Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tresspassing issue

180class

Here's the deal. I own a small piece of timber, that butts up to my neighbors back corn field. I went out last night to look around and I found that somebody has hung a stand about 5 feet on my side of the fence, but it is clearly for hunting my neighbors field. The guy isn't really hurting anything, but it is on my property, and he doesn't have permission. To the rest of you propery owners, would you be upset about this and confront whoever hung the stand, or contact the other land owner and tell them to take it down? Like I said, I'm a pretty easy going guy, and I really don't want to make this guy take his stand down so close to season. Keep in mind, that this stand is clearly for the sole purpose of hunting my neighbors field, and will have no effect on my property. What would you do?
confused.gif

This becomes a matter of principal to me. If he would have asked I'm sure you probably would have said yes judging on your post. But he didnt. If everyone just assumed it would be ok to hang a stand anywhere they wanted it would get pretty ugly in the woods!! I'd confront the owner of the stand and tell him to remove it and tell him next time he needs to ask permission. Thats my opinion.

I agree with BUCK10. He didn't ask. If he would have, it would have been different.

HunterMan
157RAtinybuck-thumb[1].gif

I would go tell the neighbor about it and ask him to call the guy to come and take it down. I would agree that it is a matter of principal. Possibly it was just a mistake. Then everything will be okay once the stand is gone. If the guy is willing to put a stand on your property on purpose, who knows what else he might do. I would want him out of there if it were me.

Let us know how it turns out.

I know I'd be upset, but I'd be upset because he didn' ask first. Had he asked you before he put it up would you have let him put the stand there? If "yes" then contact the land owner (corn field) to see if you can find out whoes stand it is. Contact the hunter, ask whats up and why he didn't ask permission first, if he gives you a hard time and is an a$$, tell him you will leave his stand on the other side of the fence and don't bother coming back on your land. If he is a nice guy about it, tell him he can hunt this year but he needs to ask again before next year. If he doesn't ask next year, the stand is yours. If you wouldn't have let him put the stand up, take it down call him and tell him he can find it on the other side of the fence.

Getting angry and pissed can only escalate a situation. Find out who and what the circumstances are, get your info, then act. Who knows, you may make a firend and gain access to some ground he hunts. Or he is a total jerk and you are better off setting limits NOW.

The 'Bonker

If he would have asked, I would have been fine with it. I know it's not an honest mistake, because the two property are clearly marked with a fence, which is about 5 feet in front of the tree he's in. After looking around, I see why he hung it there. It was from lack of options. That is the only tree in the area that he could have hung the stand in. The rest of the trees in the area are fairly small and would not work or be saft to put a stand in.

Take it down and leave a note telling him what's up and leave your phone number. I have been in this same situation before and it will progressivly get worse. Years ago I had a guy start out hunting a piece of ground almost identical to what you are describing on a piece of property I had permission on. I never said anything until the next year when it changed to two of them and more stands added along the field and farther into the timber area. I took down the farthest in stand and left a nice note for them. They never contacted me but all there stands were gone after that.

I sure think you need to contact him or the situation could get worse. 5 feet or 50 feet...still doesn't make it right.
Who knows it may be a young hunter and you may let him/her continue or it might be a real idiot and want them out of there.

How are you going to feel when they come "tracking" a deer by your stand some day?
crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Fishbonker's the voice of reason???? Sheesh, what's the world coming to?
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

WHAT THE F... "VOICE OF REASON?"

Which one of you limp-wristed bunny huggin fellow-man-resepctin liberal pinko commie ninnie nincompoop proletrariate bohlshevic bastards stole my password?

The 'Bonker

If its a hang on stand, take his climbing pegs or sticks down but leave the stand. Make them work a little to get it back. If they don't remove it and keep putting up sticks/pegs, just keep taking the pegs or sticks. They'll get the point eventually.

In all honestly, I would just right a note on the tree, make sure there is no way it can blow off and simply tell him, he is on the wrong ground and if he wants to continuing hunting there to come talk to you. If he does not contact you and you can tell he is hunting the stand by mud on the pegs etc, then simply take it down and leave it on the other side of the fence. If the problem still persists, go talk to the landowner.
smile.gif

We get this kind of stuff all the time. I would probably take the stand down, put it on the other side of the fence, and leave a note saying that if you want to hunt this property to get permission first. I wouldn't give him permission this year just because he set up his stand on your ground without asking. There is nothing worse for a landowner than to be confronted by another landowner complaining about someone they let hunt on their property. That would surely put an end to his hunting on the property that he may or may not have permission to be on.

I think if it was me and I really didn't mind except that he didn't ask permission, I would leave a note with my number saying something like " If y ou want to hunt this stand, call me at xxx-xxxx. You have until xx/xx/xxxx. " You may have to give them until after the first week of season, but then if I didn't hear anything I would take the stand down and leave it across the fence. If it came back after that with no call, it would go home with me and the same note would be left. If I was hunting the ground myself I would probably just take it down and leave it on the other side of the fence with a note saying " Ask permission next time!"

Top Bottom