Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What to do in this cold.

Buckhunter

Just wondering what everyone hunting this last week is planning on doing? This cold is borderline dangerous to be out in!! I wonder if the deer will even be moving much in this?What do you all think?

I'll be out for sure. Just getting ready to head out right now. I was just out driving around and saw 3 bucks and a handfull of doe out feeding at noon. They'll be out and moving earlier than usual with the extreme cold. I'll be set up downwind of some standing milo that has been getting hit hard the last few days. But I'll be nice a toasty in my blind with a mr. heater, otherwise I wouldn't last but an hour or two in this cold.

If it is "really cold", it'll be either rocking for deer movement or deader than disco. Usually no in between when it is "Really cold".

The key is layering well to withstand the elements. Deer movement for me has been better than average with the cold... full moon is keeping the movement to right at dark though.

I've been "hunting" in it, the deer haven't got the memo yet. I did finally find the motherload tonight after my worthless sit. Hopefully they're still there tomorrow afternoon!

I am fine in my blind, I just bring lots of clothes and I am not getting cold. Saw about 50 deer+ on standing beans several nights VS when i hunted standing corn I'm consistently seeing about 1/2 that amount- still fun. 2 hours before dark they have been filtering out like crazy. I'll be out any chance I get.

Guess you could drive around with a group shooting deer out the pickup windows while using CBs .They seem to stay warm here doing that ?????!!

Man I don't know what to do. I just bought my late muzzy tag a couple days ago and I may regret it. There is no way I can sight for more than an hour with the windchill in the negatives like it has been and is suppose to continue to be. I tried to do some spot and stalk but its about pointless, where I am hunting the is a layer of ice in the snow and it is real crunchy/loud.

With temps getting as cold as 30 below zero yesterday, I still didn't have any problem staying warm. A good set of bibs and a heater body suit and I never felt a chill. The real challenge is getting out to your hunting spot through knee deep snow. Snow shoes are almost the only way to do it, and its still tough to keep from sweating.
I will be out every chance I get this week , the deer are moving better than I have seen in a long time. Hope the cold sticks for one more week!

Sound's like I just need to get out there and man-up!! Gonna try a chair blind and heater for the first time and see how that work's.Good luck to all who make it out this week.

Late season success depends on two things,
-finding the food source
-enduring the elements

Play the wind and dress appropriately and you will have some of the best hunting of the year!

I love it when its like this!

Where I hunt the beans are where the deer at. Nothing is hitting the corn at all. This is the best late muzzleloader season I have seen so far. I have only hunted one day and shot a doe yesterday morning and then in the evening I had 42 feeding around me. Not one buck in the group worth looking at.

It's cold, but you only have to tough it out for an hour and half in the evening. Man up!!! :)

Me and the girlfriend went out for the doe only season in Illinois Thursday morning. Never seen a deer. Went back out at 3 in the afternoon and the deer were already moving to the food. From the deer I spotted, it looked like half of them were heading to the standing corn including two big big bucks and the other half hit the picked beans. There's about 6 inches of snow but they weren't afraid to dig down and get the leftovers. Late season hunting is a ton of fun. Even if its 0 degrees.

I'm heading out tomarrow,but I think I wanna hunt where your hunting Liv!!! Bean's over corn huh? I'm going to do a little scouting then set up on the sign.

Top Bottom