Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Yotie takes a dirt nap!!! New trail cam pic added!

Skully

PMA Member
Well, it was a text-book day for calling coyotes. Looking out the window at the fresh snow coming down and a light north wind got my trigger finger to itching. Combine this with snot-freezing temps and you got a dream day for a chess match against ol' wiley himself. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif It didn't help that my 9 year old Zack had been hounding me for weeks to take him out. I walked into his bedroom this afternoon and asked him, "How are you going to kill any coyotes playing that dang video game?". I have never seen him so excited to turn that stupid thing off! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
It was hard to leave the comfort of the wood fire but once we were outside and moving we warmed right up. I was toting my Remington .30-06 and Zack had his trusty .22 Cricket single shot. Our plan was to hike to the back ridge and set up facing north above a gnarly wild plum thicket. I had been discarding my deer scraps on a creek shelf not far from there and yote sign was abundant in the area. We found a spot near a dead-fall where we could both get a good rest for our rifles. Zack would watch the west gap and I would keep an eye on the east side. The wind was perfect, coming out of the NW at about 4mph. I clicked on the old "woodpecker in distress" on my electronic call and then I began the "coon fight" with my mouth call. After about a 60 second series I put the call in my pocket and told Zack to watch the creek bottom closely. With the fresh powdery snow it would be difficult to hear anything sneaking in on us. Not 30 seconds passed when I caught movement about 200 yds. to my right. A mature male coyote was on full tilt heading down the brushy fence row! He crossed our back CRP field and vanished into the deep creek bank 100 yds. below us. Now the nail biting part. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif It seemed like forever and I was hoping he hadn't spotted us and high-tailed it to the next county. Next thing I know he is coming up out of a drainage ditch not 30 yds away! I had to whistle to get him to stop and he was in close quarters for my .30-06 but I let-er-rip and just caught the tops of his shoulder blades. This called for the .22 Cricket to spring into action and Zack made true on his finishing shot! To say we were pumped would be an understatement! We shouldered our weapons and began the long drag back to the house. Mom and Tanner were pretty proud of us and there were high-fives all around. The sun was setting in the west, and a warm supper was on the stove. Doesn't get much better than that! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

IMG_0906.JPG

IMG_0907.JPG

IMG_0908.JPG

Turn off the video games and go make some memories! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Re: Yotie takes a dirt nap!!!

Sweet!! looks like a blast!! That's my idea of a "father/son outing right there! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

skully,
great outing, glad zack was there to put the finishing touches on a awsome father-son hunt! , he'll never forget it and neither will you. nice job fellas. ( whats that i hear?) howling in the background, another yoti with zacks name all over it!go make some memories boys!

A day well spent...congrats /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

NWBuck

iw.l_header.jpg
398ibalogo_1_.gif

PMA Memberships & Renewals and IBA Memberships & Renewals

hoofline.gif

I believe that a mature coyote is one of the most difficult and challenging animals to hunt. They have great eye sight, good hearing, an amazing sense of smell, and they are smart. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I would encourage everyone to give coyote hunting a try, it is a blast! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Congrats Skully! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

hoofline.gif

398IMG_0185.JPG
398ibalogo_1_.gif

PM
Ron Wyllie
Southwest Iowa IBA Area Representative
rwyllie@iowawhitetail.com

looks like a pretty big dog!!

nice work boys!!

That sounds like fun there...sure brings back some memories.

A big congrats for the Yote and for taking your son out with you..

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Way to go the smiles say it all.. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Top Bottom