Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What are you putting in?

Central Iowa

Life Member
The time to start planting food plots is quickly coming. What are you putting in this spring and if you are mixing your own what are you planning for your mixes?

Frost seeded/over seeded Puna Chicory, Alice White Clover, and Birdsfoot Trefoil.

Things are starting to green up nicely!
waytogo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
What are you putting in this spring and if you are mixing your own what are you planning for your mixes?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to plant RR corn/soybeans

Already frost seeded Oasis Forage Chicory into my clover and alfalfa.

I'm going to plant both Pea Oatlage and Pea Tritlage the first part of April partly to draw deer away from my corn and to test if the field peas will work in a summer planting for fall plots.

I'll plant buckwheat in most of my brassica plots and then till that under in late summer and replant brassicas

I hope to test some clover and alfalfa mixes just to see if any type or variety is better then another.

Man I'm ready to stir some dirt!
cool.gif

My farm is pretty hilly. The ridgetops are farmed which ends up being about 30 acres and there is something like 40-50 acres of CRP. The ridgetops this year will be corn so I decided to plant a couple RR soybean plots about an acre a piece. I also plan to try to get 2-3 acres of a clover variety started on some of the timber edges, and hopefully my chicory plot I planted last fall will take off this spring.

I'm hoping to do a burn on some brome grass and get in a chicory/clover plot on about an acre. My timber plot needs some more sunlight so a little TSI is in order there. I have another acre I would like to plant but I'm not decided on that one yet. I've got a few thousand tree seedlings coming this spring, so time is limited this year.
crazy.gif

I've got some concerns about Atrazine carry-over so I'm going to have to stick with RR corn this year. Kind of bummed a bit, I was really hoping to get some clover in, but it will have to wait until next year.

Corn again, though I'll back it off by at least 1/3 judging by whats left in last years plot. I'll probably replace that 1/3 with RR beans followed by oats/wheat/rye.

Top Bottom