Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What is it???

deerman_2006

I have been a silent observer on this site for quite a while now and decided it was time to contribute something for once. My hunting partner pulled the card on a camera last week and got these pics and we can't decide if this is really a juvenile mt. lion or not??? I also put a picture of a coyote and a couple pictures of a young buck up for size references. I don't know how to zoom in on the pictures and post that but the color looks right for a mt. lion and it has a longer tail so we don't know what to think. This is in south central Iowa. Thanks for lookin!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Also kinda new on here and looking at pics on phone but looks like a definite possibility to me

Sent from my iPhone using IW

Bobcat. If you would look at a cougar and how their tail would carry, it would be much lower and alot longer.

The pic blown up on the post right above me is defenitely a bobcat. Just the angle in which you are seeing it makes the tail seem longer.

Bobcat. If you would look at a cougar and how their tail would carry, it would be much lower and alot longer.

The pic blown up on the post right above me is defenitely a bobcat. Just the angle in which you are seeing it makes the tail seem longer.

Count me in the bobcat group. Thanks for posting, that spot looks like a good one, everything goes through there! Welcome, please post some more! :way:

Id say Bobcat judging by the size of the deer and coyote in relativity to where the cat is standing. It does resemble a Mt Lions colors. But it seems to be the size of the coyote and have a short tail. I mean even a feral cats tail is longer than that. good sized bobcat is what Id go with. Maybe you will get a better picture and prove us either right or wrong.
Thanks for sharing.

I've seen both up close and personal and that is definitely a bobcat. Tail is way too short for a mt. lion and, like previously said, that last pic of it is with its leg stretched back. One of the first pics looks like it shows the white/black bobacats have. Plus the pics of the body make it look bigger than it is, which is how bobcats look (bigger than they are). Mt. lions don't really grow "fluffier" fur out to make them look bigger than they are. Here is a trail cam picture of a very young mt. lion (probably first year female) from my trail cam this summer:

picture.php

Compare your "walking away" pic to this "walking away" pic and you'll see.

Last edited:
Top Bottom