Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Would you rather..

doublerack

Assuming moderate hunting pressure with little management practices on surrounding properties, would you rather buy a farm that hasn't been hunted in 10 yrs, or one that has been managed over 10 years? I know size is a factor, so let's just say 200 acres.
Im currious. I have my own opinion on this and have seen the benefits of both. Just looking for everyones thoughts...

Managed. What farm doesn't get hunted whether the owners give permission or not? Especially for 10 years that makes me laugh.

Depends on the quality of the neighborhood. I will pick a superior quality neighborhood with great genetics and neighbors before anything else.

That being said in your scenario managed.

Last edited:
Managed everyday of the week. A farm that has truly not been hunted in 10 years is more rare than an albino unicorn.

Depends on what the farm is, meaning what does it have as far as timber/cover or tillable areas for food plots and/or income. Managed properties may have a lot of the grunt work completed in turning it into a deer property, so that would add value (assuming that is the intended purpose of the farm). Price might also be higher because of that, but you may put that cost into another piece to get it to the same condition. What kind of management would also play a role...food plots, stand locations set up, basically turn key, vs. nothing special that the current owners just decide not to shoot young deer. Who the neighbors are would also be a factor, so knowledge of local community would be a benefit. I've heard of a couple properties that hadn't been hunted in X years, creating a sanctuary, and then a group has gone in and just slayed good bucks left and right. So I believe each could be good. For me...would definitely depend on cost and how much time/money I have to spend at the time.

Depends on what the farm is, meaning what does it have as far as timber/cover or tillable areas for food plots and/or income. Managed properties may have a lot of the grunt work completed in turning it into a deer property, so that would add value (assuming that is the intended purpose of the farm). Price might also be higher because of that, but you may put that cost into another piece to get it to the same condition. What kind of management would also play a role...food plots, stand locations set up, basically turn key, vs. nothing special that the current owners just decide not to shoot young deer. Who the neighbors are would also be a factor, so knowledge of local community would be a benefit. I've heard of a couple properties that hadn't been hunted in X years, creating a sanctuary, and then a group has gone in and just slayed good bucks left and right. So I believe each could be good. For me...would definitely depend on cost and how much time/money I have to spend at the time.

Other factors being equal (price, location etc.), managed in the above fashion gets my vote.

Depends on the quality of the neighborhood. I will pick a superior quality neighborhood with great genetics and neighbors before anything else.

That being said in your scenario managed.

This^^^
You can do all the management you want, but if you got 30 guys hunting in the neighborhood then you will be chasing your tail trying to keep bucks alive. That is if you can find time away from patrolling trespassers. Tough call this day and age, because things can change year to year as far as hunting goes on neighboring properties.

I'd take the rough piece of ground. I like the hard work. It adds a sense of accomplishment to the harvest when it is all said and done. Yes the easy way out would be much more rewarding at first but doing something yourself and with all the blood sweat and tears, it is much more of an accomplishment.

Location rules.....a managed farm surrounded by heavy hunting pressure or outlaws wont get you to much satisfaction.

Depends on the quality of the neighborhood. I will pick a superior quality neighborhood with great genetics and neighbors before anything else...

I wholeheartedly agree with the above statement. I know I may not be directly answering your question...but how a property AND surrounding properties will be hunted and tended in the FUTURE is 10x more important than what has happened in the past.

Give me good neighbors any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Having said that though...as someone else already said, things can change very quickly from one year to the next in terms of surrounding hunting pressure and harvest patterns. But try as hard as you can to get into a neighborhood where there is some sort of management going on.

Remember though, just one hole in the bottom can sink an otherwise stout boat. Likewise, one bad neighbor can really drag down a neighborhood too, even if everyone else is on board with management.

Truly a fantasy world to believe a farm hasn't been hunted in 10 yrs. Wishfully thinking though

Location rules.....a managed farm surrounded by heavy hunting pressure or outlaws wont get you to much satisfaction.

Yep! I bought some land this summer from a bow only, out of state seller. He could hunt just once over last 5 years and did not let anyone else hunt it. Thought I hit the mother load. Turns out that the way the neighbors "do what we do" (straight from their mouth) makes the property seem like its pushed by shotgunners every day.

Sent from my XT1030 using IW

Also avoid neighborhoods that have a lot of guys just like many of us- hardcore hunters with 2-3 tags in their pocket and 40 acres. 40 acres will not grow one good buck per year, 200 acres might grow one. Get yourself in a neighborhood of small properties, and no matter how good the management and how friendly the owners, it won't grow enough shooters.

Cost and return on investment first for me. Assuming similar price than good neighbors can make all the difference.

Also avoid neighborhoods that have a lot of guys just like many of us- hardcore hunters with 2-3 tags in their pocket and 40 acres. 40 acres will not grow one good buck per year, 200 acres might grow one. Get yourself in a neighborhood of small properties, and no matter how good the management and how friendly the owners, it won't grow enough shooters.

Couldn't agree more. Not that it CAN'T grow big bucks, they just don't make it to maturity. One will every so often and 15 hunters know about it because all the neighborhood lots are 5 - 50 acre pieces and all have hunters.

When speaking of hunting mature bucks, true old matriarchs of the woods......10 years of untouched property all day long. It is my personal belief that back when 200 acres of untouched land was feasible(obviously hypothetical today), that in those days the hunting was better, "the big buck" was not over-commercialized and the mature deer to immature deer ratio was better. I know that might not sound right since the biggest part of management today is letting the deer age but I think there was a better age class of bucks back when deer and hunter numbers were lower and a 200 acre tract of untouched land existed.

200 acres untouched if the hypothetical was applied to where everyone resides. I know it is indeed relative to location and deer numbers, number of other hunters, property sizes etc but even this is applicable where I live though the properties are larger and the type of hunters may differ.

I live this every year right near my house. Lots of deer, good genetics, decent food but very very few deer ever make the age class that I can find hunting other properties as little as 3 or 4 miles away where the number of hunters decrease due to property sizes and ease of access in and out of property.

You're right! Having those irresponsible neighbors are really annoying. Besides, if you want a great neighbor, be a great neighbor. The advantages of knowing your neighbor extend into many places.

I don't think it's a matter of neighbors being irresponsible. I think it's that there is a lot of competition for the resource. I've spoke with many of the hunters in my neighborhood and they all seem to be great people, even if they shoot 3 yr olds!

Top Bottom