forestry in Ala. I have also gotten crabs and plums and they have all done great.

I use Tree Protection Supply for tree tubes. They seem to want to make sure you get the right tube and not just a specific tube. They also have the lowest prices too. They carry plantra and tubex tubes

The venting works in the north by helping the trees harden off for the winter and in the south by preventing excessive moisture from building up. It also helps with alot of other stuff I read about on their blog.

Last edited:
I eventually got some dwarf Chinquapins. Some from a nursery in the south,,some from one to the north. Not sure if it was the Nursery, or the location,,but the ones from the north did much better. Oikos,,in Mi.

Top Bottom