Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Wildgame Innovations IR 4.0

cdpurcell

Just purchased a new trail cam from Bass Pro. I have been really interested in the Wildgame Innovations IR 4.0 for the price and it being an infrared camera. I have been following a lot of comments on different sites and also read the review at Chasing Game so I decided when it went on sale at Bass Pro I better try one.

I hooked it up and placed it in my house to see how well it work. It didn't take long to figure out and I had it taking pictures in no time. I have a regular camera that takes SD cards and I was hoping that I could take the card out of the trail cam and view the pictures on my camera. I was very happy to see I could and now I have a way of view my pictures in the field.

I took the camera out and hung it near my food plot. The only complaint I have is the bungee cord system isn't my favorite way to mount it. However, it is a pretty quick way to mount. I managed to loose one of the bungee cords while trying to find a tree suitable for my liking. Either way it is up and I am looking forward to see how it will perform.

One more nice feature about the newer cam is this one came with an external power port so if it doesn't last long with the four c batteries I can add another power source.

I am very excited about this cam and can't wait to check it. I usually run stealth cams but if this pans out I might switch to this brand and get rid of my stealths. This way I can check my cameras pictures in the field. :)

Happy Hunting!!

I have one of these (if you shop around you can find them for $75) and it's so-so...poor battery life and sometimes doesn't work at all...not sure why?

Takes fair pics and is easy to use...I had to send the first one back and they replaced it with not hassles.

Let us know how you like yours after using it a while...

Here's a day time pic

Fight.jpg

night time

Buck1-31.jpg

Inexpensive but they sure don't compare to the homebrews...;)

Buck3-19.jpg

on the advice of a Scheels worker I bought one of these and was very impressed for how much camera you got for the money. So much so I now own 5 of them.
I had one of them break and took it back and found that they have changed them a little this year and am intersed to see how the new one compares to last year's model.
I found last year that the kind that had the small, flat batteries that go into the back has a lot longer battery life than those that didn't (I also noticed that the new model didn't have those batteries). I just had 1 camera out (last year's model) for quite awhile earlier this summer and took about 2000 pics before I had to change the batteries.
The pics they take are good during they day and usually pretty good at night. Sometimes if the deer aren't close at night they're not too good, but since I've got nothing to compare it to maybe they're all like that. I figure I'm not going to put the pics in a magazine or anything and as long as I can see & judge the deer it's good enough for me.
IMO for the money there isn't a better camera out there. It allows me to have twice as many cameras for the same money as some of the spendier models and since I'm an official addict, that's a good thing!!:grin:

i bought one this year also, so far so good. its taken 1200 nighttime pics and they are all good. the trigger is super fast and the settings are very versatile. after 1200 pics its down one battery bar which i dont think is bad at all. i would take it over the high priced pos cuddebacks anytime.

Well I couldn't take it much longer so I checked the camera earlier tonight. I found my bungee cord I lost last night and re set it on another tree. I did have a few pictures and I am not 100% sure yet but I think the IR might not be working. I had one night time picture and it was not lit up like it should have been. Either way I was able to reposition it so it captured the whole deer in the picture. I did get some turkey pictures in the day and it worked well for that.

I am going to leave it up for a week now before I check it again, I really should be waiting longer but I want to make sure it is working correctly. This way if it isn't I can return in and try another one before I right this camera off. Either way I am still very pleased with this camera and hope it works out.

It allows me to have twice as many cameras for the same money as some of the spendier models

That's kinda my sentiments although I like the Scoutguard/Bushnell cams for extremly long battery life too...;)

I've had great luck with the Wildview 2.0 trail camera. My father & I both have them & have used them for 2 years. They are about $60 - $75. We've had no issues with pic quality or battery life. If you want a good camera for your money then I'd give them a look. I don't see the need to waste money on a Cuddeback. Last year we were getting 2,000 pictures a week. We hooked them up to one of those small depth finder batterys, & it last almost a month. Just my opinion.

I have one of these (if you shop around you can find them for $75) and it's so-so...poor battery life and sometimes doesn't work at all...not sure why?

Takes fair pics and is easy to use...I had to send the first one back and they replaced it with not hassles.

Let us know how you like yours after using it a while...

Here's a day time pic

Fight.jpg

night time

Buck1-31.jpg

Inexpensive but they sure don't compare to the homebrews...;)

Buck3-19.jpg

hat do you consider poor battery life? A buddy of mine put one of these out yesterday and I told him to wait two weeks before he checked it do you think the batterys will last that long? He used some cheaper panasonic c cell batterys and had put it on video mode over a corn pile with a 2G card. I didnt really have any idea how much a 2G would hold on video mode or how long the batterys would last but its a new bait pile so I figured it would take them a couple days to hit it good so I said to leave it for two weeks but if you think theyll be dead before that Ill give him a heads up

rutnstrut- I put my first camera out on June 6 and check them every 2 weeks. I had 2000+ pics on that camera from June 6 until last week and I just changed the batteries for the first time last week.

What do you consider poor battery life?

I'm used to running 2 dbl AA lithium's in my homebrews and having them last months or the Scoutguards that last 6 or more months...so perhaps my interpetaion of "poor" is a bit skewed. ;)

My IR4 is lucky to last 2 weeks in the summer and a week in the winter so it's not something I fell comfortable putting out in a remote place and checking a month later...:rolleyes:

I'm used to running 2 dbl AA lithium's in my homebrews and having them last months or the Scoutguards that last 6 or more months...so perhaps my interpetaion of "poor" is a bit skewed. ;)

My IR4 is lucky to last 2 weeks in the summer and a week in the winter so it's not something I fell comfortable putting out in a remote place and checking a month later...:rolleyes:

Alrighty thanks for the update. Yeah Im spoiled to now a days with the lil covert cams long battery life but Ive still got a couple stealth cams that are lucky to make a week so I was just wondering if 2 weeks on video mode was even possible, sounds pretty iffy now but we'll see I guess

im gettin close to 2000 night time pics and battery life indicator is only down one bar. been out for atleast two weeks.

Top Bottom