Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Acorns to Oaks!

FAST!!!! Everything I listed above is pretty fast.

Let’s call one side of wildlife & habitat tree spectrum “slow”.... white oak maybe at the extreme. Which I love white oak. But it’s 20+ years often times before acorns are produced. Slow growing & can reach 400 years old. An icon of Iowa forest. That’s the slow end. & if u have non- make some space & plant some.
Faster producing & growing on other side - all of above for example. 3-5 years to decent size & production. Most guys spend more years TALKING about planting them than guys that actually grow them to size that’s producing nuts & fruit.

Chestnuts might be 7-8‘ tall in a few years..... realistically, 5-7 years old before putting out decent quantities. 10+ years it will really ramp up if grown right. Same with persimmon, etc. But ya- few years in good conditions and u will start seeing fruits or nuts. I’m in for the long game though. Love growing & planting them & even if it’s 10, 20 or 100 years for great benefits - I’m game. Heck, much or MOST of what I do isn’t for my direct benefit. For the land, ecosystem & environment, new generations, all animals & critters, etc. just love it.

Some keys to it.... diversity of plantings, planting less but doing it to the T correct, not doing overwhelming amount but rather do a “doable amount” every year (ok, personally I always over do it and I need to quit!), filling in dead spots & learning from mistakes - NOT GIVING UP. More to it than some think but far less to it for guys with a passion for it and ability to learn. Sorry on the longer rant. Good luck to all planting. Great way to spend time during this mess. Both my kids have learned tree planting this last few weeks. :)

I always over do it and I need to quit!), filling in dead spots & learning from mistakes - NOT GIVING UP.

^^^This for tree plantings!!

I’ve had years where plantings failed, but the site seemed great for the intended species. It was tried again on a drier year and they took the 2nd time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was an acorn collected off an alba from my farm. The tree seems to always have acorns and those acorns have been more vigorous than other albas I’ve started from seed. The growth rate seems to be really good far as Alba goes.

f38fb178097a1912345a284a9ec4823e.jpg

This was an acorn collected off an alba from my farm. The tree seems to always have acorns and those acorns have been more vigorous than other albas I’ve started from seed. The growth rate seems to be really good far as Alba goes.

f38fb178097a1912345a284a9ec4823e.jpg

Not done growing yet....

8c35e9870802bc88d906a7c381c95c37.jpg

I have some swamp white oak seedlings that I planted three years ago, that are now 6-8 feet tall in MN. I would guess that they would be at least a foot/two taller in Iowa. Next project is to plant 20-30 swamp white oaks with some hybrids on some former pasture in Western IA.

I have some swamp white oak seedlings that I planted three years ago, that are now 6-8 feet tall in MN. I would guess that they would be at least a foot/two taller in Iowa. Next project is to plant 20-30 swamp white oaks with some hybrids on some former pasture in Western IA.

Swamp white oaks can really put on the growth!

What kind of growth are you getting out of the regular white oaks (alba) up there?

Put 3 different Concordia oak scions (that have good fall color) on this swamp white oak. The side shoots were replaced with dwarf chinkapin oaks.

03bb80cd9538293bea92584efd2cb059.jpg

c3a3e5c37b734c1b6250ee5c95dc27c8.jpg

This shingle oak I was given when it was 5-6’ tall. It’s taken off this year, I believe it’s been in the ground three years now. I didn’t measure the growth but it’s nearing 24”

e84ace8ac94b246099b44c9907cb4c1a.jpg

Top Bottom