Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Wife's first Bear!

Doubleaarc hery

here is the story from my wife!

Yes, this may be long….but what an experience, eh? Timber Point Camp was a great, beautiful place and Wayne and Sheila were amazing hosts, going out of their way to take care of us! First of all, I couldn’t have asked for a better experience and couldn’t have shared the experience with better people. I want to thank my awesome husband for bringing me along for the hunt and for sacrificing his own hunting time to make sure that I had every opportunity to shoot a bear as well as Nick. His sacrifice gave me a memory that will NEVER be forgotten. Nothing quite beats sitting in the stand with your husband and having him film your first bear kill. He’s also good for entertainment purposes but I kept him pretty low key while hunting with me-the same story may not be told for what happened when Nick and Andy were in the stand. Secondly I would like to thank Nick for sitting with Beau so that I could go out and hunt. I know he received some teasing before we left regarding being the “nanny” but I would call him the “manny” and I would like everyone to know that he did an amazing job with Beau and I was pleasantly surprised. Any man that can change a big poopy diaper and feed baby food to a 6 month old, especially when he’s 20 and doesn’t have a ton of experience, deserves a pat on the back. Beau definitely likes his Uncle Nick. I may deserve an award for a week of testosterone filled, wise cracking, “eh” saying, Lloyd and Harry, boys from Iowa but I have to admit there were moments where I laughed harder than I’d laughed in a long time. Try spending 10 days with guys who once in Canada for 24 hours decide that they are Canadian and must speak like them and end EVERY sentence with “eh”-yes every sentence. Somehow Andy also began singing every conversation. Every discussion he and Nick had were done singing-strange……But I could tell stories forever but let me tell you my favorite story…..the story of “Black Bear Down!”…….

It was Wednesday evening and we decided to go to the “mama bear stand” as it was called because years ago a momma bear was seen there with her cubs. Makes sense I suppose but whatever. Andy and I had sat this stand briefly on Sunday afternoon before he and Nick headed out to another location but I definitely preferred this stand to the other scary stand I’d sat in on Monday evening. There’s something about walking out of the Canadian wilderness at dark, it’s a little creepy! We took the boat over to our location and got out and walked quietly into the stand (about 100 yards in) and as we approached the area, we realized the bait barrel was overturned. This was a new, positive sign for us because bait barrels had been getting hit after dark, not during the day. Andy’s assumption was that we had walked in and scared off a bear eating the zingers and Twinkies and he said to me that he figured the bear was still there watching us from a distance away (I hate it when he’s right!). We got set up and Andy decided to stand the barrel back up, bang on it and come back up to the stand. We were set up by 4:00 and the waiting game began. We both started hearing a stick crack here and there, but nothing really loud or obvious but enough to make us look at each other and really concentrate on the noise. It took about 25 minutes after the first noise we heard and around 6 PM my bear appeared out of the thick brush and trees to the left of my stand some 10-15 yards behind the bait barrel. Bears come in so quietly, it was amazing and she came in a little unsure. She walked forward and Andy said take the shot when ready. We could tell she was spooked and wasn’t sure whether she wanted to stay. I clicked my safety off and raised the gun-which she saw. Andy again said to shoot because from his camera stand angle he could see her well, but I couldn’t see her well enough through the scope of my rifle because of thick brush blocking her body and I wasn’t going to take a poor shot. I waited and she moved forward from the brush and decided to take her body a little left to leave and she moved her right front leg forward, quartering away and I had the perfect angle and shot, so I took it. She jumped from the impact and ran about 35 yards, we heard two gurgles and that was all. Andy got down, without the rifle to track her-not always advisable, followed the blood trail and found her dead. I have to give myself a pat on the back, because I made the shot of a lifetime on her-perfect placement, both lungs and she was dead fast, no suffering. The best part of the whole thing-being there with Andy to share in my excitement. When you see the video-to be released January 2009 (quick plug!), you’ll enjoy the expression on my face-it’s priceless. The beauty will be mounted on the wall in our living room as a constant reminder of that moment. This is an experience everyone needs to have-amazing! The boys retrieved my bear for me and the last exciting part of the hunt came as the boys arrived back at camp, in the john boat with my bear in a cart. While unloading, Nick somehow ended up in the lake. As I learned very quickly from this trip, if it’s gonna happen, it’s gonna happen to Nick and if you like your equipment (for example your 4 wheeler) you probably shouldn’t let Nick drive it lol!!! Just teasing but probably some good advice!!

All in all it was the most beautiful scenery, a wonderful vacation and a great time spent with friends and most importantly family. Beau at almost 7 months has seen a lot in his short life when it relates to hunting. Thank you Andy for providing us a wonderful trip and thanks to both of you for eating the meals I cooked (I’m no great chef!), helping with Beau and putting up with a little estrogen on a manly hunting trip. I had the best time, eh!

IMG_1769.jpg

IMG_1766.jpg

IMG_1792.jpg

Way to go Amanda!!!

very cool story and ill bet that was an experience you will never forget!!!!

Rock on!!!!

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Class Act. Thanks for sharing the shananagans. That's one for the history books. Did you like the bear meat?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There’s something about walking out of the Canadian wilderness at dark, it’s a little creepy! </div></div>

You mean fascinating.

Great job, congrats to your lovely wife!

hoofline.gif

Nice bear, Great hunting adventure, Congrats Amanda. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

hoofline.gif

Would you like more information about becoming a PMA or Life Member? &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Details Here!&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt; Join now and you are automatically entered into the 2008 Big Buck Contest!

11.jpg

Iowa's number one resource for the whitetail deer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Saskguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There’s something about walking out of the Canadian wilderness at dark, it’s a little creepy! </div></div>

You mean fascinating.

Great job, congrats to your lovely wife! </div></div>

I like it! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Congrats on a great hunt you'll both remember always... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rudd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Class Act. Thanks for sharing the shananagans. That's one for the history books. Did you like the bear meat? </div></div>

Not sure yet! But am certainly going to be giving it a try! Been busy since returning so I have yet to clean it all up and try it. But in the next week or so it is on the menu!!!!
I've heard a lot of mixed feelings, so I guess we will find out! I hope I like it cause they were sure a rush to hunt!

I actually loved the bear meat. I think having a butcher cut it up and package it was key. I had bear jerky 10 years ago and it sucked.....but the steaks from mine were d-licious.

Top Bottom