Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

was the rut early?

I think the ruts on!! But just arent seeing the movement like were used to because of the warm weather. I have seen 2 of the biggest bucks I have seen this year laying in middle of bean fields with a doe near by. 73degrees out. Its goofy because of the weather but when a doe is hot shes hot. It doesnt take cold weather to make them breed or Texas bucks would never get any action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IowaBow</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> only takes 30 to 60 seconds for a day of nothing to turn into a great outcome.</div></div>

No kidding. I saw absloutely nothing this morning and was just about to lower my bow when a shooter came walking in from behind. It was a slam dunk shot but my decoy spooked him and he took off!!

I think it is hitting hard as we speak, I watched a big buck tending a doe in a old Railroad track. Then I drove out around my hunting spot during my lunch break and saw 2 big boys 150's-160's nose down in the timber. I would say its on. I think they are just hitting at different times this year. It's still early guys and gals, remember it only takes that one shooter buck to fill that tag! Im on vacation through the 17th of Nov. so I will keep you all posted on whats going on in my area.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I think what we've seen is the perfect storm combo of standing corn and record warm temps.</div></div>

The are starting to rut here as we have seen a few good buck with does.

Best is yet to come I think. Seems to be mimicking my 2005 season though.

Yesterday morning I went to move a stand about 10 am and there were 6 bucks chasing one doe in the bottom I was moving it to. then yesterday afternoon my hunting partner had 15 bucks come by him in the middle of a huge block of timber. He had a hot doe around him for most of the afternoon and there was a group of 8 bucks that constantly kept nudging her, the biggest one was an easy 160. Tonight I had a 155+ inch 10 point follow a doe right past me. I believe he is only a 3.5 year old so he got to keep on walking. So I think the first of the does may be coming in....But it is hit or miss...

The rut hasn't changed...never does IMO, deer breed the same time every year. What changes are all the other factors especially the weather.

Warm weather had deer moving at night but that's changing now.

Dress warm and stay as long as you can...they're moving now, even in the wind.

If you only had 2 weeks out of a year to "get a date"...would you put it off cause it was too warm, to windy, too rainy.... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

dbltree said:
The rut hasn't changed...never does IMO, deer breed the same time every year. What changes are all the other factors especially the weather.

The rut does not happen at the same time every year. I have watched my deer in my pen for several years. I have kept accurate notes and every year changes. Cold weather, warm weather wind does not matter. It all depends on the length of the day.

After sitting all but 2 hours in the woods today I would say the rut is definately in full swing.
Bucks were responding to rattling and aggressive grunting very well. I drove about 8 miles between stand sites and saw numerous young and mature bucks in the wide open trailing doe.

finally agree, the main rut backed up 2 weeks, ive seen small ones running, but this last week with wind & rain , standing corn, nothing. finaly, sunday, break in the wheather, seen bigger bucks moving, but not nose to tail, i think the best will be the next two weeks,moon phase is every thing, packing my clothes to work, leaving early , the time is thursday- thru, the 20th.ive changed my work schedule totally for this .its time shed heads! lets get it done.

Top Bottom