Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What is your maximum bow shot?

hunt-m-up

Just wondered what everyones maximum bow shot distance would be. Mine is relatively short, not because I can't shoot a target at 50 yards, but I'm not comfortable with my shot at that distance on a deer. Always interesting to find out what others set as their personal limit. Thanks.

95% of the time for me they must be within 20 to 25 yds.... on the very rare occassion with all the variables in my favor I may try a 30 yd shot.

That is my preset limit, allthough I've never had to try it out yet.

Jason

I would have to say my limit is also thirty yards.
I have only taken two deer in the two years i have been bowhunting and one was at 20 and the other ar 30 yds.

i would also say my limit is 30 yds , i never practice over 30 so this is my limit. have shot 2 bucks at 30 yds but things where just right. 20 yds is what i hope to shoot or less.

I will not take a shot over 30yd's and have lowered that down to 20yd's this year.I'm Having some confidence problem's this year with my shooting so I took off my 30 yard pin until it come's back to me.

My max range is 40 yards. Which I never shot at a deer this distance, but I do practice this shot quite a bit. But I will only shot at a deer thats 40 yards away if, EX. I shoot a deer in the shoulder, and he has a hard time running, and he walks out to 40 yards, i will take another shot to finish him.
The pin is just there incase I need that second shot. There is agood article in a past issue of bowhunter, about a 40 yard pin, when and why hunters should have one. The reason, which I followed, is for that second shot. But lucky enough, I haven't had to use it!
Good hunting,

Jason V

Max is 45 yds,
Probably will never use it but it's their in case. Practicing at that distance is a chore but once you get accurate, 20 yds looks like 20ft.

BT

My max is 30yds.I like to let the deer walk in to about 15yds and nail'em.I watched Dan Fitzgerald tonight nail a caribou at 70yds! WOW
This guy is one hell of an archer!

I practice my shots out to 35 yards....practice standing , sitting , and kneeling , but over the last 10 years I have not taken a deer over 15 yards. But like it was stated earlier if you can get proficient at 35 - 40 yards the chip shots at 10 - 20 yards become less nerve racking.

Well with little to no wind i feel comfortable at 50 yard shot on a deer. Got a new mathews this year and have been shootin the heck out of it all summer at 65 to 70 yards consistantly. Long shots like this would mean deer is not moving and i have time to use my range fider first, then adjust my single pin to that yardage and let it fly. However last year i shot my buck from less than 5 feet yes feet away while knealing on the ground. Max so taken so far at a deer is 35 which was a good clean kill. thats my 2 cents.

For local whitetail most of mine are 20-30yds...went bowhunting for Mulies in the Dakota's and found out those ranges & tactics didn't work. Most shots were 40-50yds with little tree cover. I'd recommend using carbon arrows if you shoot the longer distances.

I practice constantly shooting from distances of 15-35 yards. I shot very well out to 30 yards, but I am not at all comfortable shooting at a whitetail beyond 30 yards. Now having said that I have harvested 16 whitetails over the years with a bow, and I have never had to shot at them beyond 15-20 yards. several of them have been under 10 yards. I am sure a lot of this is due to the fact that I generally set up in very thick cover. Good hunting......

I agree with the guy's above. I have sent my limmit at 30 yards, but like the rest of you i rarely take that shot . 1 out of my 4 deer have been taken at that didtance the rest are 25yrd or less.

Yesterday morning I took my first Iowa deer at a distance later determined by a range finder at 31 yards. About 15 seconds before I shot him, I passed a 15-17 yard shot due to some overhanging limbs. I only took the longer shot since EVERYTHING was perfect, ie broadside, head down, calm wind etc.

Oh, and right before I let the arrow fly, I said this prayer "Lord, calm my nerves and let this arrow fly straight!" My prayer was answered!!

MO

With a deer at a known distance (next to a marker or use rangefinder) in perfect shooting position and standing still, I would be willing to push the distance a bit (35-50 yards). However, most of my stands are set up with planned shots of under 25 yards. The last two deer I shot were both under 15 yards. Another question might be "what is the closest shot you have ever taken with a bow at a deer."

wouldn't shoot over 30 yards..mainly cuz my stands are in thicker areas where 30 yards is tough. I do this on purpose so i don't wing an arrow that doesn't need to be winged. Closest deer would've been about 6 yards...i was 12 and it was my 2nd deer with the bow...button buck.

We have a deer target about 27 yards outside our dressing shed and we all take one shot when we come in every morning and before we go out every evening. We nail heart or lungs darn near every time.

I am totally comfortable out to 30 yards in good conditions. If its windy, my arrows tend to plane a bit and I'd probably cut that range down to 20-25 yards. Beyond those ranges and he walks and I'll try to grunt him in closer or get him another time.

I practice alot and shoot year round. I shot a deer at 48 yards 2 years ago and I will never do that again!! I shoot enough that I can shoot targets that far, so I thought why not a deer right? Well here is why I had a double lung shot going then the deer took one step as I released he was broadside at the time. Any bow is slower that you think, trust me. The double lung shot at release was a gut shot at 48 yards when the arrow got there. I got a complete pass thru on him and found him 70 yards away the next morning. But I will not shoot that far again, because what if he takes a step? So far I have shot about a dozen deer with a bow and my closest shot is 18 yards and the farthest shot is 48. So the moral of the story, no matter how good of a shot you are deer move when shot at sometimes, so keep shots close. Atleast I try to after that experience.

Even though I practice out to 40 yards, my max. would be 30 yards, but conditions would have to be perfect. Relaxed, standing deer with nothing in the way!!! Farthest shot ever taken, 18 yards to date!!!

The key to range in my opinion is equipment and capability. When I shot a recurve with no trigger release I definitely had a range of 20 or less. Since my son gave me this new renegade 7 years ago I have killed 5 bucks. From the first at 5 yrds to a 163 1/8 nontypical at 31 yrds and this year's at 26 yrds. Of course practice should tell you your correct range also. I wouldn't even think of 40-45 yrds unless the equipment was available and I had the capability to do it.

Top Bottom