Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

From the stand

At 10:30 I had a pretty good size covey of quail go by- pretty cool to watch. Deer action has quieted down- can see a group of pheasant hunters about 1/2 mile away - they were having a pretty good morning of hunting - at least lots of shooting

Got a call that my brother and nephew were in town for the day- so I'm passing this evening hunt and going to see them. Back at it tomorrow. Already have spots for stands at the orchard though

I spent the afternoon helping my dad put up a hoop building for his cattle because he's still not 100 percent from back surgery plus ya gotta keep the landowner happy. He knew I was gonna hunt but this took longer than he thought. Was almost to stand at around 230 and there was 10 deer standing at the creek crossing 30 yards from my stand. 3 nice bucks including the one I think was our #1 hitlister. So I turned around and went back to try and not bust them. He's lucky I didn't ten ring one of his damn Angus.

[QUOTE=" He's lucky I didn't ten ring one of his damn Angus.[/QUOTE]

Now that's funny right there! Except I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time :).

I spent the afternoon helping my dad put up a hoop building for his cattle because he's still not 100 percent from back surgery plus ya gotta keep the landowner happy. He knew I was gonna hunt but this took longer than he thought. Was almost to stand at around 230 and there was 10 deer standing at the creek crossing 30 yards from my stand. 3 nice bucks including the one I think was our #1 hitlister. So I turned around and went back to try and not bust them. He's lucky I didn't ten ring one of his damn Angus.

Haha I hear that angus is mighty tasty :) (although I'm allergic- thanks lonestar tick)

Sucks on the timing but good to hear they were moving- was wondering how they would be with this warm up today

Last edited:
Had 3 good bucks come into food plot tonight. Just out if range. 12 does. Saw our biggest 10 locked down with a doe. He was fallowing her in the food plot last evening. Tonight he was mounting her in the pasture.

Saw the buck with huge bases today- came up so quick and was literally less than 10 yards and I was on the ground- pretty cool experience. Had a shot but I'm giving him a pass- wanting to see what the rest of his rack does next year hoping it catches up to the bases. Named him "sirmixalot"

Wind has been beating me up- moved properties to my heated blind near standing beans. Hopefully it picks up at dusk

I'm 40yds or so inside timber in a heated blind. Picked beans straight south of me. Have 2 doe bedded at 50ish. The wind sure does whip every now and again. I had a great night Friday with early movement, thinking tonight may come a bit later.

Sent from my iPhone using IW

Just had 2 big toms run right in front of the blind. I have a turkey tag but they never slowed down

Right at 4:30 I had a real nice 10 walking right to the blind. Once he got closer I see he is missing 3 points off his right side- must have been a fighter. He is out eating beans right now

Put an arrow in an 8pt at 4:30. He ducked my shot so it hit a bit high and maybe 2-3 inches behind shoulder. Found 1/2 of my arrow which had 3-4inches of blood on it as well. The deer bolted fast right after the shot and ran right into a fence then ran 40yds straight north of my stand, stood for a min or 2 then bedded. At 5:05 2 doe walked right up to him and spooked him out of his bed where I saw him run north out of site. I got down, found the 1/2 arrow and absolutely no blood until I reached his bed. I walked 50ft or so more and saw that every 15-20 feet or so there was blood spots a little bigger than softball size and smaller blood drops in between those larger ones. I marked the trail and backed out. The blood seemed very thick and darker red. Do you think it's a fatal hit? I assume the other half arrow is still lodged in him with the broad head. I can only assume I hit some muscle judging by the blood but will track in the am. Any thoughts appreciated! Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using IW

RC10PT- it sounds like a muscle hit with that type of blood- but 1/2 an arrow worth on penetration and the amount of blood- I would think you hit something vital - especially with him wanting to bed so soon With it getting pretty cold tonight- I imagine there is a great chance of you finding him in a bed tomorrow pretty stiff. Look forward to harvest pics! Goodluck!

Got the call this AM that my Deer sticks and Jerky is done at Zebs in Bedford- all 46 LBS of sticks and jerky!:) So since I will be driving 2 hours down to get it- I will be hunting both AM and PM over my largest food plot on Tuesday - probably last time I will get out until Shotgun 1 and then late season split- which I will be taking both my muzzy and bow to the stands with me pending on the range they come in at

That 4:00 alarm came awfully quick- just headed by Osceola headed west. Hopefully today is the day it gets done.

Got the call this AM that my Deer sticks and Jerky is done at Zebs in Bedford- all 46 LBS of sticks and jerky!:) So since I will be driving 2 hours down to get it- I will be hunting both AM and PM over my largest food plot on Tuesday - probably last time I will get out until Shotgun 1 and then late season split- which I will be taking both my muzzy and bow to the stands with me pending on the range they come in at

Thanks for supporting Bedford!

Let us know how the action goes!

Now that rifle season has ended where I hunt, I am giving up on morning hunts and just focusing on food for the evening hunts. Love late season hunting.

Well this morning I had very little action- checked the camera cards and it seems most action had been before light in the AM and between 4-5 pm - so today was my last AM bow hunt. I also went over to my other place a few miles away to replace the batteries in 3 cameras and check the cards and as I am walking down to one camera I see a full grown MOUNTAIN LION walking right towards me. I have a bag of batteries in one hand and memory card in the other- bow in the car and my phone on the car charger Once it got to 30 or so feet my heart was RACING and I let it know I was there. It was down a den near by extremely quickly. I set up a camera near by once I calmed down. Crazy experience and not sure I liked it. Back at my other food plot now for the evening. I contemplated sitting near the Den with a shotgun but then realized how dumb that sounded and back to hunting deer now :).

That's crazy! Your gonna have to start a new lion thread with your pics and see if it hangs around the area this winter. Very cool....I think?

Top Bottom