Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Two Part Tags

a few thoughts....
-it will require a better response on the animal registration. which is a good thing.
-it will help the IDNR in keeping hunters accountable.
-but it looks like more work/organization for the hunters, so

we will see how it goes....
im in support and dont have a problem with it.

I looked at mine when I bought them and I didn't see any perforations/seperations of any kind. Mine looked totally one piece. I'll have to look again.

The 'Bonker

were you talkin to the beer fairy again
grin.gif

i'll have to see how they treat me this season before i make a judgement...but i do like that fact that more of the deer should get reported

Like it or not it is the law
and we must follow the procedures. It does
seem like a lot of work..
However, they may be able to keep better
tabs on counts.

More work???

What is the big deal?

Not much different than before. It's a great idea.

Last year you put on the whole tag and then had to write down the number and call it in, then write down your confirmation number on the tag while it was on the deer.

This will make it a lot easier to call in and record your confirmation number and then attach the tag.

Seems like a step in the right direction to me.
waytogo.gif

I think the new tag system is a great idea. Much better than last season. There should be more compliance with harvest reporting and less chance for abuse.

Coming from WI, I'm used to it. I always wondered how they kept the unethical people from shooting multiple deer here.

I agree with Ghost. Trying to write the reporting number on the tag which was already applied to the deer was a pain in the keister.

If this helps them track the deer count then I am all for it. It doesn't seem like to much of a hassle for the hunter.

I don't care for the "must be readable" part of the instructions. Have they improved the ink on the new tags?

I looked at my tags and they indeed are one piece. There are slight differences in apperance between the tags on the DNR web site and the ones I got.

I hate to waste a CO's time with a silly question like this, but I don't wanna have a hassle by using new tag with the old style. I'll have to see what I get when I buy more doe tags.

The 'Bonker

Bonk,
Rest easy. The first year the ELISA system was rolled out, I was talking to a DNR guy, telling him how many tags I'd bought for an upcoming season. He said, "You can't buy that many!". I said I did and showed them to him. He shrugged and said that they were valid. He said it must have been a glitch in the new software that let me buy so many tags. He went on to say that even if the season dates were misprinted on the license, they will be good during those days.

In your case, I think you are good to go.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't care for the "must be readable" part of the instructions. Have they improved the ink on the new tags?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you there! I carried a couple of tags in my billfold then noticed they were wearing pretty badly. I wrote on them with a sharpie so I wouldn't mistake the faded letters for the wrong sex/season.

Ok, it's an improvement over the old system, but honestly, iowa's system of reporting is pretty crappy. you can't get accurate counts with this system. i know of too many people who cheat the system, dont report deer, etc because the DNR isnt there for enforcement. What's wrong with just copying Wisconsina and make it mandatory registration at check stations?

[ QUOTE ]
What's wrong with just copying Wisconsina and make it mandatory registration at check stations?

[/ QUOTE ]

When I checked my deer in Wisc. in '91 (and when I hunted in Minn., maybe check in has changed since then), the person at the gas station never came out to look at the deer. What good is that?

The last thing I want to do after a long day in the field is drive 20-30 miles to check in my deer. As a law abiding sportsman, I'd do it. Those who break the law wouldn't bother. So again, what good is it?

Top Bottom