Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Weed ID

ILBowHunter

Can somebody help ID this weed? Lambsquarters?

One of my round-up ready soybean plots is drowning in it and was just sprayed with gly about 2 weeks ago.

IMG_9031.jpg

Thanks

Looks like lambs-quarter. Is there any reddish, purple veins running down up/down the stem? Anything flowered yet? They'll be greenish and clustered.

Yep. Correct.
I'll deal with all sorts over the years in cycles and so many it's hard to keep up with them & sometimes forget so stuff like this is always handy.... http://www.iasoybeans.com/sites/default/files/production-research/WeedGuide.pdf

U better hit with some "heavy" gly and I'd for sure add ammonium sulfate & crop oil and if it's "really really bad" - then u can look at an application of cobra or similar. I've added cadet and dunno if I think it's that great. Flexstar maybe a possible option as well. I do think if u pound away with heavy gly, etc- might get it or set back enough so beans over take.

Last edited:
Yep. Correct.
I'll deal with all sorts over the years in cycles and so many it's hard to keep up with them & sometimes forget so stuff like this is always handy.... http://www.iasoybeans.com/sites/default/files/production-research/WeedGuide.pdf

U better hit with some "heavy" gly and I'd for sure add ammonium sulfate & crop oil and if it's "really really bad" - then u can look at an application of cobra or similar. I've added cadet and dunno if I think it's that great. Flexstar maybe a possible option as well. I do think if u pound away with heavy gly, etc- might get it or set back enough so beans over take.

If he sprayed it with a glysophate once and it didn't work, why would you suggest spraying it again solely with it again? Just curious, as honestly this is how weed resistance increases over the years.

Guys who struggle with pigweed, lambs quarter, etc in beans have really good luck with a product like flexstar Gt 3.5. It does have some glysophate in it but it also has fomesafen with is great on broadleafs post emergence in soybeans specifically. 3.5 pts/acre with the use of both an adjuvant and a surfactant. Just my two cents but I wouldn't run strictly another round of gly because if it didn't work the first time there's no magic fairy dust that's going to make it work as a post.

If he sprayed it with a glysophate once and it didn't work, why would you suggest spraying it again solely with it again? Just curious, as honestly this is how weed resistance increases over the years.

Guys who struggle with pigweed, lambs quarter, etc in beans have really good luck with a product like flexstar Gt 3.5. It does have some glysophate in it but it also has fomesafen with is great on broadleafs post emergence in soybeans specifically. 3.5 pts/acre with the use of both an adjuvant and a surfactant. Just my two cents but I wouldn't run strictly another round of gly because if it didn't work the first time there's no magic fairy dust that's going to make it work as a post.

It's not the best solution but likely the last rate was not high enough. I also didn't say spray gly again (just gly at likely a Lower rate than needed- not suggesting doing the same for sure!!!). I am talking about rates and additives big time. And yes, resistant weeds, at a minimum at least get suppressed by gly. (Which overall, long term is a BAD thing but can be corrected with Liberty rotations). It can't hurt to put the rate to 3-5 qts/acre and the difference- I'm guessing, is ams and crop oil were not added. There's a point to where u can kill gly resistant plants if u hammer em hard enough with some additives. I'd highly suggest adding something like flexstar & if it were me, I'd buy (from any coop) acechlor or s-metolachlor in addition (pre-emergent that will still help you this summer). So, let's say this was my plot right now.... I'd personally (again, just me) would hit with 3-4 qts roundup, ams, crop oil, either: s-metolachlor or acechlor + I'd add cadet or flexstar or possibly cobra. Lot of options.
Now- why I said that is also due to reality..... I'll tell my buddies what to spray and some listen while others go out and spray 1 qt of Round up and just call it a day with a mess of weeds later. Some folks don't have the time or desire to get some extra tools. But- all are readily available anywhere. My last thought for what I would do does not come until next year's seed purchase which would have me running several years of Liberty and hands down- any beans, period, I'd go high rates on prowl h20 & sonic pre-emergents. All this in hind sight but those weeds likely wouldn't b there with that combo. As we all learn- think of next season- on beans, highly highly suggest prowl & sonic as Pre's. I've had outstanding results across many farms with those pre's and Liberty post emergent.
Good luck on smashing those weeds. We've all been there. Blast the heck out of em and I personally would highly suggest stopping at coop to get additions and ask them what they suggest for your area and situation.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys.

Last round was at 2 qts/acre with AMS and crop oil. I'll talk to the coop about getting something to add in with a hotter mix of gly.

Sligh, is there a pre recipe that you would recommend that works with both corn and beans? We usually have both in a plot and get lazy with different tank mixes. Added some sharpen to the spring gly burndown and that seemed to help some, but apparently not with this lambsquarters.

Seems like it's time for a round of Liberty, but have some learning to do there.

Thanks

Thanks for the help guys.

Last round was at 2 qts/acre with AMS and crop oil. I'll talk to the coop about getting something to add in with a hotter mix of gly.

Sligh, is there a pre recipe that you would recommend that works with both corn and beans? We usually have both in a plot and get lazy with different tank mixes. Added some sharpen to the spring gly burndown and that seemed to help some, but apparently not with this lambsquarters.

Seems like it's time for a round of Liberty, but have some learning to do there.

Thanks

I'm not as important as Skip, but I'd recommend a product called Dual II magnum. Quiet popular with guys who have corn/beans in same field just like cases you described, works great and you can tank mix it with a glysophate if weed pressure is really bad. Most Coops can get it/have it on hand; at least the one I worked at does :D:D:D

I'm not as important as Skip, but I'd recommend a product called Dual II magnum. Quiet popular with guys who have corn/beans in same field just like cases you described, works great and you can tank mix it with a glysophate if weed pressure is really bad. Most Coops can get it/have it on hand; at least the one I worked at does :D:D:D

Ha ha goof ball. ;)
Dual II magnum is S-metolachlor so right on. Acechlor is similar as well. Both are great on corn or beans. Both can be applied at burn down or any spray times. Now- they are better on grasses than broadleaves. That's why I do stuff like prowl & sonic in beans. Both r great on broadleaves. Yep- I agree on the dual II for a good option with corn & beans. When corn- plan on atrazine in addition if possible and beans, id do prowl & sonic on burn down before planting.

Top Bottom