Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What to plant?

savey33

I am going to plant a food plot this year. I live in SE South Dakota where soy beans, corn, and alfalfa is everywhere. What would be the best thing to plant since there is so much of these crops around? I want to see if I can help increase some antler mass and body size. Any similar success stories etc.?

[ QUOTE ]
I am going to plant a food plot this year. I live in SE South Dakota where soy beans, corn, and alfalfa is everywhere. What would be the best thing to plant since there is so much of these crops around? I want to see if I can help increase some antler mass and body size. Any similar success stories etc.?

[/ QUOTE ]
You already have the best of the best as far as feed is concerned. Antler mass and body size come from good genetics and age IMO. You can plant any of the common crops and just leave them standing or something different such as clover and brassicas. Any of these are high quality food sources and excellent draws during hunting season. Non are likely to accomplish the things you desire better then letting them grow old
smirk.gif

The farmer is going to plant some corn this year and leave it back around one of our stands. He said he would let me plant some stuff if I wanted, but maybe it would just be easier and just as good if he planted it all as corn. I agree about letting them grow old. In my part of the state it is tough, but people are getting a little better about passing the smaller ones. The problem with my area is that there are LOTS of roads which unfortunately turns into a lot of idiot pick-up chasers. Thanks for the reply!

Also, has anyone ever tried planting biologic(or others) between the corn rows? I heard of someone doing that once and was wondering how that worked.

[ QUOTE ]
The farmer is going to plant some corn this year and leave it back around one of our stands. He said he would let me plant some stuff if I wanted, but maybe it would just be easier and just as good if he planted it all as corn. I agree about letting them grow old. In my part of the state it is tough, but people are getting a little better about passing the smaller ones. The problem with my area is that there are LOTS of roads which unfortunately turns into a lot of idiot pick-up chasers. Thanks for the reply!

[/ QUOTE ]
I would go with the corn because it will provide season long cover and food. In your case cover is most important...the road hunters can't kill em if they can't see em!
waytogo.gif

Most likely the farmer will use Atrazine for herbicicde so it might be difficult to plant something else into the corn. If it's Roundup Ready corn then that might be a possible. I'm planting RR soybeans into my corn plot, rye is a possible interseeded in early Sept. Biologic has many types of seed products so I'm not sure which type you may have heard of?

I'm not sure what specific type it was either, I will have to check into it. The pro at Scheels here told me that some farmers were trying it. Do you use any mineral supplements at all along with your food plots? If so, what do you use?

I am from NW IA and my family and I planted a mix of clover, chicory, and alfalfa and the deer LOVED it, mowed the small plot down before the season opened, the stuff should be growing back now and hopefully thicker than its first year!!

Top Bottom