Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What's your harvest criteria

drummin_log

http://themanagementadvantage.com/home/new-friends/

In this video a lady shoots a 6.5 year old buck. The deer only scores 130, but that's a good deer for Alabama. I would love to have enough land to let deer try to get to 6.5, but it would be nearly impossible on just 150 acres because of the neighbors. On our lease, we look for 3.5 or better. It's the baseline we use to determine shooters or not. What do you use as your determining factor on if the deer is a shooter or not?

What do you use as your determining factor on if the deer is a shooter or not?
user_offline.gif

It depends if my freezer is out of venison or not. I have no set goals for shooting a deer, been there and done that. If I'm in the mood at a given time, I'll shoot one. doesn't matter on size. To each his own.:way:

My goal has been 150 or clearly mature. I've broke/missed by a few inches on 3 of my last 5 in the last 3 years.... How am I doing :D

I don't typically look for any type of age class (I hunt primarily public land). For a buck I'd like it to appear mature and be a nice 8 point or better (usually 125" plus). If I'm taking a doe I prefer it to be a mature doe rather than a yearling.

I pass as many smaller bucks as I can stand. I'd prefer to fill my statewide with a doe than I would on a small basket rack even though the shotgun mafia may end up shooting him anyhow. Just my personal thoughts.

I get a kick out of this debate! I have hunted deer for many years here in Iowa and man how things have changed! When I first started bow hunting deer I was happy to see any deer, doe included. The next phase I went through was passing up a doe for a buck, any buck. Then it evolved into holding out for a decent buck, maybe a little larger than a basket 8. (yes that was a decent buck in Iowa back then). Next I guess I became a trophy hunter, holding out for something over 110" or so! Now I have a farm I use QDM on and anything under a mature 160" is off limits. Even over 160" might be off limits if it isn't a mature buck, as I passed one up this year during ML that was over 165" but not mature.
We are very spoiled here in Iowa these days to be passing up deer I would have given anything to even see a few years back! No matter the size of the deer, I ALWAYS enjoy just being able to be out and witness nature. That's really my trophy.

No age restriction for me, since I hunt mostly public that is extremely pressured, anything out to the ears is good with me. Someday , hopefully, I will have a piece of land I can manage for mature/ 150 range deer.

Over the past 50 years I have killed more than my share of mediocre bucks with little thought to standards other than it having antlers. However, at this point in my life, my criteria at least for Iowa whitetails is; any buck that I am willing to pay the taxi to put on the wall (or a pedestal
icon12.gif
). If it's not something I'm going to have mounted, I'm not shooting it (with the rare exception of finishing off a cripple). I never bought into the "does taste better" BS :rolleyes: but, I will still shoot a doe rather than a buck if I'm just grocery shopping. I have no need to add to my pile of (mediocre) "trophies".

I simply enjoy hunting bucks that have been around my hunitng area for a few yrs.

Score is really of very little concern to me......I seem to get lucky in terms of numbers of older bucks. Realistically, 5.5 plus are possible almost always. I don't think they peak here until 6.5 or older but the right 5.5 is not ever getting a pass from me.

It all depends on what makes YOU happy. Too many people worry about what others will think. They come onto sites like this, post a picture and ask.."Is this a shooter?" What the hell kind of question is that? Do what makes YOU happy and no one else. Some people have had the opportunity to take bigger bucks than others, so their standards may be a bit higher.

I always love the ole "Well if I dont shoot it my neighbors will" But will that deer truly make you happy, or did you kill it just because otherwise they might. If you kill it, that deer doesn't stand a chance at living, If you pass it, there's always a chance it may live to see another year.

Location also plays a key role in the level of standards one may set for himself.

Personally, Im into 4+ yr old deer. a 6 yr old that scores in the 130s is a bigger trophy to me than a 150s 3 yr old.

I aim for 4.5 and up or at least 150 inches.Although I sometimes cave the last week and shoot whatever for meat. I just really hate not filling a tag.

If i am not going to put him on the wall, i am not putting an arrow in him.... Not going to shoot a buck for meat, they don't taste as good as a doe. Just my opinion.

I practice QYBM (quality young buck management) I'm all about shooting tomorrows trophies today :way:

Personally, I want to just improve every year (score wise). Idealy, I want to take at least a 4 year old or older buck. Eventually, I want to get to the point where 5yr deer and older is my benchmark. Though, I understand that older deer are harder to come by. But, once i get a couple more heads for the wall, It'll be easier to pass up on a good, younger deer. But, It sure awfully hard to pass up on a good three year old. I could of killed probably two of them this year. (I got one during second season). Which, I'm so thankful that it didn't work out.

Last edited:
I have shot the oldest 100" buck out of anyone I know.... and if I hadnt shot him, he wouldn't have made it through the winter... est 9 1/2-10 1/2yrs old... Ive also shot a 130" 2 1/2 yr old and as many of you know, score cant tell much about age.... and I hate when a 130" 6.5 yr old isn't killed cuz he needs to be taken imho.. i have just started looking at 1..is he mature? Or..2..does he have a decent set on him. Or in other words... will I regret tagging this one? If not, I shoot everytime. And ive had some poor judgement in the past, but never regret it:)

I think that will vary with every hunter depending on multiple variables like how long have you hunted, how many deer you have shot, whats a big buck for your area, do you just want meat, how many days do you have to harvest a deer, what sort of hunting ground do you have access too (public/private), etc.

My theory has always been that if I'm proud enough to put it on the wall I'm letting the carbon fly...just me. My standards have slowly changed and matured since I first started no doubt and just being out there is reward enough for me nowadays. It started as anything that had a tail, to something with antlers, to now a mature buck at hopefully 5+ years. I typically target a few bucks given my trail cams and scouting and I know for sure I'd shoot it or not. If I happen to see a wonderer that I'd be happy with on my wall I don't hesitate.

I truly think it comes down to the fact that if you are happy with what you shoot or not. The absolute worst is hearing someone say "oh it's alright, I probably shouldn't have shot it." If YOU are happy I'm happy for you...don't get why people feel pressure to be "accepted" by the size of buck they shoot...sad that its getting that way. Have fun and enjoy the experience, shoot YOUR "trophy" whatever that may be...

I've tried really hard to take mature deer and for me that is 4+. honestly though, if he's big enough to get me excited enough that i grab my bow rather than my binos, he's probably getting an arrow. I'd rather eat a tag than shoot a buck I'm not proud enough of to put on the wall.

If he's worthy of a spot on the wall he will get an arrow by me.

Honestly, I have no problem not shooting a buck every year or even every couple years. It makes it that much more special when the time comes.

For meat I will just take a doe.

A trophy is in the eye of the beholder. For myself I have enough mounts to make me happy and my wife upset with using up all the wall space.

I use to hold out for the "big one" but it's not all about that. If a 2 1/2 year old 100" buck gives me a clean ethical shot at close range that gets me as excited I will put him in the fridge. My family, freinds and nieghbors enjoy venison and I like to share so I will take an opportunity when it presents itself unless he's a 1 1/2 old and small bodied. Keep on mind, I don't live in the mid west or I probaly would raise my standards a little. I was blessed to have the 1st buck in bow range this year be a 4 1/2 year old that scored 135", very rewarding but so where the many other hunts taking younger buck. It's all about an ethical bow kill to me anymore since I only hunt with a bow & arrow.

Top Bottom