Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company
Is it too late to seed white clover right now? Better off frost seeding late winter/early spring? I have some fire breaks around new crp and got a fairly poor stand of clover. I just mowed the fire breaks and was wondering if i should broadcast more clover seed now.
Hard ? I’d maybe wait at this point but on fence. We are getting close to frosts being more common. & harder frosts. I’d probably wait at this point but that’s me.

Is it too late to seed white clover right now? Better off frost seeding late winter/early spring? I have some fire breaks around new crp and got a fairly poor stand of clover. I just mowed the fire breaks and was wondering if i should broadcast more clover seed now.
At the end of planting window. Probably get away with it tho. Sept 15 is published deadline but I bet be fine. Def a risk tho.

Crimson clover in little bottom section. About 18" tall. Just terminated for brassicas..... if it ever rains. View attachment 122881
I am going to use red clover because I am not there to be sure of the last frost. Going to plant mid March. My questions for you are how did you plant it? Broadcast or drill? Did you spray? Your stand looks great with very little weeds. I will be doing the same killing it around July 1st and broadcast Brassica at the end of July.

Last edited:
I am going to use red clover because I am not there to be sure of the last frost. Going to plant mid March. My questions for you are how did you plant it? Broadcast or drill? Did you spray? Your stand looks great with very little weeds. I will be doing the same killing it around July 1st and broadcast Brassica at the end of July.
Spray then a drop seeder on that one

Question on existing clover plots….I want to go in and frost seed additional clover in to most of my clover plots probably In March sometime because many of them are a bit thin in areas. Problem is that most of them I’m also fighting a lot of grassy weeds and so my plan is to hit them w cleth at green up but I’m wondering if that will kill or prevent the new clover seeds from the frost seeding from taking? Am I wasting my money on the seed if I then spray it in early spring?

Question on existing clover plots….I want to go in and frost seed additional clover in to most of my clover plots probably In March sometime because many of them are a bit thin in areas. Problem is that most of them I’m also fighting a lot of grassy weeds and so my plan is to hit them w cleth at green up but I’m wondering if that will kill or prevent the new clover seeds from the frost seeding from taking? Am I wasting my money on the seed if I then spray it in early spring?
IN my opinion/experience...your plan is very workable. I have probably done just that a dozen or more times over the years with acceptable success.

Now then...might someone else know a better way? Definite possibility. But I plan on doing this again soon in a couple of areas on my place, FWIW. Also, February is more when I have done so, although I sense that March would work too.

No issue at all. Spray away. I personally would wait until maybe may to spray. Allows all the grass to be aggressively growing where clethodim & crop oil will kill it the best. Has no hindrance to new or established clover. Spray away.

No issue at all. Spray away. I personally would wait until maybe may to spray. Allows all the grass to be aggressively growing where clethodim & crop oil will kill it the best. Has no hindrance to new or established clover. Spray away.
Thanks guys, thanks Daver!

You fellas feel it's to early tp frost seed white and red clovers .. Just timing not sure I am going to have a chance in March .. I would think March 1st is Prime. Thanks

Agree on early to mid March being prime.

I’d take April 1 over Feb 1 though, if those were my two choices. Better germination, and we always seem to get some cold, wet, snowish conditions in early to mid April every year to help work it in.

Long time member with limited posts! Have a feeling that will soon change!

We purchased a small hunting farm about 18 months ago and couldn’t be happier as it’s been a lifelong dream! The property has 3 established clover plots ranging in size from 1/3 acre to almost an acre. We have some work to do on them and have a soil test on one so far. We have been mowing and spraying as needed and plan to attack some sedge early this spring with imox. Also plan to frost seed along with spreading lime and fertilizer per the test results.

We established a new plot last spring in a timber clearing and frost seeded it. The results were ok but looking to improve and maybe expand it some this year. So here is my question: when I spread lime in the next week should I put down some 6-24-24? I don’t have a soil sample on this one and it’s only about 1000 sq ft. I plan to frost seed in March and could fertilize then or at a later time.

Appreciate any input and looking forward to learning more about plots and habitat management. Just haven‘t had time to read thru all of the informative posts.

Long time member with limited posts! Have a feeling that will soon change!

We purchased a small hunting farm about 18 months ago and couldn’t be happier as it’s been a lifelong dream! The property has 3 established clover plots ranging in size from 1/3 acre to almost an acre. We have some work to do on them and have a soil test on one so far. We have been mowing and spraying as needed and plan to attack some sedge early this spring with imox. Also plan to frost seed along with spreading lime and fertilizer per the test results.

We established a new plot last spring in a timber clearing and frost seeded it. The results were ok but looking to improve and maybe expand it some this year. So here is my question: when I spread lime in the next week should I put down some 6-24-24? I don’t have a soil sample on this one and it’s only about 1000 sq ft. I plan to frost seed in March and could fertilize then or at a later time.

Appreciate any input and looking forward to learning more about plots and habitat management. Just haven‘t had time to read thru all of the informative posts.
In sort, yes! Spreading the fertilizer will not hurt a thing. If it was previously timber then the soil will definitely need some amendments. By fertilizing now it gives the fertilizer a chance to break down with the freezing/thawing and become more accessible to the plants earlier. As you'll notice a lot of farmers are out spreading fertilizer now.

This season I’m finally going to get on top of some neglected clover. With a huge chore list I’ve let it slide in past. If it’s a priority- having a lush carpet of clover is one of the simplest food plots out there. After all these years of: clethodim & crop oil, trying Imox & then 2,4-d-B …. I usually just stuck with clethodim & crop oil & mowed for broadleaves.
After 15-20 years of using clethodim I have always left 2,4-d-b (Butyrac 200) out. Always thought the label said the 2 can’t be mixed. I’m sure folks have done it and with how hard clover is to kill- I’m sure likely be fine.
INTERESTING after all these years to see the 2 combined in the label for alfalfa.

PERSONALLY, I have not had great success with IMOX. Mediocre at best. But I do know others that swear by it. No doubt the cocktail preference would be cleth, crop oil & Butyrac if it won’t damage clover
*** I’m gonna try tank mixing both together on clover & I’ll post the results later. I’m 99.9% it’ll be fine. I’m gonna have one big concern…. Will these 2 clog the sprayer? Will it turn to sludge? That’s the part I’ll also find out & report back ;).
ED210EE2-3D8B-4818-ADF2-1E56E82345E1.jpeg

For many food plotters, optimizing their plots are the key to draw and holding power.

Ways to do so — 1) Expand the plot area, 2) Maximize yield or 3) Reduce deer population.

Not only is Alice clover near the top for palatability, but it is also the clear winner when comparing YIELD among other Ladino family varieties.

If you’re pressed for space, or have heavy browse pressure.. Alice is again, the clear winner at 0.84 tons / acre!

Attachment courtesy Barenburg Seed.

Attachments

• IMG_1484.jpeg
    IMG_1484.jpeg
    70.6 KB · Views: 101
I've done 2-4db, crop oil, and clethodim for several years and not had issues. I actually only learned last year it was not recommended. I didn't do it this year and I am actually disappointed in the 2-4db performance.

I also had poor results with imox.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

I've done 2-4db, crop oil, and clethodim for several years and not had issues. I actually only learned last year it was not recommended. I didn't do it this year and I am actually disappointed in the 2-4db performance.

I also had poor results with imox.

You used 2-4db & u didn’t like the results? Didn’t kill intended weeds or what weren’t satisfied with?

I didn't mix the 2-4db, clethodim, and crop oil all together and spray, just sprayed 2-4db and still had a fair amount of weeds. This was early May so it could be that things are just hard to kill that time of the year.

Top Bottom