Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Turkey numbers

Im sure some of you guys have notice.. Iv turkey hunted in davis and van buren countys for close to ten years... 5 to 10 years ago the numbers were awsome.. you didnt know which way to go in the mornings there were so many gobbles.. in the last 3 years iv noticed numbers declining rapidly.. now it seems like you hear two birds and they may not even be on your farm! What do you guys think? Wet springs? tough winters? bobcats? I find maybe 4 to 5 carcases a year? usually just bones and feathers. Sorry for writing a book.. Thanks guys

I spoke with the IA wildlife biologist (NWTF DNR guy) last fall- it's the wet cold springs. The chicks can't keep themselves warm enough and they die from the rain and cold weather. They need warm/dryer springs to do as good as possible. I've also read some things that say if there's an extreme amount of rain (the last 3 years all qualify) that there food can get too much mold or something like that, it ends up being toxic (can't remember exact specifics there).

Ive noticed the same thing. I quit going down there every year. The locals down there have some wierd named disease that they claim are killing them. Who knows what is going on. I too find dead carcasses around.

I hunt clarke, decauter, union, and ringglod counties and I to have noticed te numbers going down. IMO I think the yotes and bocats are doing a number on them along with the wet springs. On my land in Clarke there use to be say around 50-75 birds now you would be lucky to find 10.

Is anyone else noticing this and what part of the state do you hunt? I use to hunt the Iowa River Greenbelt by Iowa Falls and there is not enough birds around there to even go after. Back 10-15 years ago it was full of them but now if you hear a bird you can go after it is a good day! I just go to other states to hunt now.

I've only noticed a decrease on one of the farms I hunt, which happens to be our family farm. All of the other farms I hunt, which are on pretty high ground, I'm seeing steady numbers year to year. On my father in law's farm the population is actually a lot better than it was a few years ago.

I'm thinking back to the banning mineral and feed piles thread and I think there is a pretty deadly disease that turkeys can get when they're concentrated and spreads easily, could be the reason the population in southern Iowa isn't what it used to be especially if the numbers were crazy high to begin with.

Note - The OP(TDSwitchback) and I are next door neighbors, so our observations are basically identical in terms of the number, or lack thereof, of turkeys in our area over the past few years.

I am sure that the very heavy spring/summer rains that we have had over the past several years has negatively impacted nesting success. BUT, I know from my own observations that this is not the only thing going on.

We have, and our neighbors have too, found multiple adult turkey carcasses over the past few years. These finds are not limited to one season of the year either, we have found them in all seasons. Clearly, a wet nesting season cannot be killing adult turks throughout the whole year though, so wet springs in and of itself cannot be the only factor in my mind.

I have also found, without looking too hard I might add, multiple destroyed nests in the past several years. Coons, possums and skunks are very prevalent and all will wreck a nest right quick. We are trying to get these populations in check, but it seems almost like a futile effort.

Our coyote population is average and I personally suspect that coyotes are NOT what is throttling the population as through over two decades of turkey hunting I have had great turkey hunting on various farms with strong coyote populations also. I am not saying that a coyote won't kill a turkey, I just don't think they are geared to get enough of them though to noticeably reduce the turkey population.

I do suspect that bobcats DO kill adult turkeys and may be a sizable factor in limiting turkey populations. I wonder about the disease angle too, but I don't have any facts in that area. Given that we have found multiple adult carcasses, all cleaned to the bone I might add, over the past few years...maybe some disease is getting them and THEN something is eating them.

I am very curious if anyone has any real understanding of the potential disease angle.

I'm thinking back to the banning mineral and feed piles thread and I think there is a pretty deadly disease that turkeys can get when they're concentrated and spreads easily,

Birds flock up in the winter???? Just like deer. I seen a flock of 70 or more awhile back in open picked fields.

I think it has been the cold wet springs. Last couple years I haven't seen many jakes. I don't think the survival rate of the last few hatches have been very high.

Birds flock up in the winter???? Just like deer. I seen a flock of 70 or more awhile back in open picked fields.

I think it has been the cold wet springs. Last couple years I haven't seen many jakes. I don't think the survival rate of the last few hatches have been very high.

I agree, wet springs are the biggest problem. No doubt predators and nest raiders are a problem, but wet springs are the major issue.

I agree, wet springs are the biggest problem. No doubt predators and nest raiders are a problem, but wet springs are the major issue.

I am not trying to be argumentative, but I would be curious to get other people's perspective on what explains the dead adult turkeys that we have been finding over the past few years. I acknowledge the wet springs, but a dead adult turkey is not caused by that.

I am not trying to be argumentative, but I would be curious to get other people's perspective on what explains the dead adult turkeys that we have been finding over the past few years. I acknowledge the wet springs, but a dead adult turkey is not caused by that.

I agree. I'm guessing they were there 10 years ago as well. I'm guessing most people spend more time walking around their farms now then they did 10 years ago....shed hunting, food plots, etc. Bobcats have probably increased the number of predator kills, but I don't think enough to significantly impact populations.

I know during the bobcat study they tested stomach contents of cats that were turned in. There wasn't a large number of turkey feathers found in the stomachs but during the time of year when they are turned in the birds are fairly old and can fly. Right after hatching turkey poults are more vulnerable to predation in general. So time of year might be the reason for turkeys not showing up in the stomach contents as often as rabbits, squirrels and other rodents. But I'd have to say I would lean more towards loses of nest because of weather as being the number one reason, with other nest predators coming in second. Loosing one adult bird here and there shouldn't have too big of affect on the overall numbers but loosing complete nest (6-10) birds at one time on a widespread scale would have a great effect on the over population.

Last edited:
On the farm l have in clarke county I have seen three diffrent bobcats and numerous totes. Im not saying there getting the adult birds but the poults. Also three isn't the number of coin hunters as there use to be which is not a help to nesting. I think all this plays into it. As far as finding adult birds dead I havnt found any but the last three years haven't been around as much. I know around the waterloo area where my parents live there are birds there when growing up we never even knew what was.

Great horned owls are hard on turkeys. They are capable of taking an adult turkey right off the roost. I am sure bobcats take an occasional bird, but I really dont think they are making a large impact on the turkey population. I think the spring weather has been the primary factor. I have seen VERY few broods in the last three years.

Make a coon hide go back up to 15-20 bucks a piece, and I would be willing to bet turkey numbers would rise as well.

:way:

Make a coon hide go back up to 15-20 bucks a piece, and I would be willing to bet turkey numbers would rise as well.

:way:

Bingo. Coons, opposums, and skunks are hard on anything that lays eggs including pheasants, ducks, geese, etc. When I was a kid back in the 80's you never saw road kill coon because as soon as one got hit the first person by would pick it up and skin it and make a quick $20-$25 bucks.

I averaged $16.50 on the 39 coon I sold this year so I don't think that is the problem. We have very few or no bobcats in our area and still have no turkeys. I think it all goes back to the weather and nesting cover.

I quit turkey hunting about 5 years ago, they are around and in the winter they group up on our farm into a flock of 100+. This farm has always been extremely dense for turkeys though. But it has been going down no doubt the past few years...

Yote population has increased and bobcats have settled in in the past few years as well.

All we can do is keep improving the habitat, more food, cover, and nesting. Control the predators too

I remember when there was the theory going around that they drowned in a downpour because they looked up and took in a bunch of water. :D

Top Bottom