Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

youth hunting question

tph

I was thinking about the youth hunting seasons and was wondering what is the age a kid has to be to hunt during a youth season? I tried looking for it in the regs but had no luck...thanks

A youth who buys their youth season tag before their 16th birthday can hunt the youth season. So that technically means if a youth's 16th birthday is on or after August 15th this year (first day tags go on sale), they could still hunt the youth season this fall. My daughter turned 16 on August 14th last year, so was one day short of being able to hunt another youth season.

Hunter safety can be taken once the youth turns 12, but will not be needed until they go to buy a regular hunting license at age 16. Good luck...youth season is the best one out there imho :way:

NWBuck

Thanks NWBuck I was going off memory. It's been 3 years so wasn't 100%. I know I need hunters safety at 14 so I could buy my license so my brother could hunt under my dads. And I agree youth is probably the best season.

Remember a youth age 12 a 15 is required to be with a licensed adult while hunting unless they have successfully completed a hunters education course.

And anyone age 11 and under is required to be supervised. The hunters education class can be taken at the age 11, but the certificate will only become valid once the child turns 12.

Plus if the youth hunts on there own (unsupervised), they not only need a game tag (deer or turkey), they also need a hunting license and a habitat stamp.

Plus if the youth hunts on there own (unsupervised), they not only need a game tag (deer or turkey), they also need a hunting license and a habitat stamp.

Good call...but each of these would also require the youth having completed the hunter safety course.

NWBuck

A youth who buys their youth season tag before their 16th birthday can hunt the youth season. So that technically means if a youth's 16th birthday is on or after August 15th this year (first day tags go on sale), they could still hunt the youth season this fall. My daughter turned 16 on August 14th last year, so was one day short of being able to hunt another youth season.

Hunter safety can be taken once the youth turns 12, but will not be needed until they go to buy a regular hunting license at age 16. Good luck...youth season is the best one out there imho :way:

NWBuck

X2, youth season is for sure my favorite. No minimum age and the tag good thru the rest of the mloader and shotgun seasons. The first crack at bucks still on the summer feeding pattern. My youngest has 5 more, I am looking forward to. My oldest son was totally bummed when he turned 16.

thanks for the info guys! this really clears it up for me..i think I undersand how it works now.

NWBuck

My birthday is August 15th ill turn 16 this year but if I buy a licence on my birthday I can hunt youth this year again? Im not sure I understand.

Don't mean to highjack the thread but this is my first year taking my daughter for the youth season and was curious if the youth tag is sold over the counter or you had to do something else to get it?

Sold over the counter and is good for every season until the tag is filled. In my opinion it's the best tag the state sells. You cant beat spending time with your kids in the woods!!!!!

In my opinion it's the best tag the state sells. You can't spend more quality time with your kids than in the woods.

I believe that if you are hunting on a youth tag, you are supposed to be with an licensed adult (supervised) regardless if you have completed the safety course or your age.

BONUS DEER HUNTS
Youth Deer Season​
. Iowa residents that are
less than 16 years old on the day they obtain a
license, are eligible for the Youth Season subject to
the following restrictions:

​
While hunting, youth hunters must be under the

direct supervision of an adult mentor who has a
valid Hunting License and has paid the Habitat​
Fee, if the adult is normally required to have​
them to hunt. Only one youth hunter may accompany​