Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Why do people take hunting so seriously?

spitndrum

yella acern
I've been noticing some of the 10 paragraph rants on here about people and regulations. Have we forgotten what hunting is all about? Sure it's fun to kill the biggest buck but the world ain't gonna end if your neighbor kills him with a shotgun 3 minutes past legal shooting hours. Sometimes we get to hunting so hard that it seems like a chore to kill the biggest buck! I want to kill a big buck too but honestly I'm perfectly happy spending time in the woods and watching nature. I really don't care what other people are doing as long as they don't shoot me. Idk just seems like people been taking everything too seriously

Because most people now days think they are going to be the next big thing, they have to kill a big buck every year so sponsors will take note and television will take note. Oh, and lets not forget about how they have to pimp the products. I see so many people trying to show off thier realtree logo, the mathews bow, the lone wolf or muddy stand...its getting pretty frickin sickening if you ask me.

spitndrum said:
I've been noticing some of the 10 paragraph rants on here about people and regulations. Have we forgotten what hunting is all about? Sure it's fun to kill the biggest buck but the world ain't gonna end if your neighbor kills him with a shotgun 3 minutes past legal shooting hours. Sometimes we get to hunting so hard that it seems like a chore to kill the biggest buck! I want to kill a big buck too but honestly I'm perfectly happy spending time in the woods and watching nature. I really don't care what other people are doing as long as they don't shoot me. Idk just seems like people been taking everything too seriously

Your right that should be all of ours attitudes

Everyone is titled to their own opinion and it's easy for others to criticize what others do it it is different than their own way. The hunting industry has significantly changed the way people look at hunting and the evaluation of the quality of your trophy. Change happens, both good and bad. I would say that as the hunting industry has grown, it has certainly given some of the companies a significant opportunity to invest more money into the research and development of some of the best gear and equipment we have ever had available to us, so I can't say that all of the changes in the hunting industry are bad.

Some of the negative impacts of the outdoor channel and all of the hunting shows out there is the emphasis on big racks and the marketing to have all of the latest and greatest gadgetry. I know it has certainly shifted the way people evaluate their seasons, based on whether or not they can down a big mature buck every year. This adds to the stress on most hunters and I think it really builds up when the season gets close to the end as you can see with a lot of the posts you see on the forums.

I've been noticing some of the 10 paragraph rants on here about people and regulations. Have we forgotten what hunting is all about? Sure it's fun to kill the biggest buck but the world ain't gonna end if your neighbor kills him with a shotgun 3 minutes past legal shooting hours. ...

Hunting is all about integrity, having a good time in God's creation within the lines of the law. No, your world isn't going to end if somebody shoots the buck you've been after illegally. But, when it comes to other people breaking game laws, which negatively impacts others' quality of their hunts, I don't know that there is anyone that feels good about it. So, if you have somebody out there that is breaking game laws (shooting an animal outside of legal shooting hours that reduces everybody's opportunities to have a quality hunt) by all means, report it.

Last edited:
  • Deleted by N/A
Show…
Some of us take it seriously because: We have limited time to hunt. We follow the laws & don't like law breaking cheaters. We have limited funds to participate in the outdoors & try to make every dollar count. We are teaching our kids how to hunt & that hunting is a serious sport. Also teaching to be a responsible sportsman w/ the ethics to not ruin others hunts & respect the animal being pursued.

Some of us take it seriously because: We have limited time to hunt. We follow the laws & don't like law breaking cheaters. We have limited funds to participate in the outdoors & try to make every dollar count. We are teaching our kids how to hunt & that hunting is a serious sport. Also teaching to be a responsible sportsman w/ the ethics to not ruin others hunts & respect the animal being pursued.
what he said:drink2:

You are on a HUNTING forum. Opinions, facts, and debates are what forums are about. If some peoples opinions bother you, than don't read them! Bottom line is some guys are very passionate about hunting and the outdoors and feel very strongly about conservation and laws and the future of our sport. Not that hard to understand if you ask me. I think when you get a bit older, you will understand why people do what they do or why they are passionate about certain things. Hell, with a little luck you might even find something that drives you. :way:

Woah, 3 minutes past, huge infraction, call the game warden!

3 minutes past- I wouldn't call the game warden on anyone or honestly even care. Minor things like that, I honestly don't have time for BUT.... That's not what goes on in almost all areas I've seen... with limited time of the DNR, I hope they go after the idiots shooting deer out their car window, sneaking on to people's land and killing deer, shooting tons of bucks illegally & selling the antlers or just doing for bragging rights. We have so many serious offenders with limited DNR time- I want them to focus on the large amount of severe law breaking, poaching & trespassing that plagues Iowa. For example, a guy shooting a deer 3 mins after light could possibly be nailed for 1 deer- I'd rather go after the guy that's shooting 15 bucks illegally in the season and that sure happens.
I do take all that seriously and I promise you- if you spent HUNDREDS of hours improving land, working on making it a conservation & habitat dream and passing young bucks & managing for good hunting- if folks are poaching, you'll take it serious. Anyone should take poaching serious. I sure don't fault a guy for spending tons of time tracking down that old buck & playing the game hard each year- I do that and I LOVE IT. I LOVE taking it seriously. It's rewarding & enjoyable to me. Is it the most important thing in life??? NO WAY! But, doesn't mean I can't take it very seriously and still have a great time in the process.
I fully advocate having the DNR spend the vast majority of their time on the most aggregious poaching & really not going after some of the petty stuff until they have enough resources & time- which they don't currently have.

Last edited:
I believe hunting and fishing are two of the healthiest addictions a guy or gal can have. Personally, I feel everyone has an addiction. Which one you choose will determine the course of your life and often if you are able to keep a job, keep a wife, keep friends etc...

There are many guys that are addicted to alcohol, cheating on wives, they may addicted to fixing cars (which is also a great hobby/addiction). Look around at your friends, if you see someone that never enjoys a hobby or never has a true addiction that is often rare.

There are 5-6 guys that meet at the cafe every day in my hometown to socialize for an hour, that is probably an addiction, healthy, sure...not harming anyone, I bet if they would have tried hunting or fishing they would probably meet in a boat/fish house or maybe even a hunting cabin.

I'll be the first to admit I am addicted and I take it serious, and that is not going to change as I age.

I do take all that seriously and I promise you- if you spent HUNDREDS of hours improving land, working on making it a conservation & habitat dream and passing young bucks & managing for good hunting- if folks are poaching, you'll take it serious. Anyone should take poaching serious. I sure don't fault a guy for spending tons of time tracking down that old buck & playing the game hard each year- I do that and I LOVE IT. I LOVE taking it seriously. It's rewarding & enjoyable to me. Is it the most important thing in life??? NO WAY! But, doesn't mean I can't take it very seriously and still have a great time in the process.

I totally agree Sligh.

The harder I work at it the more serious I get about it.

But I do it because I love this sport of being outside. :way:

Because most people now days think they are going to be the next big thing, they have to kill a big buck every year so sponsors will take note and television will take note. Oh, and lets not forget about how they have to pimp the products. I see so many people trying to show off thier realtree logo, the mathews bow, the lone wolf or muddy stand...its getting pretty frickin sickening if you ask me.

What? Obsess much?

Outdoor Channel

The Outdoor Channel does result in pimping products, but do you know how the industry works. They (the shows) cannot exist without sponsors. Much of it is overboard, but in all cases it has to happen.

Watch Midwest Whitetail, they do a nice job of acting like real hunters, which they are, and they don't over do it with sponsorship.

The Outdoor Channel does result in pimping products, but do you know how the industry works. They (the shows) cannot exist without sponsors. Much of it is overboard, but in all cases it has to happen.

Watch Midwest Whitetail, they do a nice job of acting like real hunters, which they are, and they don't over do it with sponsorship.

Hardwood I have known of a few people trying to submit their harvests and they would not take them due to the gun they were shooting or optics they were using.
Yes they do a great job but they pimp their sponsors pretty hard. IMO.

I take my hunting seriously in so far as that I give it my best effort and try to be successful as I like to think I do in all things. As for violations like shooting a few minutes after closing I don't get my shorts in a wad over it but it was not the greatest timing when someone did it last night, at least five minutes after close, when my son could hear it. This was 20 minutes after he had just had his best hunt to date as far as seeing deer and getting a shot, which he missed. There were more deer moving and he was bummed about his miss and that it was his last hunt for a while. There were deer in front of us when the shot went off and he turned to me with hope in his eyes. All I could say was "some people break the law but not us. Maybe they were shooting at a coyote." Yeah Right!

You guys got it all wrong. I spent some time back in Atlantic City as a pimp, so I know a little about the game.

It is the product manufacturer (pimp) who hires the show producers/host (whore) to go out and get the consumer (money). And then the 'money' flows back to the pimp through his marketing efforts (whores). Got it?

So you guys that are calling the whore the pimp, got it all wrong.

This has been pimping 101 with Ded! :way:

picture.php

Last edited:
I take my hunting seriously in so far as that I give it my best effort and try to be successful as I like to think I do in all things. As for violations like shooting a few minutes after closing I don't get my shorts in a wad over it but it was not the greatest timing when someone did it last night, at least five minutes after close, when my son could hear it. This was 20 minutes after he had just had his best hunt to date as far as seeing deer and getting a shot, which he missed. There were more deer moving and he was bummed about his miss and that it was his last hunt for a while. There were deer in front of us when the shot went off and he turned to me with hope in his eyes. All I could say was "some people break the law but not us. Maybe they were shooting at a coyote." Yeah Right!

Great job Mplane. He will remember that for a lifetime. :way:

We had a mature buck limping one night walk in front of our truck and go and bed down 50 yards away. It was at least 10 minutes after legal season. My boy said come on dad he is hurt.

I just looked at him and said if he is there in the morning when we come back you can have first crack at him. He still remebers it to this day. Hopefully he carries this on down to his kids some day.

Top Bottom