Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tremendous 3 Year Old

THA4

A Few Steps Ahead Of You
Well, thank God the Hog didn't show back up..... or maybe I already took care of the problem.... :grin:

But, I got a nice surprise when this guy showed up.

I got a few pix of him last year and was very impressed with how he looked, due to all the junk he had I called him "Pointer", but kinda decided that was a lame nickname, and upon Ryan's (Shoot2Kill) recommendation, I renamed him Hawg after the pig that ate all my corn...

After looking at these pix over and over last year, I really thought he could be a 2.5'r, but its just flat hard to gauge accurate age in August, I surely don't know 100%.

Here is "Hawg" during August of 2010 (I'm showing a few of different angles to show off his body hoping to make it easier to guess his age.)

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Here he is during November, I passed him a day before this picture, and a week or so later. he busted a lot of his trash off showing that he was a fighter. His body in this pic made me think 3, but I'm still pretty sure he was 2 in '10

picture.php

picture.php

Here he his this year, lots more junk and impressive. He looks good, but I'd be surprised if he hit 150. Its August and its way too hard to tell his age accurately at this point, but I'm still leaning towards 3 this year.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

So, let's hear some estimates.

I hunt in a place where he doesn't stand a very good chance of making it through shotgun season. But, I know if shoot him he certainly WON'T make it... but, if he bulks up and manages to not break the hell out of his rack like he did last year, I can't make any promises at this point.

Its too early to make the decision on pulling the trigger, but if I knew he'd make it through, I'd pass him... Plus, there are a few other bucks out there that are bigger and older that I would love to hammer.... We'll see!
:way:

Last edited:
He looks like a 3 year old to me Thomas, shooting him is up to you. If he crosses paths with you and the moment is right then by all means whack city. Not everyone can let them go and know that they will live to grow another year. I take that risk every year and I am hoping and waiting to confirm of one that I know of from last year.

Man, I'm no expert buddy, but I'd lean towards 4.5 this year with the junk, mass and belly from last year. I think 3.5 last year but its a coin toss. That body last year looks like a little army tank :)

If you like him then take him :)

Regardless of age, if you like him and get a chance kill him. If there are others out there you would rather shoot then I wouldn't unless it was first week of Jan.

if you'd be happy with him....let the air outta him! No matter who you talk to or how many you talk to, some will say you should shoot him, others will say pass...but if he makes you happy then thats all that should matter.

Man, I'm no expert buddy, but I'd lean towards 4.5 this year with the junk, mass and belly from last year. I think 3.5 last year but its a coin toss. That body last year looks like a little army tank :)

If you like him then take him :)

These are my thoughts exactly, but I am only guessing too.

Better shoot him, cause he's gonna be a fine look'n deer and there's probably a guy on the adjacent timber like me who would let the air out of him in a heart beat.:)

My opinion is he's older than you think. Bucks don't typically start adding the "junk" or extra points till they get a little older. With the saggin belly, swayed back, good mass and "junk" I'm gonna say he's 5.5 or possibly even older. Then again, I've had 3 or 4 beers and I've been wrong once before! :drink1:

My opinion is he's older than you think. Bucks don't typically start adding the "junk" or extra points till they get a little older. With the saggin belly, swayed back, good mass and "junk" I'm gonna say he's 5.5 or possibly even older. Then again, I've had 3 or 4 beers and I've been wrong once before! :drink1:

I tend to think that way too...but then again I'm partaking as well:drink1:.

I too believe he is older than you believe. Id guess that at last yr he was At Least a 3 yr old and thus, making his At Least a 4 yr old this year.

Never know what you will think once that velvet is off of him! That could help the decision making. I know I would be shooting! :way:

Tough call, but like said ,he did make it last year when he was younger and dumber.Bucks like that are rare so if you have better bucks to hunt I would let him go and take your chances. Every great buck we have shot here, we had to pass many times the years before.

Never know what you will think once that velvet is off of him! That could help the decision making. :way:

ya, my thoughts exactly. Last year after I saw him without velvet he was MUCH smaller. If this deer is on the older spectrum, he is absolutely no older than 4.5. I hope I can continue to get more pix of him to get a better idea....

Thanks for the thoughts guys, keep em comin'!

:drink2:

I have to agree he looks like a 4yr old not a 3 or 5yr old. Great lookin' Deer none the less! I'd take him if I had the chance. But then again that's me. Like everyone else is sayin' if you have a better Buck aim for him right now. I'd love to see what he'd look like in 2-3 years though!

Top Bottom